GT86

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

priusmr2

GT86

Post by priusmr2 »

A few week ago my Toyota dealer let met drive the new GT86. What a great car. Keyless entry, very sporty seats. 200 Hp. Very short gearchange. tops. But, If i compare it to my MR2 i don't think it is as sporty. It's quite heavy and not as nimble as my car. Okay, it accelorates faster but it is too comfortable for a sportscar. Does any of you have the same experience?
Cheers, Ron
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: GT86

Post by Ryan S »

not driven one but i reckon a 2.0 n/a would be quite bland, 200bhp isn't a lot in a modern car, notr with all the safety features etc....
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

For straight line acceleration and general handling, i.e before you start really throwing it about and getting the back end out. I'd put it on a par with my lowered gen 6 Celica.

Power to weight feels about the same.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

were they not built for drifting? i suppose if that's what they're about then there's not much you can compare them too, stunning looking car though :thumleft: was in toyota showroom having a nosey at one on tuesday :thumleft:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

sheppy wrote:were they not built for drifting? i suppose if that's what they're about then there's not much you can compare them too, stunning looking car though :thumleft: was in toyota showroom having a nosey at one on tuesday :thumleft:

I don't think they were specifically built for drifting, just as a return to a fun resposive car that doesn't focus on grip and computer assistance like most modern cars.

If your local Toyota dealer is nice take one for a spin. My local MrT sales manager knew I couldn't afford one but still let me have a drive. 8)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i might do, there's a few come into my carwash on a weekly basis, hopefully they do a turbo version, then i'll be really interested :thumleft:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Wouldn't be suprised if Subaru put a turbo in the BRZ. :thumleft:

There are supercharger kits available from HKS and probably turbo ones as well, it is a boxer engine afterall. :mrgreen:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Limeymk1 wrote:Wouldn't be suprised if Subaru put a turbo in the BRZ. :thumleft:

There are supercharger kits available from HKS and probably turbo ones as well, it is a boxer engine afterall. :mrgreen:

yeah, i was of the understanding it was a normal 2.0 boxer like the imprezas, but when i was in the dealers the other day, they said it's not, it's a new engine designed (although still a boxer) by subaru :thumleft:

wrx engine in there would be awesome :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

sheppy wrote:were they not built for drifting? i suppose if that's what they're about then there's not much you can compare them too, stunning looking car though :thumleft: was in toyota showroom having a nosey at one on tuesday :thumleft:

Drifting was actually a pre-requisite in the development of the car a rare thing indeed.

I've driven one and I've driven pretty much every MR2 including NA's. The weight is about the same as an NA in all honesty and the GT86 has more power.

I'm saving for one. Currently have half the deposit I need. :)

I think it's every bit as sporty. Much sharper chassis I think than the MK2, with a nice balance too.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

at least toyota are making nice cars again :thumleft:

it really does look amazing!!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

sheppy wrote:at least toyota are making nice cars again :thumleft:

Have you seen one in black yet? =P~ =P~ =P~
craig

Post by craig »

Saw one other day. Looks good, but wouldn't pay 25k for one. Mainly because of engine/power output.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Limeymk1 wrote:

i've not, a really dark blue one comes into my carwash though, seen a red one in the showroom, looks awesome, red stitching in the seats etc....

stunning, have to agree though, for the power i'd certainly not be paying 25k!!
Donato

Post by Donato »

I drove the GT86 back before the public were allowed to. Fantastic car to drive. Just feels that bit sharper and stiffer than my MR2. I loved it and wanted one, couldn't afford one so i bought an MR2 instead :lol:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Limeymk1 wrote:

Was behind a black 62 plate last night on my way home, did look very nice but could of done with being debadged on the rear.
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

un1eash wrote:
Limeymk1 wrote:

Was behind a black 62 plate last night on my way home, did look very nice but could of done with being debadged on the rear.

Followed one of these the other night down a reasonable set of twisties, Looked pretty exotic from a distance, thought it wasa Ferrari or something until I got quite close. Shame he wasn't pushing it a bit more because I caught up quite easily in the Smart (Roadster) and was hoping to see what it could do. Was pretty wet and it's a new car though....
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Has anyone seen the DVD with Clarkson test driving one, he loved it, said it was one of the most fun/best cars he had driven in years for the price of it.
Loque

Post by Loque »

Toyota threw the keys at me about a month ago for an extended test drive. I wasn't a huge fan of the electronic power steering; to me the car only really felt really positive when it was travelling at between 60 & 80. The one I had also had a rattle behind the dash which drove me mental.

Either way, if I had to buy a new car today it's where my money would be going.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Compare the electric power steering of the GT86 though with the electric power steering in the MK2!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Loque

Post by Loque »

Point well made.

Return to “Driving Experiences”