Restoration and Respray (gets pic heavy)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Polypedates

Re: Restoration and Respray (gets pic heavy)

Post by Polypedates »

Well I've been restoring my car for the past 5 years or so and probably about half way through. So it can be done.

Yes, I could have bought another but I wanted to make 'my' car the bast 'I' could make it.

I couldn't care less whether it ever pays me back. I suppose it comes down to whether you just really love Mk1s or whether you can take a mercenary view of them and move on to something else when there are none left.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

elbon50 wrote:So point me to someone who has done a bareshell restoration on a Mk1 Lauren

Raises hand, it was all i ever used to do at one time, i also know several others that have done it too, the cars i've fully restored over 10 years ago are still alive and rot free.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
elbon50 wrote:So point me to someone who has done a bareshell restoration on a Mk1 Lauren

Raises hand, it was all i ever used to do at one time, i also know several others that have done it too, the cars i've fully restored over 10 years ago are still alive and rot free.

First I've heard of that Paul :thumleft:

Gary at Buxton & one or two places down South do some good work but even they don't do bareshell AFAIK

You are too busy with other things now I should think :)

Must say I am surprised that folk would spend the sort of money needed to do a full resto on an AW11

They'd be 10 years less rusty then though :-k

In 2012 it's not just bodywork it's interior, mechanical, the whole shooting match

EDIT : A few mins ago someone called here & said "that's a nice little car you've got"
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

See, restorations do happen, Peter.

There will be someone somewhere who has done a bare shell restoration. People don't do it because it's going to pay them back afterwards, they do it for the journey and to future proof their car.

Btw, I don't weld my car as I go, I've had it all undersealed and I expect to get it touched up every three years and not need any further welding. My car is not a 'patch up' type car that is barely held together by rust, not by any means. 27 year old cars do of course require maintenance and that's simply the nature of running an old car.

My theory (having had a few old cars before) is that you simply change everything mechanical and then it becomes reliable and is no problem providing you do things before they really need doing.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
mk1bexwa

Post by mk1bexwa »

The reason that I have gone through with this restoration is because I have engine conversion plans. We felt that there was no point in putting the engine in to run for a year, until the mot runs out, then the car be too far gone to be able to repair it without costing the earth or be beyond repair.

Anyway some new pics.

The new seals and guides fit a treat. So Saturday we got loads done to the car Pete put the front end together properly and I put the interior back together, which was interesting as I didnt take it apart :) .

Just got to put the bodykit on now and shes ready to go. Tax her tomorrow and then I get her back after 2 months away I cant wait. (feel like a kid just before christmas \:D/ )
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Hope you enjoy your newly re-furbished car Beckie :)

Am sure it will attract lots of complements & admiring glances

I fully agree with keeping all neccessary welding up to scratch for MoT & long term preservation of the car

Wouldn't personally have spent all that money on a full respray but who am i to say what others should do :)

Individuals do as they want & good luck to them

You've fitted new T-bar seals but are you certain that the bolts holding the central double channel aren't broken ?

Cos if thjey are then it's more than likely you'll still get leaks, new seals or no

Peter
mk1bexwa

Post by mk1bexwa »

yeah all of the metal bits under the seals were removed and replaced and new bolts fitted so hopefully it shouldnt leak.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

mk1bexwa wrote:yeah all of the metal bits under the seals were removed and replaced and new bolts fitted so hopefully it shouldnt leak.

You've done a good job there Beckie :thumleft:
stenky

Post by stenky »

...and there was so much laugh when i stated i want to restore my MK1 to be rustproof for at least another 15-20 years and that money should not be a problem (nor the car's value) :D
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

stenky wrote:...and there was so much laugh when i stated i want to restore my MK1 to be rustproof for at least another 15-20 years and that money should not be a problem (nor the car's value) :D

So have you done anything about that Stenky :?:

You could strip it bare & dip it

Few if any done that way I ssuspect :?
stenky

Post by stenky »

interior is out already. after i finish my diploma thesis and finally pass the finals, i will remove every single screw from that rust-bucket of mine :D
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

stenky wrote:interior is out already. after i finish my diploma thesis and finally pass the finals, i will remove every single screw from that rust-bucket of mine :D

Good :!:

Looking forward to reading all the gory details :)

What are you studying for your diploma ?
stenky

Post by stenky »

just slightly OT, but its called Applied Mechanics (read it "all about oscillations")
mk1bexwa

Post by mk1bexwa »

Shes home...

The day has come and she is taxed and home safe and sound tucked up in the garage.

But a few pics before she went in.

Just washed

Ok so a few bits need sorting, like the clip broke on the passenger side triangle window, so need a need one, drivers door window trim is bent, may need a new one, headlight needs adjusting drivers side, any ideas how? few bits and bobs need sorting and a good polish. Apart from that shes home.

So what do you think?
munter

Post by munter »

Nice one Beki! Car looks great. Personally purple isn't my colour but it certainly stands out and is unique!

Fix for the headlight covers is dead easy just remove the headlight shroud, four screws, then loosen off the four screws holding the cover. There is plenty of room for movement in the cover slots so it's a case of trial and error to keep tweaking the position until its nice and lined up.

Just be careful when raising/lowering the lights that your fingers or screwdrivers don't get jammed!

P
mk1bexwa

Post by mk1bexwa »

thanks for the headlight advice will have a look at it when I stop staring in awe over my car I just love it, I'm sad i know :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Looks really good in that colour, I think. Quite classy. Not convinced on the wheels, it's certainly a contrast though.

I would do the number plates in 12x6.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Looks great Beckie, i agree with Lauren, the wheels could do with changing, something like black BBS style on that would look stunning.
Adam W

Post by Adam W »

That looks fantastic! I agree with the others, curvy wheels look weird on a wedgy angular Mk1. A set of retro wheels would really set it off, perhaps bright silver would go well with purple, and continue the chocolate-bar-wrapper theme!
FossMan

Post by FossMan »

Looks like a great job! Would definitely get some new wheels though as a finishing touch!

I actually like the white, but they need to be something a bit more angular/retro. Didn't you have some black dished wheels before?

I reckon something along these lines (Compomotive TH Mono - 8*15):

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”