Hello - newbie here

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Damen

Hello - newbie here

Post by Damen »

Hi there, is this club Mk2 orientated?
I have a Mk1 and there doesn't seem to be a LOT of stuff regarding mk1's, is there somewhere else I would be better trying?
No intention to be rude, just most posts are Mk2 related. :)
Alex_Dunn

Re: Hello - newbie here

Post by Alex_Dunn »

imoc is for all years of the mr2 just most ppl seem to have a mk2 if you look there is more mk1 posts
michael

Post by michael »

The more MK1 people that join up the more MK1 stuff there will be :)

Welcome to IMOC!

Plenty of MK1 knowledge around here already so if you have any issues, questions or want to help out please hang around.
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Hi there,

Welcome to IMOC....lots of Mk1 owners just not as many as mk2. Some of the other admins own mk1 so there is lots of knowledge about them here.

Enjoy IMOC.

Regards
Esmond

IMOC-UK-Admin
biscuitsbrown

Post by biscuitsbrown »

Hello and welcome,

I've only been a member for 3 days but I'm gettin square eyes already. There's so much good knowledge and interesting stuff for all Mk's of MR2.

Enjoy

Regards Stu :D
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

Hello :D
craig

Post by craig »

Welcome to IMOC mate, as long as ya got an MR2 you're more than welcome here..........

...........oops sorry Mitch :lol:

Just kiddin bud! :wink:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Hi Damen,

There are a fair few of us MK1 nutters around so please feel free to join in.

I am currently on my third MK1 having had the cars for nearly 5 years now. I currently have a maddly modded and soon to be broken up SC and an early MK1 about to undergo restoration and cost me a fortune.

There's also Toni with her upcoming no holds barred twincharger conversion, Paul Woods with a MK1 V6 & a Turbo and then Crazylegs, Spudgun et al, who know pretty much every nut and bolt on a MK1.

I think its fair to say that there are a lot of MK2 owners on here, probably because the MK2 is so common ;)

But don't worry there are plenty of people here interested in MK1s.

If you have any questions please ask away

HTH

Lauren
IMOC-UK Admin Team
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Hi Damen

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Don't worry there are loads of mk1 owners on here,who will be able to solve loads of your problems and have a good chat.
A couple of years ago i felt like you but there are loads more on here now than then!!!
Keep looking and you will find loads of info and many mk1 owners.

Welcome to the club!!!!!
steve

Post by steve »

welcome 8)
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

welcome! a lot of MKII owners here but that's coz they haven't rusted away like the MK1 :D

i had a MK1 for a while before replacing it with a MKII. the guy that brought my car comes here now and then but it's still going with nearly 140k on the clock! good strong cars!

have a prob feel free to post in the right section and you should have a prob getting help.

only MR2's we seem to be low on are MK3's!
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Howdo, new mk1 owner myself... currently undergoing bodywork repairs (more extensive than I thought! eek!) and hopefully fitting a 2.0 turbo from either the mk2 or a GT4.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

[quote="Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon"
have a prob feel free to post in the right section and you should have a prob getting help.

[/quote]

Isn't there a no missing somewhere there Chris? ;)

yeah probably lauren but if i edit it then your post will look silly :)
Damen

Post by Damen »

Excellent, thanks for the warm reception..
I have had my car since August, and though she needs a bit of body work (rear wheel arches) she seems a great little car.

Would I be correct in saying that people tend to just stick another engine in (the 2l turbo by the sounds of things) rather than actually doing a lot of work on the existing engine?

Are there any die-hard must-do mods that anyone would suggest?

I need to feel that I am doing something to the car or she won't love me!! :?

Damen wrote:Excellent, thanks for the warm reception..
I have had my car since August, and though she needs a bit of body work (rear wheel arches) she seems a great little car.

Would I be correct in saying that people tend to just stick another engine in (the 2l turbo by the sounds of things) rather than actually doing a lot of work on the existing engine?

well on my little MK1 i went for a K&N air filter and a custom big bore exhaust, exhaust had a square shaped tip which went well with the car, made it sound the nuts too!

pic of my old beast :twisted:
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Is that gold?

Don't think I've seen that one before.

MegatronUK wrote:Is that gold?

Don't think I've seen that one before.

yep or as toyota nicely called that colour 'beige' quite rare, i owned it for a year and a half and saw 2 in that same colour in that time.

it's a VERY early one, made in dec 1984 and sold march 1985 if i remember right. early spec from engine to dash and didn't have the body kit like later models. no front spoiler or side skirts.

forgot to add it's driving around southampton area now for anyone who wants to keep an eye out for spotting it :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Damen wrote:Excellent, thanks for the warm reception..

The best mods you can do to it are on the suspension really. Particularly as any stock suspension is going to be well past its best now. Koni's and Fensport springs work very well and totally transform the car.

Also worth changing are the suspension bushes for polyurethane items as this really tightens up the handling further.

A 4-wheel alignment and geo setup is also well worthwhile and you'd want to do this after putting all that stuff on.

Engine wise the 4AGE is a gem. For most just putting on an air filter straight on the throttle body and a stainless exhaust is enough to make the car a lot of fun. The sound you get when the TVIS opens is just brilliant with a K&N or J&R on the throttle body.

You could unichip the engine, a friend of mine got 142bhp out of his with just a unichip and filter and exhaust. Cams can liberate a bit more and should see you nudging the 160bhp though you'll lose some low end driveability but it should still be perfectly tractable.

HTH
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Lauren, that pic above has the Front Mud Guards I was on about......
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”