misfire and bad starting.

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

briforbes

misfire and bad starting.

Post by briforbes »

This has probably been discussed a million times, but...

I regularly get a misfire when the car comes on boost, and when the weather is wet my car either refuses to start, or gets about 5 minutes down the road and stalls.

When it's a dry day I don't seem to have any problems. The car does feel pretty sluggish though.

I presume this points to a problem with something in the ignition system, so my first thought was to change the plugs and the distributor cap. Does this sound like the best thing to do? The leads were changed a little over a year ago, will they need changing again too?

So far I've broken down 6 times over the last 2 weeks - the worst being on the A1 on christmas eve on my way to spend christmas with the family :roll:

I also find that my HKS filter gets dripped on when it rains and eventually the car cuts out because of water getting sucked into the engine - anyone know of a cure for this?

thanks,

Brian.
Jonty

Yup, back to basics

Post by Jonty »

Hi Brian.

Sounds like you've been having a bad time of late, and around Christmas of all times! :(

Looking at the second part of your post, it sounds like you're getting an awful lot of water in your engine bay. I'm assuming it's not being sucked up off the road so must be getting too much in via the vent on top. I have a 93 Turbo and my engine bay is never a swimming pool. Might pay you to check out your drainage tray for damage..?

If I was in your positon I'd be doing the same, i.e. changing a few basic parts. The leads are fine -- my original ones lasted about 9.5 years and I only replaced them because I was bored. Go for a set of new plugs, dizzy cap, and rotor arm... but also look at the excessive moisture which won't be helping if it's getting into the system. Do you have the std airbox that you can refit..?

Regards,

Jonty.
pizza boy

Re: misfire and bad starting.

Post by pizza boy »

So far I've broken down 6 times over the last 2 weeks - the worst being on the A1 on christmas eve on my way to spend christmas with the family

lol lol! Benn there m8 exact same circumstances and the car misfired and conked out due to worn dizzy and rotor on xmas eve of all bloody days to see family :cry:
You should replace the dizzy rotor and plugs get them thru Toyota(plugs tho get anywhere else NGK BKR6EP-8 ) .I bought Blueprint parts and they are shoddy. MrT will bend you over for £60 odd. Lube up.

Return to “Mechanical”