mr2 vs

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

the poll that gets put at the beginning of a versus post, will it actually stop you driving your car hard

yeah, because i'm scared of what people think of me
9%
no way, i don't care what people think
9%
don't care. some people just love to whinge so i'll let them do it
59%
what poll?
23%

Total votes: 22

screech

mr2 vs

Post by screech »

seeing as how a poll gets added on a versus story i thought i'd do a poll about the poll.

to make this a versus story i just thought i'd add my experince with a crx vtec that was following me so closely through a 30 the other day - caught me up at about 45-50 i suppose he was doing (i wasn't speeding, it's near kids, bustops etc), anyway he followed right on my bumper all the way through town until we left town, just before leaving we had to slow down for a car turning, so i dropped it into 2nd doing about 20 mph. After the car turned off nailed the throttle, he followed (we were now in a national speedlimit), by the time i reached the end of 3rd he was nicely beaten, and just falling back so i slowed back down, then back to 30 as i reached town again, and this time he never bothered driving right up to my bumper, kept his distance this time, lesson learnt.
BLOODUK

Re: mr2 vs

Post by BLOODUK »

The people who vote the stick or stupid are very hypocritical
they flame when you mention over the speed limit, never
thinking about how they go over the speed limit every day!

only has to be 1mph and your over , i agree with flaming
silly speeds but racing is fine in my book aslong as
you dont drive like a total idiot.

and no the poll wouldnt affect me, ill still drive fast :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

The poll is supposed to be there to dissuade people from posting/boasting about irresponsible driving.

We don't actually want Vs posts posted at all in all honesty.

They are just immature, reckless, irresponsible, illegal, dangerous and demonstrate that the driver really needs to grow up.

Quite honestly i'd be happier if we simply removed any 'street racing Vs' posts.

Tbh if you post Vs posts then you only make yourself look silly.

BlookUK I for one am not hypocritical about this. I don't race on the road pure and simple. I think there is a difference with going 1mph over the speed limit and 80mph over the speed limit. Can you not see this?

Surely any form of racing on the road is the definition of driving like an idiot pure and simple?
Essex MR2

Post by Essex MR2 »

I don't see what's so irresponsible and stupid about the Vs post that screech has put up here. He stuck to the speed limits in the dangerous parts and probably didn't go much over the limit in the 60 zone. It was a straight forward blast to see how 2 cars compare on straight line performance. Don't see the problem with that at all.

I do HATE people that drive recklessly, i.e. excessive speeding as Lauren mentioned or dangerous driving in built up areas, or stupid overtaking endangouring other people not just themselves. You don't have to speed to drive dangerously.

It's all down to how responsible eople are. I think Screech has got it spot on. Oh and I don't think the poll will actuall dissuade anyone tbh. sorry.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Essex MR2 wrote:I don't see what's so irresponsible and stupid about the Vs post that screech has put up here. He stuck to the speed limits in the dangerous parts and probably didn't go much over the limit in the 60 zone. It was a straight forward blast to see how 2 cars compare on straight line performance. Don't see the problem with that at all.

I do HATE people that drive recklessly, i.e. excessive speeding as Lauren mentioned or dangerous driving in built up areas, or stupid overtaking endangouring other people not just themselves. You don't have to speed to drive dangerously.

It's all down to how responsible eople are. I think Screech has got it spot on. Oh and I don't think the poll will actuall dissuade anyone tbh. sorry.

My reply wasn't directed about Screech's post. I was replying more about the boasting posts of doing 150mph, accelerating to prevent other cars overtaking them etc.

I wholeheartedly agree that you don't have to speed to drive dangerously, you are preaching to the converted there!

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. The whole responsible thing. I definately get the impression that the poll doesn't have a big effect. The other issue we have is that we cannot as a club be seen to supporting or condoning illegal activities such as racing on the road.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

[-X

Why can't we just commend the moderators for actively trying to disuade members not to do silly speeds.

Bottom line is we are on public roads. These roads will not be nice and smooth like a track. At some of the speeds some are apparently "doing" it wouldn't take a much more then and uneven road surface/pot hole/ poor road material for you to lose it. Even in a straight line. The is one round about which is one of my favourites, it's all national speed limit but one of the exits that I use has a terrible bump/crack midway through the bend. Anything over 45mph and the back end wants to play. I've seen loads of RWD cars make that error there.

I've seen plenty of nobs "street racing". Quite a few accidents also as a result. I've been called out to a few of them. I've got 3 video footages of MR2's at drag event flying off the line and halfway down spinning out into a wall! How many times do you see proper drag cars loose it. Thats all on flat/track surfaces. Imagine the risk on public roads.

I dont think the mod's have a problem with some of the posts. ie this one with the CRX, which shows responsibility. But some are going on about "yeah I did 120 mph" or "I topped out in 5th" and even "I did 150mph"

To quote myself
At some of the speeds some are apparently "doing"

Sometimes I wonder if the speeds mentioned where actually done. Sometimes I read a thread and think thats probably and exaggeration. Anything over 100 in an MK2 MR2 anyway is pretty scary. The front end gets proper light. There have been a number of posts on how to take care of that problem. Either these people posting those stupid speeds don't care, or they are exaggerating.

I think we have all had our day's of reckless behaviour. Obviously some of these people are at that point. They'll either learn through age/growing up or they will learn through the loss of their 2, possibly more.

WOOHSAAH

N

:salut:
Essex MR2

Post by Essex MR2 »

=D>
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Lauren wrote:

We don't actually want Vs posts posted at all in all honesty.

They are just immature, reckless, irresponsible, illegal, dangerous and demonstrate that the driver really needs to grow up.

Quite honestly i'd be happier if we simply removed any 'street racing Vs' posts

Dear moderators, why don't you do this? Just ban all irresponsible "Versus" posts.
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

Stop whinging about it just put a bloody rule up NO more speeding or racing posts and lock any threads or delete any threads that dont play by the rules.

Simple!
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

Screech wrote:by the time i reached the end of 3rd he was nicely beaten

Essex MR2 wrote:He stuck to the speed limits in the dangerous parts and probably didn't go much over the limit in the 60 zone.

:mrgreen:
I say about 120 sounds about right :-$
ryan

Post by ryan »

I've never seen so much rubbish written.
:oops:

Do any of you really think that the 'vs' section encourages street racing?
I really can't see why any sort of sensoring on IMOC would make our highways safer.
At the end of the day, if you don't like this section, don't read it!I accept moderators have a job to do, but over zealous sensorship? :? :?
:roll:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

ryan wrote:I've never seen so much rubbish written.

I really can't see why any sort of sensoring on IMOC would make our highways safer.
At the end of the day, if you don't like this section, don't read it!I accept moderators have a job to do, but over zealous sensorship? :? :?

I think you may have missed the point. The section title was changed from 'Vs' to Driving Experienes for the very reason of not encouraging people to post about street racing. Of course i do not think that reading a post will start somebody off street racing. The obvious issues are:

New users and those that browse the forums may not be left with a good impression of IMOC and may think that we condone illegal street racing. Obviously we do not condone it and neither do we as a club want to portray the image that this kind of behaviour is acceptable. Yes of course there will be those that haven't grown up yet and drive irresponsibly whether there is a 'Vs' section or not, but really we don't want this kind of thing on the IMOC forum as we are trying to promote a club that in our eyes is about and for MR2 fanatics that we hope are responsible and want to be taken seriously with their interest in the car.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

ENSMR2 wrote:[-X

Why can't we just commend the moderators for actively trying to disuade members not to do silly speeds.

Bottom line is we are on public roads. These roads will not be nice and smooth like a track. At some of the speeds some are apparently "doing" it wouldn't take a much more then and uneven road surface/pot hole/ poor road material for you to lose it. Even in a straight line.

Excellent post. Nail -> head

=D>
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

Just to be a bit arsey :twisted: If you don't like the censoring of stupid driving threads DON'T READ IT!
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

where have I heard this record before?
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

ENSMR2 wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if the speeds mentioned where actually done. Sometimes I read a thread and think thats probably and exaggeration. Anything over 100 in an MK2 MR2 anyway is pretty scary. The front end gets proper light. There have been a number of posts on how to take care of that problem. Either these people posting those stupid speeds don't care, or they are exaggerating.

Whilst I agree with much of what you write, looking at your profile you seem to have put together a lot of tuning gear for someone who finds their car scary above 100 mph :? . Personally I got over this issue after about a month of having the car and I'm sure there are loads of others who don't find it too troubling either. No offence meant though mate.

I do agree with the comments re the road surfaces most wholeheartedly though, there are several stretches I know which are great up to a certain speed...add another 30mph and it can get pretty scary if you're not expecting it. And personally I really try never to push my luck on an unfamiliar piece of road!!
screech

Post by screech »

SFLee wrote:
Screech wrote:by the time i reached the end of 3rd he was nicely beaten

Essex MR2 wrote:He stuck to the speed limits in the dangerous parts and probably didn't go much over the limit in the 60 zone.

:mrgreen:
I say about 120 sounds about right :-$

3rd is about 90 at the redline i suppose, i got to about 6k - no point going any higher with a ct26. 120 is more like the end of 4th
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

BLOODUK wrote:The people who vote the stick or stupid are very hypocritical they flame when you mention over the speed limit, never
thinking about how they go over the speed limit every day!

Er...no. I value my driving licence too much to risk losing it for a few MPH over the limit, thus do not speed and don't class myself as being hypocritical on the voting.
There really is no excuse especially as nearly all our speedos over-read and there are plenty of signs along the roadside to inform people of the limit. No signs? Use some brain to establish a safe limit for yourself based on previous and/or similar road types.

I vote 'Stupid' on 99% of posts in this section because...99% of them are stupid.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by ryan »

nikaso wrote:

Just to be a bit arsey :twisted: If you don't like the censoring of stupid driving threads DON'T READ IT!

THe 'vs' posts aren't sensored at the moment, so you're not being arsey, just mis-reading (I was referring to the likleyhood of possible sensorship in future) [-(
ryan

Post by ryan »

Skywalker wrote::roll:

where have I heard this record before?

Shut up Luke :lol:

Return to “Driving Experiences”