[Mk2] [NA] My 3VZ-FE V6 Swap

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Poohbear

[Mk2] [NA] My 3VZ-FE V6 Swap

Post by Poohbear »

Although I'm not doing the swap myself (lack of time & facilities) Paul @ Woodsport is. I thought I would post up progress pictures anyway. :)

CTM headwork,3 angle valve job, porting, polishing, flowbenching and reshimming.....

Inlet porting...

heads on,centre plenum on,cam covers on....

Engine Before Swappage

Engine out ready to receive V6ness :)

Some more progress pictures :)

Engine in

Bob

Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!
3sgte

Re: [Mk2] [NA] My 3VZ-FE V6 Swap

Post by 3sgte »

looking good bob, ----very good indead

I am looking forward to seeing this in the flesh ,can i baggsy a ride :thumleft:
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

3sgte wrote:looking good bob, ----very good indead

I am looking forward to seeing this in the flesh ,can i baggsy a ride :thumleft:

Of course Marc, no worries...next Anglian meet I can get to, won't be as powerful as a tubby but should still be way quicker than my old GE :)

Bob
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Looks amazing :thumleft:

The V6 looks like it should've been there from the factory 8)
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

looking good mate, what kind of cost's are we talking about for the engine and labour separately...

before i knew anything about mr2's i saw a v6 for sale and thought...wtf, mr2's didn't come in v6's... :? :?

good luck with it all anyway mate and truly jealous in the sense of the noise they make, get a good exhaust on there and they sound awesome... :clap: :clap:
C50

Post by C50 »

nice 8)
fearless

Post by fearless »

pukka job i do love a v6 pulls in any gear and sounds awesome keep up the good work :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

mrtee wrote:looking good mate, what kind of cost's are we talking about for the engine and labour separately...

before i knew anything about mr2's i saw a v6 for sale and thought...wtf, mr2's didn't come in v6's... :? :?

good luck with it all anyway mate and truly jealous in the sense of the noise they make, get a good exhaust on there and they sound awesome... :clap: :clap:

Paul @ Woodsport charges £2500 for a drive in drive out swap including him supplying the donor Camry, I'm not 100% sure how that breaks down with regard to labour versus engine/parts etc.

Not much to update this with today, but it has been started and runs woo hoo.

Apexi filter and various other bits re-attached

Restrictive Camry 'T' piece exhaust downpipes replaced with better flowing 'Y' merged pipes. Fabricated by Mr Woods (tacked together waiting to be fully welded) :)

Bob
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I knew it would be blinged if it was yours!

Did you do the paintwork yourself?
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Poohbear wrote:
Paul @ Woodsport charges £2500 for a drive in drive out swap including him supplying the donor Camry, I'm not 100% sure how that breaks down with regard to labour versus engine/parts etc.

Bob

Does that include you keeping your old engine or is that taken in a kind of PX type of arrangment.
EarL

Post by EarL »

Tiny wrote:
Poohbear wrote:

Bob

Does that include you keeping your old engine or is that taken in a kind of PX type of arrangment.

Yes, the price includes crating your old engine and shipping it back to you (or where ever else).

Paul's work really is second to none. :thumleft:
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

matt_mr2t wrote:I knew it would be blinged if it was yours!

Did you do the paintwork yourself?

Hi Matt,

The paintwork is all done by Paul to my colour scheme and is included in the drive in drive out price :)
The man is an absolute legend with the way he bends over backwards to get the car exactly as you want it.

Bob
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Seconded .. no other MR2 garage gives value like Woodsport, the pride he takes in his work and the level of customer satisfaction really is legendary.

My 2nd V6 starts this month ... :)
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Damn You ive got a V6 hankering now =P~

Im quite tempted now Turbo's great and everything but for balls out v6 loveliness for from what i can read about is very little if noticable at all power loss over a tubby.
Im really tempted now The fact that it will do the planned trip i have later in the year without needing an oil change half way back would be good.

What is the servicing like on these?
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

Hi Bob,

How good would that look polished????mmmmm, bet you've been thinking about it!

Must've been hard letting go of the 3sGE after all the work you've done though, been offered a tubby engine to put in mine and although I want want want, it'll be a shame top let the engine go.

I think your engine will get snapped up which will help go towards the V6. If you get enough I might be next.

Any chance of you doing a matching firewall heatshield to go with the fantastic manifold one. Will fit on every MK2 too so should shift. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Cheers

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Tiny wrote:Damn You ive got a V6 hankering now =P~

Im quite tempted now Turbo's great and everything but for balls out v6 loveliness for from what i can read about is very little if noticable at all power loss over a tubby.

There's very little loss over a Rev 1/2, a bit more with a Rev 3 ... but, the delivery, in my opinion is just so much better. Smoother. B roads are just so much nicer in a V6. Less twitchy on the corners.

Tiny wrote:
Im really tempted now The fact that it will do the planned trip i have later in the year without needing an oil change half way back would be good.

What is the servicing like on these?

Cheap as chips mate - it's a Camry engine, will go 3 times around the clock if maintained - and with the way Woodsport strip them down and replace all the gaskets, then you're onto a winner.
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

So no oil change every 3K then? that was getting exspensive every 2 months. what kind of mileage can i expect interms of fuel comparible to the tubby or abit worse im getting just over 330 to a tank if im careful in my rev2 about 250-80 if im boosting it lots
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Has he left anything for you to polish bob, even if its just a tiny bit :D
OlberJ

Post by OlberJ »

The engine lid release catch. That's Bob's only bit to do :cyclops:
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

ah ive noticed another bit, the custom SS fuse cover bob is making, thats why he did it, so that he had something to polish \:D/

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”