un1eash

Re: HD-DVD is dead!

Post by un1eash »

Watch those PS3 sales rocket now.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

im glad its all over.

well, jus aslong as MS get on and make me a BR player like they have hinted.
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

all HD-DVD maers have had blue-ray already there for productions, as did blur-ray having HD.
the taiwanse weren't fussed about following a format and have already been making a player that'll handle both, so it was only a matter of time untill one became dominant & other faded away and all manufacturers can/will mke both.

shame for the folks who spunked £X00's on HD only players though! that's why i held out with good DVD player with HDMI upscalling through a quality amp. Been watching 1080i films for a while.

quite glad blue-ray won though, them blue LED's rock! lol

wonder if MS will mke a blue-ray player for the XBOX 360 now or will i have to buy a player, hmmmmm :-k
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

Steve Horrocks wrote:shame for the folks who spunked £X00's on HD only players though

the funny thing is the same can be said for the people who bought the first bluray players.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

SamUK wrote:
Steve Horrocks wrote:shame for the folks who spunked £X00's on HD only players though

the funny thing is the same can be said for the people who bought the first bluray players.

This can be said about anyone who buys technology when its new, even dvd players use to cost £200-300. The reason i brought a HD-DVD player and PS3 was i thort why waste £70-80 on a sony upscaling dvd player when i can get a HD player for £200 with 7 films. I wanted a standalone dvd player and didnt really want to use the PS3 for normal dvds.

They still need to bring the price down though.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Price has been coming down steadily - but if HD-DVD oficially gives in, then the price may not fall as quick.

Of course, the other side is that more and more manufacturers will start to make BD players and this will help.

Have to watch out for the cheaper Blu-Ray players - they are probably not BD+ compliant !

Rob
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I have to say, I'll be happy when one does finally win. But I take anything from a PS based website to be very bias.

I'll wait a bit longer until I walk into a shop and there are no HD players.

Out of interest, if they do stop making HD players, will the films dry up? Obviously there wouldnt be new ones (or would there?) but would the old ones be taken off the shelves?

I remember when I finally got a Minidisc player it was too late. I went to buy a minidisc in HMV and the guy told me they dont make them any more #-o
Still, bloody handy tool for recording from my decks.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

matt_mr2t wrote:I have to say, I'll be happy when one does finally win. But I take anything from a PS based website to be very bias.

Yes, I thought it was a slightly biased site as well !

But this crowd are good and reliable

http://www.highdefdigest.com/

On the HD-DVD movies,it should go with the market - if stores are still selling the "last" of their HD-DVD discs, then they'll keep them on the shelves til they dry up.
But, in reality - Blu-Ray backers will be handing out nice little brown envelopes to ensure stores are Blu-Ray exclusive ! See above website re WalMart etc

Rob
Last edited by Spidey on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Just noticed this on yahoo aswell....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080218/t ... 574_2.html
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

It says there that Blu Ray outsells HD in Japan even without including the PS3.

Dunno why, but I dont really believe that?
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

un1eash wrote:
SamUK wrote:

This can be said about anyone who buys technology when its new, even dvd players use to cost £200-300.

you missed my point.

they are about to roll out a new profile for bluray (2.0 i think) and anyone who has a player that cant connect to the net is screwed because they cant get it.

which in turn means that some of the latest films wont work properly.

so they have splashed out nearly a grand for a player thats about as useful as a HD-DVD player now.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Thats not true sam cause they can put the updates on the bluray films and games so when you play the disc it detects if you are running the most up to date firmware and updates from the disc,I have had two films and a game do this without going online

A grand for a player :lol: :lol: :lol: www.richersounds.co.uk have asony bluray player with 6 top films for 300GBP
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

well everything ive read on the net says differently and i dont think any films utilise the new profile yet so there probably not the same updates.

and i was talking about the people who bought them when they came out.

then they were about a grand.

edit - http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/65080

first link that came up on google.

i said before somewhere that the PS3 is the only safe player to have at the moment.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Yeah fair comment on the fact when they come, out cant explain why a couple of mine did updates perhaps it sneeked online without me really paying much notice.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I've been considering getting a PS3 purely to watch Bluray films and may be the odd game here and there.

Seen a couple on ebay for about 200 quid.
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

matt_mr2t wrote:It says there that Blu Ray outsells HD in Japan even without including the PS3.

Dunno why, but I dont really believe that?

I personaly believe that.

Microsfot is American & Sony is Japanese, the Japanese will rather buy Sony's stuff over American stuff when it comes to electronics/gadgets. Well thats what I reckon anyway
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Toshiba is Japanese....
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

Ahh... erm.. lol
Still think it's because they prefer sony & microsoft backed HD so they followed sony.. duno.. im happy though, I have a ps3 lol....
So maybe im biased lol
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I am seriously considering buying a PS3 now purely for the BR player lol.

In fact I just bid on one on ebay lol.

Return to “Games Consoles”