rear wheel bearing

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

daliscar

rear wheel bearing

Post by daliscar »

Hi, I'm changing a rear wheel bearing. Does anyone know the torque for the hub nut?
Any tips for getting the bearing out? is it worth taking the whole hub and driveshaft out and stripping it on the bench, or will the bearing come out without taking the whole hub off?
Many thanks...
^Trickster^

Re: rear wheel bearing

Post by ^Trickster^ »

You have to take the complete hub off, which only yakes about 20 minutes anyway.

Take the nut on the end of the driveshaft needs to be tightend with an air impact gun really, but you can do it by hand, its over 200NM anyway.

You will need a press to get it out of the hub, they are a big bearing.

Graeme
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

Nightmare job.

I had to do both rear ones on my old tubby about 5 months ago, and also have got to do one this weekend.

Takes bout 2/2.5 hours to do fella, without airgun

:x
eddy simpson

wheel bearing

Post by eddy simpson »

not too bad a job. if you have access to a bench vise and oxy/acc bottles it can be done in an hour easy.
nutter

Post by nutter »

I took my hubs off then took them to a garage and got them to remove the old bearings and press the new ones in. This will save you a bit of cash. Add loads of time! (and loads of skin from your knuckles :) )
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

IMO, not one I wanted to DIY - I took it to a garage - parts plus labour was abou £200 at Westerfield's near Basildon.

You'll need a ~20 tonne press to get the old bearing out and install the new one.

Return to “Mechanical”