MK1: Any tips on how to get the heater matrix out?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

MK1: Any tips on how to get the heater matrix out?

Post by Lauren »

Hi All,

I have got the unenviable task of taking the heater matrix out of my SC and transplanting it into my early car due to the 86 car having a leaking one.

I'm expecting to have to take out pretty much the whole dash in order to do this and don't mind this, but obviously if anyone knows of any useful shortcuts i'm listening IYSWIM!

Cheers,

Lauren
waynestoyotamr2

Re: MK1: Any tips on how to get the heater matrix out?

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

I dont know any

HTH

;)
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:I dont know any

HTH

;)

A fat lot of use you are ;)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

i dont envy you at all lauren,horrible job...jinxy has just done it with kev not so long back,they might have a few pointers...i refuse to do em point blank,too much work.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Heater Matrix & housing now removed!

Post by Lauren »

Paul Woods wrote:i dont envy you at all lauren,horrible job...jinxy has just done it with kev not so long back,they might have a few pointers...i refuse to do em point blank,too much work.

I can see why having just removed the whole unit complete from my SC. It really is a complete PITA. Took me nearly 3 hours to get it out.

Now i have the incredibly unenviable task of taking out the shagged one from the early car and mix and matching the parts so i can fit the one i've just taken out of my SC in.

I'm not sure whether to try and open the plastic housing which the matrix sits in and fit it to the MK1 A housing or try and transfer the housing complete knowing that there are some differences as the later car has a motor rather than levers to operate the controls.

Had to take the whole dash out right down to the dash brace/mount thingy which i had to loosen off to get the matrix housing out. Have about 5 million screws and nuts now.

If the weather is good tomorrow i might just try and do the rest of it. Can;t seem to find the 'crying my eyes out' emoticon! ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Update and a bit of a naughty idea

Post by Lauren »

After having a look at the matrix and housing i notice that the heat exchanger itself simply pulls out of the housing.

I am nearly sorely tempted to cut a hole int the front bulkhead and simply pull the old one out then put the new one in and get a plate made to go over the hole. I know its naughty but god would it save some time and save the hassle of trying to reconstruct the dash afterwards!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

not a bad idea lauren,im all for invention although you will have the purists bangin on your door! would certainly make the job easier.
waynestoyotamr2

Re: Update and a bit of a naughty idea

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Lauren wrote:After having a look at the matrix and housing i notice that the heat exchanger itself simply pulls out of the housing.

I am nearly sorely tempted to cut a hole int the front bulkhead and simply pull the old one out then put the new one in and get a plate made to go over the hole. I know its naughty but god would it save some time and save the hassle of trying to reconstruct the dash afterwards!

JFDI :-)
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Update and a bit of a naughty idea

Post by Lauren »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:
Lauren wrote:After having a look at the matrix and housing i notice that the heat exchanger itself simply pulls out of the housing.

JFDI :-)

I tell you what if i had known that the matrix comes out of the back of the housing, ie facing the front bulkhead I would have definately cut a hole.

I'm in two minds whether to do this to the car that the good matrix is going into. One of my concerns is that it looks like someone has had a go before at removing the dash trim as it doesn't all seem to fit that well in places and one of the vents is loose on the passenger side of the dash, so i'm kind of wondering whether i need to take it apart and put it back together properly. But I am sorely tempted by cutting a hole in the bulkhead given that there is already the hole for the pipes that protrude through it and the size of the hole wouldn't be much bigger than that of a stock sized car stereo. I guess i would need to find a way to get it plated up, but as the car is going into the bodyshop for extensive bodywork ie all rear arch panels both sides, i guess it wouldn't make much difference to the price anyway.

i'm umming and ahhing about it, mainly because if i ever had problems with the replacement matrix then it'd make sorting it out a damn sight easier.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

Lauren the hole seems a good idea to me.As you have found out the only other way is a complete strip down.As you said a real PITA.Why not do a "how to do it " article ?
The hole could surely either have a plate welded on or just bolted through.Either way would be strong enough IMO.Not sure how the MOT person would take it, but would they look?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

i think if you make a neat enough job of it with some nice speed clips and bolts and maybe with a bit of a rubber gasket to stop water ingress that it would be a nice mod that wouldnt look too out of place,the anoraks will come down on you like a pile of poo though.
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

I reckon it sounds like a good idea. You could use, what we call "clinch nuts" at work to put some threads in there for bolting on the new plate. They work like rivets, you must have seen em.
Get on and do it Lauren, I can't see the MOT man being very interested.
Shame its not a Pug 205 there bloody easy to do, which is strange to say when working on french cars :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Paul Woods wrote:i think if you make a neat enough job of it with some nice speed clips and bolts and maybe with a bit of a rubber gasket to stop water ingress that it would be a nice mod that wouldnt look too out of place,the anoraks will come down on you like a pile of poo though.

Think i've decided that i'm going to do it the easier way. I agree with an appropriate seal it could look pretty stock.

With the dodgy plastic trim thingy in front of it you won't see it anyways.

I'll start preparing myself for the likes of Richard Morgan et al.. ;)

I seriously think that this could be a useful shortcut for all those with leaking heater matrices out there. Its just a matter of managing to cut the hole nice and neatly. I think i'll have to drill it and get a small grinder in there and just take my time with it.

I'll try and get on it this weekend as am back at work tomorrow.
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

how about using a cutting disc on a dremel? That would soon make short work of it.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

spudgun wrote:how about using a cutting disc on a dremel? That would soon make short work of it.

Good idea, it might take a while though and i do wonder how long the disc would last, mind you they are cheap enough and it'll certainly make it easier to make a neat job of it. Handily Mark has one so i'll use that.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

lauren you have got to do some form of write up on this with cutting measurements etc....if it helps any i use a wafer thin cutting disc on a 4" grinder that makes a very neat job of things like this .They are expensive but wont remove much material in the cut.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Paul Woods wrote:lauren you have got to do some form of write up on this with cutting measurements etc....if it helps any i use a wafer thin cutting disc on a 4" grinder that makes a very neat job of things like this .They are expensive but wont remove much material in the cut.

I'll see what i can get hold of. If the dremel doesn't take forever i'll probably plump for that as it'll be a lot easier to control. I have access to various size grinders so i'll look into it. I won't use a stock grinder wheel though as its way to wide.

Yep i agree, i sort of feel compelled to do a write up now which i'll circulate through IMOC and the MK1 Club.

I think i'm learning lots of little things now i'm doing the restoration stuff, am quite enjoying it too.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I think i'm learning lots of little things now i'm doing the restoration stuff, am quite enjoying it too.

Well i wish i could say the same,ive been restoring them day in day out for the last 8 years and although i love mk1s with a passion im getting sick of replacing rear arches and doing head gaskets,it bores me to tears to be honest.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Paul Woods wrote:

Well i wish i could say the same,ive been restoring them day in day out for the last 8 years and although i love mk1s with a passion im getting sick of replacing rear arches and doing head gaskets,it bores me to tears to be honest.

Tis a bit different when its your own car though. Mind you i'm not overly looking forward to swopping suspension and brakes yet again. Must be the fourth car these struts have been on!
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Morning Lauren, i would definately go for the hole in the bulkhead, it really is a nightmare of a job to take the dash out, simply appauling & it would really end up testing your love for the car in the end , its got to be better than ending up with this mess :-

if you use the Dremmell i find the reinforced dics with the fibre running through them a really good cutting disc and last heaps longer than the others, only one other thing to add to this, if you can change the heat exchanger ( think this is what its called, the thing with 3 coils on it ) it would be worth it as mine was very thin and looked like it had nearly burnt through, this would probably save you a lot of grief later, if you need one i can send you one foc if you get stuck, GOOD LUCK, you will need it, i will say a prayer to the Toyota gods for you.......... they owe me one :lol: :lol: , Jinxy

Return to “Mechanical”