Serious loss of power - where'd it go????

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Fizzy

Serious loss of power - where'd it go????

Post by Fizzy »

All I did was remove coil, ignitor and a few other bits, inspect and find hairline crack on coil, dry and repair crack with epoxy, replace lot. All tested perfect, runs perfect, but recon i'm down by 60 bhp (will check asap). Definate power loss - but why?? Coil is working perfect, 8mm leads etc. It feels as though the timing has been altered but with a unichip is this possible? Wife says its all in my head !![/b]
raptor95GTS

Re: Serious loss of power - where'd it go????

Post by raptor95GTS »

why do you think you are down by 60BHP? Did you put the cap back on in exactly the place it came from, is there any scope for twisting it while fitting?
Fizzy

Post by Fizzy »

no chance of it having moved - though thats what it feels like. Just bought one of those GTECH bhp meters so I can make some sort of judgement?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

fizzy. wrote:no chance of it having moved - though thats what it feels like. Just bought one of those GTECH bhp meters so I can make some sort of judgement?

nope, pile of xxxx LOL. I don't see how these things work since a head or tail wind is gonna affect the outcome not to mention gearing etc etc

Best bet is to get it dyno'd
Fizzy

Post by Fizzy »

well it arrived today - tested up road, then down road and got exactly same answer - problem it it was 180 at the wheels - which is a good 100 bhp down from last time!! i just cant figure it out!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”