FAO mark1 owners!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rev2_mike

FAO mark1 owners!!

Post by Rev2_mike »

How much do you think i should be thinking about paying for a supercharger? After REALLY enjoying my mk1 NA i'm thinking of getting another - but would like to go for a supercharger really.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: FAO mark1 owners!!

Post by Lauren »

Say:

£2000 for one that needs tidying but is basically ok
2.5K for a reasonable SC
3K for a good one
3.5K for a minter or Super Edition with all the goodies.

I would say look in the 2.5-3K region for a nice SC.
branny crashed turbo

Post by branny crashed turbo »

the money isnt the issue... its FINDING one thats the issue... :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

branny crashed turbo wrote:the money isnt the issue... its FINDING one thats the issue... :)

True to a point, but as long as you don't mind taking the time to find the right car there are always a few up for sale at some point.

I'd say expect the search to take a couple of months. It is a rare car after all.
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

I guess that seems pretty true from the couple of times ive thought about it before - can you still import them or is it a case of waiting for one in the uk? Out of interest what do you SC owners find about insurance? As there arent many about are insurance companies 'funny' about the car?
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Houghton Insurance Group through the MR2 Mk1 Club will insure an SC for the same price as an NA.

www.mr2mk1club.com for more info.

HTH.
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Rev2_mike wrote:I guess that seems pretty true from the couple of times ive thought about it before - can you still import them or is it a case of waiting for one in the uk? Out of interest what do you SC owners find about insurance? As there arent many about are insurance companies 'funny' about the car?

You can still import them though it will work out more expensive that way.

would estimate around the 5K mark.

Pete Mason recently imported a very nice SC but he did pay for it.
waynestoyotamr2

Agree with Lauren. 5k for an absolutely sparkling one.

Take a look at my website in a few days. It is covering Japanese Auctions for Mk1's and will give you a good indication of the prices and quality available.

www.mk1toyotamr2.co.uk
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

mike you need to speak to michael sheavills the mk1 club north east are organiser...he has for sale the cleanest mk1 sc ive ever had at the garage or ever driven come to that.Now im thinking about it its the best mk1 na or sc ive ever seen.Its a white over silver SC but an auto :cry: which spoils it for me but you WILL NOT find a cleaner example in the UK.To add this car won best SC at JAE2004.

Contact michael for details. [email protected]
waynestoyotamr2

Cant agree more, it is a fantastic example.

However, it is AUTO which makes it not worth £5200 Mik wants for it!

Luckily, I dont think Mik is in a rush to sell.

ps. I prefered it with the standard polished alloys!!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Wouldn't go for an auto unless thats what you really want. Sounds obvious but its like the manual only with the fun removed.
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

there's a fine looking one for £5k mark on www.japanese-direct-imports.co.uk which looks nice :D

i'd love one as a second runabout! :twisted:
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

Hi Paul - thanks for the suggestion, but as others have said as well, the auto part spoils it. I had a (gulp) prelude a couple of years back and that was an auto, dull, dull, dull! Im just putting feelers out at the moment for it, not sure when im going to buy (certainly not for a couple of months). But at the risk of upsetting a lot of mk2 owners, i did enjoy my mk1 more than my current mk2 (yes i know its only an NA!) even though i think the mk2 is a better car. So im looking for another car soonish - either a SC or join everyone else and get a turbo! Ive driven a k plate turbo but never even seen a SC, so i may have to get active about turning up to some imoc events and seeing a SC in the flesh!
Last edited by Rev2_mike on Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

See, i told you so !!! another mk2 owner that wants to drive a propper mr2 and cant wait to get back into the seat of a MK1......... go for it, you know it makes sense :lol: :lol: :lol: , Jinxy
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:See, i told you so !!! another mk2 owner that wants to drive a propper mr2 and cant wait to get back into the seat of a MK1......... go for it, you know it makes sense :lol: :lol: :lol: , Jinxy

tbh i'm not surprised as there has been a few notable people who have gone from tubbies to MK1s and much prefer them.

Jon Leech and Paul Moores to name just two.
waynestoyotamr2

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:there's a fine looking one for £5k mark on www.japanese-direct-imports.co.uk which looks nice :D

i'd love one as a second runabout! :twisted:

Now that is incredibly over priced IMO!

Lauren wrote:
Tony jinxy froude wrote:See, i told you so !!! another mk2 owner that wants to drive a propper mr2 and cant wait to get back into the seat of a MK1......... go for it, you know it makes sense :lol: :lol: :lol: , Jinxy

tbh i'm not surprised as there has been a few notable people who have gone from tubbies to MK1s and much prefer them.

Jon Leech and Paul Moores to name just two.

and me too! :)

mainly coz i think paying £5k for an '88 car that will rust like mad is mental when you can get a higher powered MR2 turbo for the same money and that is unlikely to rust, plus it has a proper mans 2 litre engine :D

i think the best MR2 was probably paul woods MK1 turbo! :wink:
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

well, my mk1 t-bar cost me £600, and was the best £600 ive ever spent! The money ive paid for my mk2 to buy and run in 6 months i could have bought 5 mk1's!!!

i loved my MK1 was loads of fun and pretty easy to drive too, i managed to get the handling after a few months, the spin surprised me though :shock:
still it made me fell the car a bit more.

the turbo is also fun to drive but in a different way. the MK1 was fun in the bends but felt slow and underpowered on fast straight roads. the MKII turbo on the other hand flies! give it a straight get the right gear and you'll outrun most stuff with ease!

i find the MKII a harder drive as it doesn't have the cornering speed of the MK1 and i feel the turbo can make it easy to spin if it comes in to early on a corner. i do find the MKII turbo gives more warning if it's going to step out on you than my mk1 which was pretty much all grip till you over did it then no warning it would just swing out.
i had the back end slide out when i got my MKII turbo, wasn't to used to it and it step out on a t junction but it was very smooth and i got it to step back in line really easily!

2 different cars that can't be compared in my opinion, the only thing in common between all the MR2's is the badge on the back :D
that aint a bad thing though!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

i think the best MR2 was probably paul woods MK1 turbo!
from a "best of both worlds" perspective maybe mate.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”