Oil Filter Thread

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

V8Killer

Oil Filter Thread

Post by V8Killer »

Was checking up part numbers on the oil filter and noticed that the part number changed from June 92 onwards.

What i want to know if if the oil filter thread is the same on Rev 1/2s compared to Rev 3s.

Cheers
M5
Mikejc

Re: Oil Filter Thread

Post by Mikejc »

I asked this very question a couple of weeks ago at my local Toyota dealer because I too had noticed the difference in serial numbers. They told me that both availible filters would fit any Revision MR2 Turbo. When I asked as to why they had changed the numbers they didn't seem to know!?

If you find out let me know out of interest buddy :wink:

Mikejc
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Only thing i can assume is sometimes Toyota have a habit of superceding part nummbers, which may be discontinued with other compatible ones. They are most likely all the same across the revisions.
M5
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

That's right about the superceding of part numbers.
The NA oil filter I got a while back was 90080-91045 and it stated it was interchangeable with 90915-10001 (not 100% sure of that last number as I've had to zoom into a pic of the filter box :D ).
Nelo

Post by Nelo »

V8Killer wrote:Only thing i can assume is sometimes Toyota have a habit of superceding part nummbers, which may be discontinued with other compatible ones. They are most likely all the same across the revisions.

That why the part number changed. The original filter was superceded by the current one which also fits a couple of extra cars now which is probably the reason it was sup'd in the first place to cut down on production costs maybe?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”