HID bulbs etc

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rev2_mike

HID bulbs etc

Post by Rev2_mike »

Ive seen other people say recently that they're bulbs aren't that bright and i find that on my car. Seems pretty easy to just replace the bulbs - is it? Is there a catch? is it as simple as replacing the bulbs and thats it? Are there any legal points and setup criteria that have to be followed?

Like i saw these bulbs on ebay and they're really cheap - so are they either rubbish or require something else etc?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 14554&rd=1
Last edited by Rev2_mike on Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michael

Re: HID bulbs etc

Post by michael »

They will look bright but will probably light the road up worse than a set of cheap ones from your local 24 hour garage - you get what you pay for with bulbs and having seen group tests of bulbs over the years some of them are scary - constant winners are Osram and Philips - if you want to see where you are going invest in a set of Osram Superwhites or the Philips Premium +30%, Vision Plus +50% or if you want a white/blue look the Philips Blue Vision.

A good read here:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... d/bad.html
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

PIAA bulbs are what you want really or a set of HID's for £450 like i have :)

that link you post shoes a small gif anim of stock and HID but i dunno why as there not HID bulbs his selling! :?:
michael

Post by michael »

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:PIAA bulbs are what you want really or a set of HID's for £450 like i have :)

PIAA didn't score too well against many of the cheaper bulbs.

And your HIDs are illegal due to the lack of auto level adjustment and washers - plus there is a group buy on the Supra forum at the moment and they are only £295 :)

ok so they're patchy on how legal they are :)

you'll find that for £295 though they'll be cack! mine are very good quality being jap. also for £295 i suspect there fixed beam and not H4?

my H4's are the exact same size as my normal H4 bulbs which gives me the correct beam pattern as well :)

i may get a revision 6 quad lamp conversion later and see if they could sort me out a HID projector style unit to replace the reflectors.

i think HID's from a ford may fit the rogue units :D
michael

Post by michael »

Chris 'aka bumboy' Ammon wrote:ok so they're patchy on how legal they are :)

Nothing patchy about it, it's illegal to have them fitted without self levelling and washers, neither of which you have :)

you'll find that for £295 though they'll be cack! mine are very good quality being jap. also for £295 i suspect there fixed beam and not H4?

They are Philips units, available in h4, h1, h3, h7 9004, 9005, 9006. In addition to this they come with the smallest balast - 85x70x9mm

Group buy prices:

10- 15 £274.95
15-20 £266.73
20+ £258.50

4300's are £10 cheaper.

my H4's are the exact same size as my normal H4 bulbs which gives me the correct beam pattern as well :)

Doesn't help with the legal aspects though :)

CLICK HERE <<<< for the group buy info
Jon S

Post by Jon S »

Why do you have to have washers?
michael

Post by michael »

Jon S wrote:Why do you have to have washers?

*shrug* no idea on the reasons behind it but it's the law.

CLICK ME

In particular:

6.2.9. Other requirements

Dipped-beam headlamps with gas-discharge light sources shall only be permitted in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No 45.

Jon S wrote:Why do you have to have washers?

because they think dirt can re-direct the beam onto on coming traffic and also HID's don't get hot so if there covered in snow washes could clear it although they'd probably get frozen up :)

Return to “Modifications”