Rolling Road Dyno Day

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonno

Rolling Road Dyno Day

Post by jonno »

As title really, can I have a quick show of hands on who is interested and where people would like to go?

My first choice is John Noble Motorsports in chesterfield but I am open to suggestions - midlands ideally since its central (obviously) to everyone and more people can make it.

I was thinking of the end of March the same as last year.

For anyone who didnt go to last years dyno day at Noble Motorsports it was great fun, the details are here : IMOC John Noble Motorsports Dyno Day

Neil.
michael

Re: Rolling Road Dyno Day

Post by michael »

*hand*
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

Lauren recommends Geoff Bloor in Nottingham, on 0115-982-1803. He is based at pavillion road and his garage is literally right near the entrance of Notts Forest FC just on the south side of Trent Bridge. He used to tune her SC and is an ex racer, well up on turbos. We're gonna be making an appointment to have ours checked over early in the new year, and get a power run to set a baseline for future mods.
Might be a suitable spot for an RR day. Shaf might not recommend Nobles after his latest run.
michael

Post by michael »

How much power can the Geoff Bloor dyno handle?

I'd prefer Nobles, it's the only roller dyno I've been happy with - failing that Thor would be my next choice.
stevel

Post by stevel »

My hand is up. Wasn’t too happy with my last power run at Milways so would be interesting to see any difference now before any future mods.
Not fussed where really :)
Last edited by stevel on Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

michael wrote:How much power can the Geoff Bloor dyno handle?

I'd prefer Nobles, it's the only roller dyno I've been happy with - failing that Thor would be my next choice.

I'll find out as soon as we go back to work. I plan to get ours on for a diagnostic and power run as soon as possible to make sure the car is ok before throwing some mods at it, so I'll let you know how we do.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Make sure it can handle four wheel drives and I might come! :)
T
jonno

Post by jonno »

I have spoken to Thor already - they will book out their dynapack to us for the day but its our responsibility to make the best use of it. Even with the best will in the world it will work out at about £50-60 per car due to the time it takes to put them on the dynapack.

Due to some of the cars that will attend it needs to be a dyno that can do 2wd 400fwhp minimum, there arnt that many around! Nobles can do 600bhp 2wd and 1200 4wd. From memory its about £30 for 2wd and £60 4wd for 3 power runs and a printout of the best.

I will call Geoff Bloor when i get back to work and have a chat to him about his dyno - anyone got contact details?

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

jonno wrote:I have spoken to Thor already - they will book out their dynapack to us for the day but its our responsibility to make the best use of it. Even with the best will in the world it will work out at about £50-60 per car due to the time it takes to put them on the dynapack.

Due to some of the cars that will attend it needs to be a dyno that can do 2wd 400fwhp minimum, there arnt that many around! Nobles can do 600bhp 2wd and 1200 4wd. From memory its about £30 for 2wd and £60 4wd for 3 power runs and a printout of the best.

I will call Geoff Bloor when i get back to work and have a chat to him about his dyno - anyone got contact details?

Neil.

Couple of posts up the thread, chap. Geoff Bloor in Nottingham, on 0115-982-1803
jonno

Post by jonno »

Couple of posts up the thread, chap. Geoff Bloor in Nottingham, on 0115-982-1803

Ta, I skimmed the thread and missed that bit :)

Anyone got any other recommendations for big dyno's in the midlands? I feel sure that there ought to be one in Birmingham somewhere but I have never heard of one?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

jonno wrote:I have spoken to Thor already - they will book out their dynapack to us for the day but its our responsibility to make the best use of it. Even with the best will in the world it will work out at about £50-60 per car due to the time it takes to put them on the dynapack.

Hi Neil,

I've made some informal arrangements with Thor for an MR2 dyno day, which we (Rogue Systems) will subsidise to bring the costs down. If there's sufficient support from the big horse power guys, we could perhaps get the event featured in a magazine?

Rogue
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

ME ME ME ME ME ME :twisted:
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Sounds good Patrick. You can put me down for that if it comes together :)

Mikejc
jonno

Post by jonno »

Hi Patrick,

Sounds good to me, although Pete mentioned that it would be pretty expensive to run their kit at another location, i.e your place. He seemed to think that it wouldnt be financially viable due to the limited number of cars they would be able to run on a dynapack.

I guess if your prepared to subsidise it I dont mind arranging it with Thor and maybe Banzai? I know how busy you are ;)

Email me directly if you want to chat, or MSN [email protected] - Whatever we do I feel its important to get something moving in the first few months of this year, end of March would be an good date since as last year proved anyone who hasnt got their engine ready by then is going to be struggling for TOTB anyway!.

Neil.
jonno

Post by jonno »

The more I think about it, it would be a damn good excuse to write some custome "dyno day" type code that hooked into the phpBB backend DB. The power figures could show up in each users profile and they could upload dyno plots and also maybe enter the real numbers from their plot into a form to allow them to compare against other users on the same plot?

I did something similar last year for the Noble Motorsports day but I have some better ideas now :)

I will give it some thought whilst I continue to gloss my woodwork and stair banisters....

Neil.
michael

Post by michael »

Make it happen code monkey :)

Cracking idea.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Sounds good to me, I'm longing to get my car rolling roaded now it's finally running 1.3 Bar 8)
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

I :wink:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

jonno wrote:I guess if your prepared to subsidise it I dont mind arranging it with Thor and maybe Banzai? I know how busy you are ;)

I'll give you a shout next week when we're back at work. You're right that it is currently too expensive to run it at our premises, although we might give that a go one Sunday in the summer when can run it in the car park outside. (We should also be able to transport the dynapacks ourselves in the battlebus by then). Who knows!

Anyway, I'll call you in the week and we'll get the ball rolling.

Cheers,

Rogue
jonno

Post by jonno »

OK, so far we have the following...

Michael
stevel
Hedgehog Dodger
Rowland_W
Andy F

MR2Mania (If his car is ready!)
tonigmr2 (maybe if 4wd)
Mikejc (only if patrick does it)

So, thats 5 definite and 3 maybe - hardly the raging success I was hoping for!. We will definitely need ~14 places filled to bother with this event, especially if we use somewhere professional like Nobles. I will call Geoff Bloor on Tuesday when I get back to work and Nobles and get some provisional dates and prices. Then I will make a decision next Sunday and decide if its worth running the event with those that have expressed an interest by then. The topic has been viewed over 100 times so its not like nobody has seen it!. Hopefully more will sign up once I set a date and some definite prices?

Surely there must be more people who want to run at TOTB that would be up for it? With Andy and Dan running there will be some serious competition this time! maybe sombody will touch 500bhp?

GTSChris you should be ready for this?

Return to “Past Events”