xxxx - BEWARE (spamming)

We all need a little help or parts for our cars from time to time. Let us know who has helped. Please read the sticky before posting.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

System-G

xxxx - BEWARE (spamming)

Post by System-G »

Some how TB have got hold of my email address and are sending unsolicited emails to that account (invite to his forum). He has also spammed other people I know including my partner with the same invite.

I feel this is an invasion of our privacy and I am not impressed at all.

He is saying that we have registered on his site or in his shop (???) for newsletters which is a completely not true as neither of us have have any requirements for his products or services.

If anyone else is experiencing the same thing, then I'm sure Trading Standards and his ISP would love to hear from you :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
DavidM

Re: xxxx - BEWARE (spamming)

Post by DavidM »

Yep, I got an unsolicited email invite to "his" forum today.
I wonder where he got the database from :wink:
EX Caribbean Blue 10th Anniversary 1996 T-bar
EX Black 1995 mk2 GT Turbo
NOW Audi TT V6 3.2 DSG 2004 Coupe
michael

Post by michael »

Oh joy, another witch hunt - I don't see this as being Trader feedback either.
System-G

Post by System-G »

It's not a witch hunt...

And this is deffo trader feedback :thumleft:
michael

Post by michael »

System-G wrote:It's not a witch hunt...

Of course not :roll:
System-G

Post by System-G »

It honestly isn't.

I'm a bit eff'd off about it - it's kinda like those cold calls when you're in the middle of dinner...
I really only took offence when his replies to my partner requesting his source of email addresses became abusive.

I have also been advised to also report his antics to ico.gov.uk
michael

Post by michael »

Just be sure you know the source of the messages before you ring James Bond to come and sort it out, in the current climate I wouldn't be shocked if it was someone out to tarnish his name further.
Harry

Post by Harry »

[quote="michael"]Just be sure you know the source of the messages before you ring James Bond...
LMAO :mrgreen: :lol: :eye:
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

OK - before any toys start leaving prams :wink:

It would appear that Tim or someone at xxxx has contacted a number of IMOC members via email requesting that they join his forum. It would also appear that these emails are unsolicited/spam as the addresses used in a few cases can only have been obtained from IMOC member listings.

If true, then I hope we'd agree this isn't good business practice so it can be posted in Trader Feedback, even though it doesn't directly reflect on the high quality of goods and services that Tim provides generally.

Please let's not let this degenerate into another thread with the potential to split people into one camp or the other.

Tim sells good stuff. He seems to be good at fixing MR2s as well. However, IF this latest thing is true, then it's a pretty daft thing to have done considering recent events and it will p1$$ off a number of people and they have every right to post about it here, as they could if it were another trader doing the same.
Tim-B

Post by Tim-B »

Just so people know I sent a newsletter inviting people to view our new forum, this was sent via a mass email generated by the shop, there was over 1100 email address in that database that the system stored from customers/signed up viewers etc (not sure exactly how it gathers those address)

I've never even spoke to you SystemG so I don't have your email address other than this way.

I personally don't see a problem with this, its 1 email, it’s not like the system was calling you at 1am getting you out of bed. I get about 40 spam emails a day and I just press delete, which I feel you should have done if not interested, do you feel the need to email and report every email you receive that’s of a generic nature or am I mistaken and this is the first ever generic email you’ve ever received?

You say this isn’t a witch hunt, but I feel you’ve only posted this to cause trouble yet again for me, despite you sending me an abuse email which I explained why and how you were emailed and apologised if you were offended, I also removed your address at your request, so why did you feel the need to continue this futher on another forum apart to try and discredit futher?.

I mean come on, do you threaten to report Tesco's for sending advertising letters through your door every time you get a local paper?

Some people’s mentality never ceases to amazes me.

Tim
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

System-G wrote:Some how TB have got hold of my email address and are sending unsolicited emails to that account :

Not to point out the obvious but your e-mail address is at the bottom of the page on any post you make. #-o

If you dont want to be sent e-mails by anybody, dont put it on a public forum. :thumleft:

Oh and cheers Tim for the e-mail, wasn`t aware you were starting another forum. Competition is always good for the customer. :wink:
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

i got a e-mail,
had a look at the sire and looked very good,
i certaiinly didnt mind as its something new fresh and something to keep me busy,
I personally dont see the prob if it was done legit,
hope it turns out as good as imoc, best of luck :thumleft:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Funnily enough, even though I am registered on Tim's site, I haven't received an email - I wonder why :lol:
EarL

Post by EarL »

Leeroy wrote:Funnily enough, even though I am registered on Tim's site, I haven't received an email - I wonder why :lol:

Probably because you're a trouble maker Leeroy, and you enjoy stirring things up for Tim.

Just my 2p though...
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

:o

:tongue:
Tim-B

Post by Tim-B »

i'm not stopping you joining leeroy, you should have also recieved an email as you say you were on the list i believe.

Tim
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

ok, maybe its in the loop somewhere... 8)
Tim-B

Post by Tim-B »

maybe it was deleted by your spam filter #-o

Tim
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

I joined today after receiving same email.Great site cheers tim :thumleft: .

I assumed he got the email from the members list which is open to see by anyone,so don't get this response to be honest :-k .
Tim-B

Post by Tim-B »

i know what you mean mate, everyones got there email address on display so anyone could do this.

Although i didn't have time to go through all 8000 odd members on imoc sending them all emails. This was done through a mail list my website had collect. like i said i'm not sure how it actually collects those names but i've removed address from that list at peoples request, so i see no reason to continue this futher by posting it all over this forum when imoc has nothing to do with this what so ever.

All i can see is that some people have nothing better to do apart from try and cause trouble.

Tim

Return to “Trader Feedback”