MOD order please ?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SFLee

MOD order please ?

Post by SFLee »

how do people go about moding fuel upgrade and cost ?
I know you need ems/piggy back to run bigger injector so my question is

If I going to at thing in stages

EMS with base map

1 Fuel pump 255l/h to replace stock pump
drop the tank to do ?? how much would garage charge ?

2 850cc injector x 4 on a std rev 3 rail ?? or aftermarkert rail ?
and when do you do this ?? at the tuner place ?since the car will run crap without mapping ? how much fitting cost ?? and 1000cc better for 400 to 450 bhp? (final goal)

and internal bit , the reason you need to change them is boost PSI or BHP ?? same running a large turbo with low psi same 15 will the stock internal be ok ?
nutter

Re: MOD order please ?

Post by nutter »

Hi M8,

1. Yes you have to drop the tank to do replace the pump. Just dropped mine. It took me 2 hours. I would expect a decnt mechinac with access to a lift could do it in under an hour.

2. If your aiming for that sort of power i would look at something aftermarket, i'm not sure if these guys sell fuel rails for rev3's but take a look www.wolfkatz.com. The standard rev 3 rail is meant to be quite good though, not sure it's good enough for 450hp? I would think for 450hp you would need an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator (aeromotive etc). If you fitted one of these you could fit the injectors and turn the base fuel pressure down until you got to the tuners and then they could tweak it (this is what i will be doing with my rev2)

I think bhp is the factor when looking at fuel injectors. You could have a massive turbo running 15psi and pushing loads of air into the engine, it would need as much fuel as a tiny turbo at 30psi for example.

HTH
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Just FWIW - I know someone who fitted 850cc injectors. One side effect was that even with a MOTEC and the injectors running the minimum duty cycle the idle was around 1,200 rpm and a little uneven.

At full power (around 330 when I last talked to him, the turbo had a lot more to give) the injectors were only flowing fuel 50% of the time.

Ben.
jonno

Post by jonno »

I run 850's with a Motec and it does idle slightly uneven although mine sits at about 950rpm.

I always blamed the cams (hks 264's) but having seen a few cars with big injectors and stock cams lately (not MR2's) they idle the same as mine.

Personally I would just pay a decent mapper to fit the ECU and injectors at the same time - nothing worse than damaging something due to the fuelling being wrong. Try Thor in coventry - they do loads of that kind of stuff.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

i know but the worest thing is take it to the tuner and found out either bit is missing or dont fit !! then it will be a problem also , how long does it take ? and any place closer (london)
jonno

Post by jonno »

Get them to supply and fit - for something as serious as an ECU I would travel anywhere in the UK. Personally I would recommend either Thor Racing (Coventry) or Owen Developments (Oxford).

Trust me, it really isnt worth the grief of not doing the job properly, if your ECU isnt 100% neither is your car.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...

Return to “Modifications”