replacing rear window spoiler & wiring in a brake light

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

magic_alex

replacing rear window spoiler & wiring in a brake light

Post by magic_alex »

hi everybody

dunno if spoiler is the right name for the bit that goes around the rear window but ive got hold of the later one with a rooftop brake light & want to put it on my '92 N/A mr2.

so all i need to know is how do i get old part off & how do wire up the extra brake light bearing in mind i only have standard rear brake lights at the moment?

any ideas?
Stef Derner

Re: replacing rear window spoiler & wiring in a brake light

Post by Stef Derner »

'tis a wee bit involved, but not too tricky.
Remove the trims each side of the engine bay cover, this will uncover self tappers that secure the high level brake light/window surround, remove these self tappers.
Remove the lids for the cubbies behind the seats, this will allow you to gain access to remove the side covers under the windows (you may have to remove the subs/storage box at this point).
Remove the coat hangers (prise up the little lid and remove the screw)
Remove the trim around the side windows, the trim above and below the rear window.
Now you will be able to see holes across the top of the window with nuts visible inside, you will need a 10mm socket for them, a socket is best because they will drop off if you use a spanner, and chances are they'll drop down inside the shell never to be seen again.....heard....but not seen.
IIRC there are 6 nuts and two clips each side at the back.
The trick is to remove the nuts, get out of the car and pull the ends of the surround up at each side, and the whole thing will ease backwards, allowing you to remove it.
It's not as difficult as it sounds, just go steady and you won't have any trouble.
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

fantastic cheers for that Stef.
doesnt sound half as horrendous as i was expecting although theres time yet im sure.

so how about the break light anybody know how i wire it up?
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

You might find there's a plug already for it - Toyota used the same loom for all cars. If not, run a wire from your brakelight, thru the bulkhead and up to the top of the window (it'll be easy with all the trim out) and take a local ground for the other side (pick a body bolt and clean it to give a good earth conection) or run two wires if you wanna make it simple.
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

excellent cheers for your help mate really appreciate it :)

Return to “Electrical”