Going rate for 3SGTE's at the mo..

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MegatronUK

Going rate for 3SGTE's at the mo..

Post by MegatronUK »

Hey folks, just looking for current prices for complete 3SGTE units (complete engine + turbo + ecu + harness), not really concerned as to the revision MR2 they would be from, or if they came from a ST185/ST205 GT4...

... just trying to see if an engine swap for the mk1 is possible!

What have people been paying recently?
PW@Woodsport

Re: Going rate for 3SGTE's at the mo..

Post by PW@Woodsport »

hi mate,the guy who bought my mk1 turbo blew the engine up as you know,hes just bought a complete rev2 with all ancillaries and gearbox for £600.

Some 1.5 builders pay up to £1500 for the complete mk2 turbo rear end clip.My advice is if you're going to go for the turbo swap go for a rev3,the AFM rev 1/2 versions suck ,pardon the pun.

Id pay no more than £1000 for an engine and gearbox bearing in mind you still need to find gt4 or SC CV joints and a few other parts.

The turbo swap is constantly being compared to the SC in terms of performance but theres no contest,the 1.5's are in a different league.

Bear in mind you will need up to £1000 for brake and suspension upgrades but the mk2 turbo rear struts will bolt straight up with a little top mount hole widening,that means if you get a mk2 turbo rear clip you will have the suspension for free :)
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Wow, £600 thats cheap as chips ;-) ... I guess a rev 3 would be a fair bit more though.

I didn't realise that you could re-use the rear mk1 struts - that certainly makes an MR2 rear cut a lot more practical than a GT4 front. £1000 is a bit more than what I really want to pay for a donor engine and box, as you say, the suspension and brakes would be to uprate - incidentally, other than the 4 pot ST205 system, are there any other bolt-ons that that would work well?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

well im sticking the st185 gt4 twin piston calipers onto the v6,thats a straight bolt on job (just some threads to tap into the mk1 hubs).They should work well,also the st185 discs share the same 54mm centre bore which means they only need 3 of the 4/100 pcd drilling into their face (one of the 5 stud holes is already in the correct place).

Theres now about 5 more mk1 turbos being built in the uk and 2 V6's that i know of,you can extract some serious performance from the little mk1 when you shove a silly engine into it.If you want any pointers let me know.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Aha! I was looking at my dads brakes the other day, thinking about how similar they looked! Nice one!

Got the bodywork to finish off and a few bits and pieces to do, but I'm trying to find out as much as possible before we think about a conversion... that way it should be easier when/if we go down that road.

Thanks again Paul
JB MK1

Post by JB MK1 »

Regarding front brakes. I have done a conversion using Willwood 4 pot calipers and VW Corrado 280 mm discs on my Mk1 ready for the V6 engine. I have got a set of TSW Apex 16" wheels which fit easily over this set up. I can send you details of the conversion if you want. It's not going to be on the road for some time so let's hope they work!!
If you want some ST185 calipers I have just put some on ebay, as Paul Woods says they bolt straight on. If you haven't already done so you must read Paul's articles on his Mk1 conversions on the Mk1 website. You can buy a good V6 Camry complete quite cheaply!!!
Good luck Jonathan
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

hi jonathan,welcome to imoc!
podge

Post by podge »

hi there im in the middle of this swap (3sgte) and baought my rear clip for £750 but be prepared my front brakes cost me £250 (gt4 st205 ) but in the end when i finish it illhave a real quick car for under 2 grand without future mods anyway :D
JJ

Post by JJ »

MegatronUK wrote:Hey folks, just looking for current prices for complete 3SGTE units (complete engine + turbo + ecu + harness), not really concerned as to the revision MR2 they would be from, or if they came from a ST185/ST205 GT4...

... just trying to see if an engine swap for the mk1 is possible!

What have people been paying recently?

Complete clip required ? In the north east too ??

I have just the ticket ! email me if your seriously interested. :wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||

Return to “Modifications”