[Mk3] [NA] How to add extra power to MK3?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James Junior

[Mk3] [NA] How to add extra power to MK3?

Post by James Junior »

I am thinking of buying a MK3 and wondered if there are any simple mods you can do to boost the power and give it some more torque?

I am aware of the turbo pack but can't be bothered with the expense...

Any feedback would be gratefully received.
Turbo-G

Re: [Mk3] [NA] How to tune a MK3?

Post by Turbo-G »

James Junior wrote:I am thinking of buying a MK3 and wondered if there are any simple mods you can do to boost the power and give it some more torque?

I am aware of the turbo pack but can't be bothered with the expense...

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Its not a case of whether you can be bothered with the expense, its whether you want the performance that the turbo kits introduce from the likes of TTE etc.

If sticking n/a then the usual bolt on's as with any car tbh - Induction kit and Exhaust... Could go ITB's I guess, but for the costs involved you may aswell go turbo...
Rogue

Re: [Mk3] [NA] How to add extra power to MK3?

Post by Rogue »

Cost is king I'm afraid. Modern engines are pretty well engineered which means there's very little to be gained from them for just a few pounds.

Turbocharging is one obvious solution, installing the 2ZZGE engine from a Celica or Elise is the other. Both will cost similar money (assuming Power Enterprise turbo kit) and both will yield around 190bhp.

Patrick
James Junior

Re: [Mk3] [NA] How to add extra power to MK3?

Post by James Junior »

What would be the total costs of a transplant or the turbo kit + fitting?

Wouldn't it make it hard to sell the car on?

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”