Hmmm to keep the tein's or not

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Hmmm to keep the tein's or not

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

i'm so undecided on if i should keep the tein coil overs i'm getting from across the pod or not.

i'm tempted to whack them on ebay and keep the profit instead and spend a tiny bit of the profit on lowering springs. just starting to feel that coil overs maybe a bit OTT

i like the standard ride hide and feel as it is hmmmm

opinions people i'm a bit confused :roll:
nutter

Re: Hmmm to keep the tein's or not

Post by nutter »

unless you're gonna go on loads of track days. I say ditch them. I have full GAB suspension on my tubby, it's rock hard makes the car twitchy on the limit on uneven surfaces, and the missus complains the ride is too hard (not the first time :wink: ). I reckon standard shocks with Eibach springs is more than man enough for most cases.
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

nutter wrote:it's rock hard makes the car twitchy on the limit on uneven surfaces, and the missus complains the ride is too hard.

Mine too :wink:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I'd sell them Chris,

You are not really going to get the full benefit of coil overs on the road, only the expensive rebuild costs.

I don't see any point in having a rock hard ride on the road.

I see coilovers as biased to track work. Unless you do a lot of trackdays i'd say it isn't worth it.

I think half the problem is that a lot of people go for them because everyone else who has modded their car to the nth degree seems to have them.

At most i'd say get some aftermarket dampers and springs but tailor them toward road use ie don't go too hard or too low. lowering more than an inch will mess up the geometry anyway.
jonno

Post by jonno »

I have yet to ride in a car with coilovers that was any good at all on the road - they are always too hard and tend to skip over the slightest bump. Maybe its the owners that havent understood that adjustability doesent just mean cranking it up as hard as it will go, i dont know?

Personally I can recommend Koni Adjustables and Eibach springs - rev1 cars had rebuildable struts that take the koni inserts directly - anything after rev1 will need to source a set of rev1 struts (there are plenty kicking around for little money). Makes for a very stable suspension setup in a MkII, on the softest setting its drivable on the road and nearer the stiffest settings its quite nice on track too.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...

jonno wrote:I have yet to ride in a car with coilovers that was any good at all on the road - they are always too hard and tend to skip over the slightest bump. Maybe its the owners that havent understood that adjustability doesent just mean cranking it up as hard as it will go, i dont know?

Personally I can recommend Koni Adjustables and Eibach springs - rev1 cars had rebuildable struts that take the koni inserts directly - anything after rev1 will need to source a set of rev1 struts (there are plenty kicking around for little money). Makes for a very stable suspension setup in a MkII, on the softest setting its drivable on the road and nearer the stiffest settings its quite nice on track too.

Neil.

i think that's what i may do, sell the tein's for now. keep the cash as i need it right now really and then get a Koni set up and some springs.

i'll probably do 1 track day a year or maybe none this year! so coil overs seem like over kill!
i like the car's ride as it is and don't want it to be to hard as the roads down my way are kinda harsh! don't want the car to skim across the road! to hard will probably make me slower across rougher roads too.
jonno

Post by jonno »

i think that's what i may do, sell the tein's for now. keep the cash as i need it right now really and then get a Koni set up and some springs.

Change the ARB bushes first and get a proper alignment done, the standard suspension is actually pretty good on the road and just with a set of lowering springs its fine for the odd track day - i was amazed at how quick JJ was with stock dampers and some lowering springs around Donington.

Spend the money on S03's or F1's ;)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...

yeah sounds best cheers jonno, nice motor by the way. think i saw it at JAE earlier in the year as i seem to remember them alloys ;)

i think it's best really if i give the car a good service, make sure everything is running ok. gonna sort out a RR day for Jan to make sure car is doing what it should ect.

gonna need some decent rubber soon but i want to get hold of a good set of original 15's to get polished up first and get the new rubber whacked on that :D

the car sits pretty low on 15's so look ok at the moment to me anyway.

cheers for all the advice people, i guess lauren would have the best knowledge of coil overs as well having ridden in a few with them so cheers to lauren
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

nutter wrote:and the missus complains the ride is too hard (not the first time :wink: ). I reckon standard shocks with Eibach springs is more than man enough for most cases.

Ive never had a bird and im 25 :(
branny crashed turbo

Post by branny crashed turbo »

leave the setup as it is.

its great for everyday driving.

ive seen mr2s with uprated suspension, it just makes the ride bumpy.
when have you ever cornered so hard youve felt that you needed to stiffen the ride?????

also... think of the money!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

vindezal wrote:
nutter wrote:and the missus complains the ride is too hard (not the first time :wink: ). I reckon standard shocks with Eibach springs is more than man enough for most cases.

Ive never had a bird and im 25 :(

think of the money and hassle you have saved ;) Spend it on the car instead
Alex_Dunn

Post by Alex_Dunn »

yea im still paying off the xmas present for the missus :x stay well cl ear!!!!!
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

I have Tein coil overs on mine, all round, and it is pretty hard!

They were on when i got the car, but fear it will be too much hasle to change them, and the ride heights good too.

Too scared to touch the settings!

Graeme

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”