help on engine start

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

agentturbo

help on engine start

Post by agentturbo »

Hi guys/gals..need help to identify a strange noise that has appeared..
just when you fix one prob another starts....been like this since i got the car...from new turbo to alternator etc etc .this prob could have been my fault. started to fill car with fully sythentic oil...by mistake ..not sure if noise was coming before..only comes on when starting car.for a few minutes
then goes aways..did do a oil change right away with semi sythentic 15/40 but the noise is still there ...im treading the worst as this car as already cost me 3 grand and i aint had it for a year yet.
could it be pistons....does still have a little oil leak at the bottom end ,noticed this when i was changing the oil....
raptor95GTS

Re: help on engine start

Post by raptor95GTS »

what's the problem with fully synth oil?

what kinda noise does the car make?
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I wouldnt run semi synthetic is your motor, i always run fully symthertic 5w 40 i have done in my rev 2's and in my rev 3 engine without a problem, noises on startup are common as the oil is cold and not around the engine, sometimes it takes time to get round the engine and fully lube everything up.

I have a fair ammount of noise from the head on my rev 3, but it is an engine after all and they do make noise! When i put the engine in i checked it over and again when i had it out for a clutch change and couldnt find any noticable problems. Just one of those things, tho if it is a problem it will show itself eventually by failing haha good excuse for more upgrades tho!

But obviously it depends on what kind of noise it is, I had a noise the otherday so i parked up and pulled the timing covers off to find the belt is catching which ill be fixing today, so if you dont really know what kind of engine noises mean what then have someone listen for you.

Graeme
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Using fully synth is a better option than using 'semi'-synth.

Though it doesn't really matter that much as long as you change the oil reasonably regularly.

You may get a tappety sound when you initially start up as the oil gets round but this should go away.

It doesn't sound like you have a problem that is worth worrying about. Putting in synth oil has certainly not caused it.
agentturbo

Post by agentturbo »

thanks peeps...i know its cold and that and the oil needs time to get round and that ...thats why i gone back to semi as some other guys on meets that i have been to reckon that the fully sythentic would be to thin..
still i think from what u are all saying it defo aint the oil....
could it be one of the lifters valves making that tapping kind of sound...

Return to “Mechanical”