Starting problems

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Carlos

Starting problems

Post by Carlos »

I have an electrical gremlin somewhere... Sometimes when I go to start the car nothing happens. The orange engine light and the battery light dont come on. After clicking the key back and fourth a couple of times everything lights up and the car then starts fine. Has anyone experienced this before? Is there a way to fix it?

Oh, and one more thing. Normally when I start the car form cold something clicks in the engine bay and drains all the power for a few seconds, causing the car to struggle not to stall. I'm guessing the starter motor might be staying on a bit too long, is this a sign that I'm gonna need a new starter soon, or is this likely to be another electrical gremlin?

I hate electrics!! ](*,)

Thanks in advance

Carl
nutter

Re: Starting problems

Post by nutter »

I know this is probably a daft suggestion but have you checked the connections are secure on the battery? I had a problem similar to this and it ended up being a lose postive connector.

HTH
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

Carlos wrote:I have an electrical gremlin somewhere... Sometimes when I go to start the car nothing happens. The orange engine light and the battery light dont come on. After clicking the key back and fourth a couple of times everything lights up and the car then starts fine. Has anyone experienced this before? Is there a way to fix it?

Oh, and one more thing. Normally when I start the car form cold something clicks in the engine bay and drains all the power for a few seconds, causing the car to struggle not to stall. I'm guessing the starter motor might be staying on a bit too long, is this a sign that I'm gonna need a new starter soon, or is this likely to be another electrical gremlin?

I hate electrics!! ](*,)

Thanks in advance

Have you possibly checked the immobilizer? Sometimes they play up... Don't think it's anything to do with your last problem...
Carl
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Good thinking, it was the immobilisor. I put some more keys on the key ring last week and i think they were blocking the little sender thingy. As i dont do anything with it, i completely forget its there!

Cheers!! =D>
axisofunity

Post by axisofunity »

Carlos wrote:Good thinking, it was the immobilisor. I put some more keys on the key ring last week and i think they were blocking the little sender thingy. As i dont do anything with it, i completely forget its there!

Cheers!! =D>

OMG, I solved a problem :)

Return to “Electrical”