thermostat fitting rev3 turbo within 100 miles of glasgow

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

for sure a few beers on offer for that one :lol:

Thermostat has gone and the car is darned cold in use. Had a look today but I aint got the right tools and its really cold outside.

Any takers?
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Hi,
You could go to Helensbrough Toyota, they charge less than any other dealer in Glasgow. I think they charge about 45 P/H, I have had a few things done there(major jobs) and they gave me good service and not a bad price for a dealer.

As for a small garage somewhere, I'm still looking for one to! so If you find one let me know, I need my Downpipe fitted!

p.s you could also go to Dastek, its in fife, not to far, but fantastic!!!

cheers, Michael
raptor95GTS

Re: thermostat fitting rev3 turbo within 100 miles of glasgow

Post by raptor95GTS »

hello michael how you doing?

best garage for working on our cars is http://www.the-garage.co.uk run by a guy called Marc with a self built tuned gt-s skyline. Knows his stuff and won't mess you about but moving premise's and likely closed over the xmas holidays as are most places. All my servicing gets done there

The other bet is Kenneth Brown in hillington industrial estate for set up work, 4 wheel alignment etc they are on 0141-882-6757

There is a garage round from St Georges cross that one of the mechanics used to drive a mk1 so maybe a better bet for glasgow work but having never used him can't say for defo.

I'll check around and try get the work done this week :(
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Come on man, your talking 30 minutes to change that stat, its 2 10mm nuts, just crack it open let the coolant come out, change the stat and top the car back up and give it a bleed!

Graeme
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

^Trickster^ wrote:Come on man, your talking 30 minutes to change that stat, its 2 10mm nuts, just crack it open let the coolant come out, change the stat and top the car back up and give it a bleed!

Graeme

I'll supply the bits and the stopwatch and you can show me :wink:

I'll need to wait until wednesday / thursday to get the stat anyway cause everywhere is shut. Ho hum
Jon Bradley

Post by Jon Bradley »

yeah i agree with graeme, I did it on my mk1 a few weeks ago its an easy job, but it will prob take more than 1/2 an hour. There is no way i would give toyota £45 labout + £25 parts (guess) to do this job. It cost me £10 for a stat from halfords and about 2 hours to do the job thoroughly using haynes.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Jon Bradley wrote:yeah i agree with graeme, I did it on my mk1 a few weeks ago its an easy job, but it will prob take more than 1/2 an hour. There is no way i would give toyota £45 labout + £25 parts (guess) to do this job. It cost me £10 for a stat from halfords and about 2 hours to do the job thoroughly using haynes.

yup done myself on the mk1 but

the mk1 has the thermostat sitting nicely on the gearbox with all the bolts facing out dead easy to get at

the mk2 however has the thermostat housing behind the engine block and in between the engine and bulkhead. Its held in place with with a couple of nuts tightened onto studs on the water pump housing and that makes it slightly more awkward.

Also halfords don't stock the mk2 thermostat so I'm kinda knackered on both counts and god only knows when the parts dept. of toyota re-opens
murf

Post by murf »

parts dept. of toyota re-opens

the one on kirkintilloch road re-opens on tuesday, do you want the phone number?

if you want i'll give you a hand, ive got loads of tools and thin wrists to get into small places! :D
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Make sure you get the right thermostat, the rev 3 is bigger than the rev 2, ive changed both and had the wrong ones before, i always ask for one for an ST205 GT4 now as they always give you the right one, they get confused with the MR2 turbo revisions.

Graeme
briforbes

thermo

Post by briforbes »

I changed my thermostat myself a while back and it was an absolute pain in the ar$e - all in it took about 4 hours on the drive when it was pouring with rain.

Turned out it was the sender that was at fault in the end!

The Garage is the best place to get your car fixed, I picked mine up on christmas eve from marc after getting lots of work done over the last couple of weeks. I can't praise them enough.

one of the bolts on the thermo housing is near impossible to get out. You need the hands of a 5 year old but the strength of a russian shotputter to get it off. Perseverance is the key![/b]
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

^Trickster^ wrote:Make sure you get the right thermostat, the rev 3 is bigger than the rev 2, ive changed both and had the wrong ones before, i always ask for one for an ST205 GT4 now as they always give you the right one, they get confused with the MR2 turbo revisions.

Graeme

cheers Graeme, st205 it will be.

briforbes - thanks for confirming my fears! The garage is king for sure all my servicing gets done there and Marc is very dilligent about his work as are kevin and billy

murf - cheers I'll get the number from the yellow pages and see what the scoop is - bet the buggers need to order the parts! Dave B has done his already and has offered to do mine so I'll head out there and let him get dirty :D
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

The thermostat can be a pain with crap tools i know this as when i owned a NA years ago i rounded one of the nuts off and it was a pain, but remember the revision 3 has a reloacted oil filter which makes it a hell of alot easier to do, id say one of the easiest jobs to do, you a 6 sided deep socket and itll fly off.

Once your have the pipework off the intercooler you can see the housing as plain as day, its even easier if you dont have air con, i threw mine in the bin ages ago too much weight haha

But if your not comfortable doing it, take it somewhere else.

Graeme
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

graeme, I have one of the cheapest sets of tools going, any cheaper and it would be made of chocolate :D

I broke a 10mm socket not so long ago and nearly when through my front door head first!

I'll have another look at it tonight and see how easy the nuts will come off but daveb has experience of doing this job on the rev3 and has a driveway / proper tools so I'm looking for that as the best bet.

The joys of living in a tenement :roll:
Corsa Killa

Post by Corsa Killa »

Evening Mr welsh, you tried Greers in Beith?
I would of said marc myself but as you say he's probably shut over the hols. his new place is looking nice, and hes sold "the Big One". i think he's looking at an NSX soon! should be interesting knowing Marc! :twisted:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Corsa Killa wrote:Evening Mr welsh, you tried Greers in Beith?
I would of said marc myself but as you say he's probably shut over the hols. his new place is looking nice, and hes sold "the Big One". i think he's looking at an NSX soon! should be interesting knowing Marc! :twisted:

hello andy hows tricks? Never heard of Greers do you have a number for them and have you used them yourself?

Marc has sold the skyline, bet if he gets an NSX he will twin turbo it!
Corsa Killa

Post by Corsa Killa »

Ive not used them myself but my mate has had his GTiR there lots and ive watched them work on it.
They really know their stuff, and beat the xxxx out of the likes of AVA for price and service!
They're working on a new website just now so i cant find the number! I'll phone my mate later and get the number for you.
how was xmas mate? Satan good to you? :twisted:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

^Trickster^ wrote:The thermostat can be a pain with crap tools i know this as when i owned a NA years ago i rounded one of the nuts off and it was a pain, but remember the revision 3 has a reloacted oil filter which makes it a hell of alot easier to do, id say one of the easiest jobs to do, you a 6 sided deep socket and itll fly off.

Once your have the pipework off the intercooler you can see the housing as plain as day, its even easier if you dont have air con, i threw mine in the bin ages ago too much weight haha

But if your not comfortable doing it, take it somewhere else.

Graeme

umm the lower nut wouldn't budge and god knows we applied more than enough pressure - instead it just got slightly rounded. Now a 10mm socket is too loose to get any real pressure and a 9mm is too small.

The top one moved but again it needed a huge amount of leverage - far more than should have been needed.

Options please gentlemen - getting annoyed about this now.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

You need a good 6 sided deep socket, get a blow torch and get some heat on there, just be carful of any rubber pipes, heat it up for a few minutes then crack it off, the secret is in a good socket!

If you round it off, get a flat screw driver and a hammer, and hammer the nut round, they are quite small and it might crack and come off, when i did my rev 1 NA it rounded off and thats how i removed it, dont hit the nut striaght on tho as you will exert force on the stud and might bend it, if you hit it on the side of the nut with the intention of turning the nut off itll come off easy, remember its only 2 nuts dont like it get to you.

Graeme
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

cheers for the help Graeme.

It was a really deep socket one of the pro sockets. DaveB had both hands on the ratchet and was giving it plenty so we know the socket was on properly - except the darned nut gripped more on the stud than the walls gripped the socket :(

Will get the blow torch on it and failing that the old screwdriver hammer trick. I assume any 10mm nut will do the job for replacement?
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Yeh any 10mm nut will do, i found one on my garage floor that time i did it lol

good luck, and be patient!

Graeme

Return to “Mechanical”