electric ariel from Maplin

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dallisonc

electric ariel from Maplin

Post by dallisonc »

I have a MK2 Rev3 Turbo, the ariel gave up the ghost and after taking it apart found most of the internals to be knackerd, I bought the electric arieal from Maplin, £20 i thought was too good a bargain to be true..... And sure enough it was, There are only 3 wires 1 black earth 1 red and 1 green, BUt nothing seems to work.

Has anyone fitted one of these with sucess or am i missing a fundemental point as to why it won't work. #-o :?

Any help would be apprecited
Goldy

Re: electric ariel from Maplin

Post by Goldy »

I've not dealt with that aerial before, but i've done some fiddling with aerials on other cars and the mr2....

As far as i gather i'm presuming your aerial has the following setup...

Red - Always 12v
Black - Always Ground
Green - Switched (will be either 12v or 0v) to tell the aerial to go up or down...

I cant remember how that coresponds to the mr2 wiring, but i think if you take out your old aerial, and relay box, there are 3 wires which should connect up to your maplin aerial....
brummypetepie

Post by brummypetepie »

[quote="dallisonc"]I have a MK2 Rev3 Turbo, the ariel gave up the ghost and after taking it apart found most of the internals to be knackerd, I bought the electric arieal from Maplin, £20 i thought was too good a bargain to be true..... And sure enough it was, There are only 3 wires 1 black earth 1 red and 1 green, BUt nothing seems to work.

Has anyone fitted one of these with sucess or am i missing a fundemental point as to why it won't work. #-o :?

Any help would be apprecited[/quot

Hi

Can you let me know if you got this thing working in the end??

My arieal has given up the ghost too, and if you can get this one going, Ill be off to Maplin!

Cheers

Pete
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

\:D/ my rev3 aerial died, after spewing out. I have G-limited, so after countless of Dud aerials from scrappys I finally found one off a rev5 for £30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like new, better than £220 from MR T

Anyway after that I had to have 2 wires behind the H/U joined so that it would go up and down, as these toyota aerials have up sensor and down sensor where as maplin just has 1!

so all works now, with aftermarket alpine. :mrgreen:

Return to “ICE and Security”