Why My battery meter dips sometimes?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Vindezal

Why My battery meter dips sometimes?

Post by Vindezal »

I have a strange problem, no, lol, sometimes ive gone for a drive say what ever 30 miles etc or more or even its been raining, I dont rag the car just keep it in smooooooth gear changes and drive sensible,

Sometimes,the trouble is the battery meter dips a bit above half untill i rev it again then it goes up. I know from cold its quite high anyway.This happens sometimes in rain too

Its usually when the engine is running cushty and warmed up. Could this be just old alternator? I elimanated the swishy noise from that alternator belt by spraying some silicon belt slip and its quieter now.. and all mr2s have a little noise from that section.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Sidewinder

Re: Why My battery meter dips sometimes?

Post by Sidewinder »

I know you've sprayed some anti-belt slip on the belt, but could it still be slipping due to not being at the correct tension or it's stretched or something?

Just guessing here... :)
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by branny crashed turbo »

my battery meter on my g-ltd used to move about a fair bit, you notice it on the turbos (which have a boost gauge insted) when you are at, say, the traffic lights at idle with headlights on, when you rev the headlights get brighter.

i always put it down to the small battery that jap cars come with, which would rely on the alternator to give out the power, which would rely on the revs from the engine... yeah??

this is just my theory, im sure somebody will correct me.

anybody here changed their battery to a uk sized one and perhaps got rid of the issue?

i know what vindezals problem is here, i used to worry that my alternator would pack up, but it never did........ :lol:
Last edited by branny crashed turbo on Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve b

Post by steve b »

quite simple now your belts slipping, but without the squeal. So alternators not providing full charge.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

steve b wrote:quite simple now your belts slipping, but without the squeal. So alternators not providing full charge.

Having a feel, belt feels proper tight, it has made swishing noise before when wet and has stopped since the belt slip spray, now just the tinkering noise.

New battery in anyway, needs a service again soon, you think Mr T would sort that too included in the hourly rate? it sounds a tremendus job!!

Oh and my lights dont get brighter at the lights, the revs may swing a little but thats it. Its not always, but it does dip to almost half sometimes.

Cheers anyway.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”