Mk1 Driveshafts - compatible with mk3?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

Mk1 Driveshafts - compatible with mk3?

Post by Rogue »

An obscure question I know, but does anyone know if mk1 and mk3 driveshafts are interchangeable at the hub end?

Rogue
BenF
Premium Member

Re: Mk1 Driveshafts - compatible with mk3?

Post by BenF »

Hmm, don't know - but I do know the turbo driveshafts fit a Mk1SC gearbox (just) ..?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Are you sure Ben?

Its just i've been there with my SC and used both NA and SC gearboxes.

The NA driveshaft has a much smaller spline ie it is smaller in diameter than the the driveshaft that goes with the SC box which is the same diameter as the turbo.

I would guess that they don't Patrick, though it is only a guess.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Err no then actually. I thought you were running Turbo driveshafts on one of your SCs ?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I am running a FWD Levin shaft on one side (the N/side) and an SC driveshaft on the o/side.

I tried quite a few different configurations of turbo shafts but they did not give the correct length.

I was supposed to be using the Levin driveshafts but the o/side one was 20mm too long.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

turbo shafts will bolt onto the mk1 SC output tulips but wont slide into the SC box as complete shafts....but a mk1 short side SC shaft is identical to a mk2 turbo shaft apart from the bit that enters the diff.

No idea if a mk3 shaft fits a mk1 hub.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Okay, I'll come clean...

Imagine you wanted to mate a mk2 turbo gearbox with mk3 hubs (for whatever reason :wink: ) - which driveshafts would you select.

I've so far established that the driveshafts from the mk1 SC and mk2 NA will fit the mk3 hubs.

Rogue
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Well now you put it that way it sort of becomes clearer. Well as clear as mud.

I can tell you that the splines in the hub will accept the NA or SC/turbo driveshafts, so the hub size would seem to be generic on a MK1.

This doesn't mean that everything else fits of course, but it wouldn't surprise me.

HT sort of H
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Lauren wrote:I can tell you that the splines in the hub will accept the NA or SC/turbo driveshafts

Not true im afraid lauren,the turbo driveshaft will not fit into the mk1 hub.Rogue i take it a 3s is going into a mk3? did you know theres acutally a few factory built mk3 3s-gtes? well i didnt know up to a few months ago,some guy in the mk3 owners club filled me in.

Anyway if it is indeed the case that a mk1 SC driveshaft slots into a mk3 hub then your conversion will be straightforward....what you need to do is one of the following.....

1)find two short side SC shafts and use them with the output tulip on the E153 tranny,they will bolt straight up,also use the mk2 turbo supported output shaft which again the short SC shaft will bolt straight onto or.....
2)use the complete mk2 turbo driveshaft set up but remove the turbo outer CV joints and slot the SC CV's on instead,they will fit straight on or....
3)use the complete mk2 turbo driveshaft set up but source a pair of Gt4 st165/185 front driveshaft outer CV's,these are identical to Mk1 SC CV's and will slot onto the mk2 shafts or....
4)depending on the track width of the mk3 you may need to have extra length in the shafts,the Gt4 st165/185 front shafts are 15mm longer each than turbo ones,if you need extra shaft length you can use the Gt4 shafts as they are,they will fit the hubs (if what you say is true about SC shafts fitting a mk1 hub) and bolt up to the E153.I dont think you will need the xtra shaft length as i presume a mk3 has a very similar track width to a mk1.

Any more details on the swap?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Paul Woods wrote:
Rogue i take it a 3s is going into a mk3? did you know theres acutally a few factory built mk3 3s-gtes? well i didnt know up to a few months ago,some guy in the mk3 owners club filled me in.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the mk3s that were raced in the JGTC300 series in Japan? I've managed to find just one image of such a car where the engine is (almost) visible. They appear to have mounted it 180 degrees around from it's position in the mk2 (ie exhaust/turbo side at the rear of the car) which would make fiting the lump a lot easier! Sadly not an option for us at this time.

Paul Woods wrote:Any more details on the swap?

Not at this time, I don't want to make too much of a song and dance about it until it's done! That said, if you have a look at the RogueCam this morning - the lump on the lift is the rear half of an MR-S with a 3SGTE already mounted inside, the car beneath it is our target car.

:wink:

Rogue
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Rogue wrote:I'm assuming that you're talking about the mk3s that were raced in the JGTC300 series in Japan?

Yep thats the fellas...but they mounted them 180? how the hell did they get round the engine turning in the wrong direction? :roll:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Paul Woods wrote:Yep thats the fellas...but they mounted them 180? how the hell did they get round the engine turning in the wrong direction? :roll:

I'm sure I've read that it's possible to get a 3SGTE to run backwards?! It's enough of a job trying to get it to fit without messing with that kind of stuff as well. :wink:

Rogue
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

gettin the buggers to run properly in the correct direction is job enough! :lol: should make quite a weapon when thats done...i see someone did the V6 into mk3 as well...cool!
GT300

Post by GT300 »

The best 03 drive shaft to use would be a post 03 as they are thicker and galvanised. They look green.

I think it is only 25mm but Toyota obviously felt it was needed. I do have a spare drivers side shaft if you wanted a play!

BTW here are some GT300 pics including the engine.

Sorry about the size but you just don't get the detail if i minimize them.

Adam
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Christ on a bike! :shock:

We did consider a space frame, but it's a little out of our budget! Some nice looking engineering though.

:D

Rogue

Return to “Modifications”