TRD Widebody - 509.6BHP!

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbob

TRD Widebody - 509.6BHP!

Post by Jimbob »

The TRD

I'm writing this as a work in progress and will continue to add further pics and info as I get it. (pictures to be added)

When it first started
I purchased my MR2 back in 2004 as a black '92 GT Turbo. The car was almost perfect coming in as a grade 4.5. Before I even bought the 2 I knew it was destined to be fitted with a TRD Widebody. I hade seen the kit in various guises, including many one off fitments. I stusied the internet for hours and knew the widebody was for me!

The car started out with..............

Fujitsubo Legalis R
Unknown springs (way too low and stiff)
16" Nismo ( :eye: ) wheels
Blitz TT
Sony Stereo

In original Skin

I picked up the car and loved it! The drive was amazing the turbo fantastic and the looks dreamy. I knew I had to have it. I bought the car with 30,000 miles, and to date the clock sits at just over 33,000.

First attempt at an exhaust
I started off by making a downpipe and new exhaust for the car. The exhaust was based on a departure design, but alas in the end was too loud for me. It is know owned by another owner on here. I still loved the way it burbled and looked but was just to loud for me.

1st Exhaust 1
1st Exhaust 2

After fiddling with the exhaust I decided it would be time to upgrade induction and the intercooler. First off my brother crafted me a fine looking HKS filter adapter.

HKS Filter

This was done using clay as a mould and then simply using fibreglass, it sounded great but I soon decided to go for a change and fitted an intercooler based around a border design that I also made myself. This incorporated an Apexi filter. The kit worked great, and again I believe is still in use by a member. I only decided to change the kit as I was going for much more power and wanted to fit a boot mount or a Chargecooler.

When it went wrong
I'd been saving for the TRD kit as I knew it would really damage the bank balance factoring in wheels, suspension, respray etc. One day on the way to work I had a small 'ding' with a Toyota Hi-Ace who didn't see me. With a cracked bumper I was upset. I patched her up and saved harder for the kit.

Fitting the Widebody
Fitting the wide body was frought with difficulties and complications. I would advise anyone who is seriously thinking about the project to get the money ready in advance plan out the kit over 1 year and then double the budget! I started in April one year and finished at the end of september with a lot of missed pub sessions and hard work in the hot summer sun.

Fitment issues were many and large. The major problems I experienced with my kit were as follows,

Rear Bumper two wide. The bumper had to be cut and then rejoined. When the bumper is rejoined on the car you can easily add a light layer of glass to hold everything in position. After the thin layer sets carefully remove the bumper and then beef it up from behind using plenty of mat and aluminium strips as necessary.

The drivers skirt was also too short so a similar process was used to make up the missing material.

Rear arches did not fit correctly. They were designed to fit up to the rear windows but simply did not! As such i ended up chopping them and smoothing them in mid wing. I did this by roughing the paint with 60grit then sticking the kit on with fibreglass resin and matt. Then finished off with plenty of filler and polyester reface.

The front bumper was a shocking match to the wings and required a lot of filling and shaping to get it to fit correctly. It is now bolted on pretty tight and held in position nicely.

I could go on for hours about the kit but it would probably be best to answer questions and post pictures as requested.

Arch fettling!
Making new inner skins
Trial Fit
Hmmmmm
Rev 3 lights Rev2 EGlo Centre panel
Body painted

There may be trouble ahead.....doop..dee...doop...doop...dooop
With the body kit fitted and looking great the suspension and a rear wheel bearing decided they had had enough! I priced up Toyota spares and others such as Bilstein. Being a rev2 I could not rebuild the struts so finally decided my money would be best spent on a set of Tein Super Street Dampers with top mounts. These are amazing and are definately my best value for money mod to date. The handling is transformed and the ride is firm and comfortable. They make this funny squishy noise whilst driving as well which always makes my mates smile. I have adjusted the ride for handling and to ensure the kit does not ground out, however as the car becomes ever more a weekend driver it might sneek a little closer to the tarmac :-$

Engine removal at home

Snap Crackle and POP!
Yep, my run of luck would continue and with some spirited roundabout driving my number one big end wiped. A stripdown reveiled a damaged rod and crank. On further examination it was found that the crank was cracked on the number one rod bearing land. I purchased a second hand crank which I planned to have lightened only to find exactly the same defect. To date I have been told this is very unusal and even phoned toyota to confirm if they had any type faults, nothing showed up.

To cut a long story short the engine is currently being rebuilt and the spec list is as follows..............................

Wiseco 86.5mm Pistons
Eagle Rods + ARP Bolts
Stock Blanced Toyota (new) Crank
DuraGlide Main Bearings
Cometic 1.0mm HG + ARP Bolts
Coltec Racing Head Port
Head Port for new valves - 3 Angle seats
Head Inlets

Ferrea 1mm Oversized valves
Rev3 inlet cam Rev2 exhaust
Fidanza Cam Gears
New oil and water pumps
HKS Cromoly Flywheel
RPS Street Max Clutch

Own Fuel system
Stock Lift pump and new filter
1litre swirl pot
255lph HP pump
BTCC High Flow Filter
Twin feed rail
FSE regulator
?? Injectors
2d Aquamist W/M

Own inlet and exhaust manifolds
Own 3" Exhaust System
Exhaust
Welding

Own 2.5" piping
Garrett GT3071r 0.63ar
AEM Brute Force Dryflow 4" filter
Turbosmart Ultragate
Turbo Setup 1
Turbo Setup 2
4" inlet

2x Greddy Type S BOV's on re-circ
Own Boot mount 600x300x75mm core
Twin 12" puller fans (switched by ECU)
Own N/A engine lid with 9" pullers (1st in UK?)
Original setup shown with Top Mount Intercooler

AEM EMS
AEM Thermocouple amplifier
AEM UEGO wideband O2 controller
AEM serial datastream gauge
Acer Laptop

The AEM parts will be integrated together to form a single management system. The Thermocouple Amplifier is used to take a millivolt output from a thermocouple and convert it to a 0-5V input to the ECU which has 17usable channels. These inputs can then be programmed to run outputs such as fans or water injection. The serial datastream gauge is also pretty amazing. It can take reading form 19 different inputs and display them on one gauge (one at a time, its not that amazing). The lights can be programmed as can warning levels for alarms and outputs can be driven from the gauge based upon user defined conditions.

I sourced all of the parts for the rebuild myself as its far cheaper than buying in the UK. The AEM gear is amazing and I've been fiddling already. The turbo and wastgeate setup is pretty unique as the wastegate is integral to the turbo exhaust housing. The next steps on the turbo setup are to install hosing for oil and water and finish manifold fabrication.

My ultimate goal is for 400ft/lb's

Any questions fire away and I will put up more photo's etc. :D
Last edited by Jimbob on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 21 times in total.
pez

Re: TRD Widebody - 509.6BHP!

Post by pez »

what a car. =D>
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

AWESOME, AWESOME work there Jimbob! \:D/
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Thanks Guys.

I'm trying to find some more pictures of the TRD fitting, I have them on CD somewhere. One of the biggest jobs was to cut then weld the arches and I wanted to put up some images of this.
EarL

Post by EarL »

Stunning car Jim. Truly stunning. =D>

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
ioa1980

Post by ioa1980 »

Looks awesome!!

Thats a lot of hard, dedicated work there. Well done!

=D> =D>
The Morris

Post by The Morris »

please fit a spoiler
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

OMG no ones given you credit for MAKING your own parts.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
rich lange

Post by rich lange »

pure class mate, what a lovely car/build, loving those wheels too :thumleft:
paul_h

Re: TRD Widebody

Post by paul_h »

AEM EMS
AEM Thermocouple amplifier
AEM UEGO wideband O2 controller
AEM serial datastream gauge
Acer Laptop

at last after being the only one running tha AEM EMS i now have someone elses brains to pick about the AEM :)

just out of interest who are you getting to map it or are you doing it yourself?

paul
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

please fit a spoiler

Wash your mouth out young man! :wink: I intentionally left it off as I don't like the fit of the TRD wing, except on a stock width car as it looks right. I thought about getting the Supra one as it's bigger and would be wide enough and taller but I like the spoilerless look. I think I was one of the first to do it a year or so ago and it seems to be catching on, its a good look with the right kit.

OMG no ones given you credit for MAKING your own parts.

Cutting out the middle man has allowed me to spend money where it matters like on the EMS......................

at last after being the only one running tha AEM EMS i now have someone elses brains to pick about the AEM

just out of interest who are you getting to map it or are you doing it yourself?

paul

Cool, I'm attempting the initial map myself. I need to do more reading up first to work out exactly whats what. Remember I was picking your brains on pinouts! I still can't figure that out. AEM can't help either. I spoke to them whilst I was in the US.

To enlighten, the pinouts are for US cars and none of the US pinouts match the Japanese spec ECU's. So you have to do lots of butchering. More importantly the two MR2 AEM models have different pinouts available so you also need to choose the correct version.

I think you need the 1993 US ECU for a Rev2? Not sure mate.

I'm planning to perform the initial mapping and then get it checked over once it is running ok. I'll then get the cams dialle in as neccessary. I got the wideband O2 to make mapping easier. I believe the AEM has fuel table correction built in with the UEGO controller so automatically adjusts fuelling if told to.

EMS is something I know very little about. Thats why I love messing with cars you learn so much. I'm planning to do some more research but will be sure to include all my findings and solutions on here.

James
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

First time I've ever seen this section :oops:

And what a car to begin with!! Truely stunning, and a complete credit to you Jim. Fantastic!!
shepz

Post by shepz »

some brilliant work on this car, hats off to you. alot of hours of skilled work have gone into this i bet! Has certainly paid off.

also im loving the spoilerless look 8)
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

That is one nice MR2!!

1st class workmanship there - you should give yourself a pat on the back :thumleft:
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Got some good news today, the engine is built :thumleft:

Will be picking it up at the weekend or Monday :D

Pics soon
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

10/10 for effort mate that is stunning...

Hope all goes well for u :)
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Build Update.

The engine is now 90% complete, everything is sorted internally. The only jobs left to do are set the cam timing and bolt on some ancilliiaries before taking it home to fit the rest of the parts.

Something for the Weekend Sir?

Eagle H beams and Wiseco 86.5mm Pistons assembled

Block Bored

Pistons and Rods in

RPS clutch fitted and rotating assembly balanced, Rebalanced with Fensport Lightweight Crank Pulley prior to fitment

Head Porting complete

Valves Fitted

Head Assembled and Ready to go on

Bottom End assembled

Modified Crank with 4 Flywheel Dowels

Modified ARP Main Bearing Stud, Shortened to clear Sump

Awaiting the head, new Water and Oil pump fitted

Modified HKS Flywheel

Cam Gears Fitted

Flywheel Fitted

Hmmmmm 8)
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

Nice to see a professional job. Best of luck with it.
jonst205

Post by jonst205 »

good work jim.but you havent mentioned all the help and advice from your technical guru,ME :thumleft:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

And the Rev3 inlet cam kindly dontaed from an ST205 :wink:

You may regret that now :D

Return to “Project Cars”