Trader rating?

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kelvin

Trader rating?

Post by Kelvin »

Just a thought, but a few boards i use have a traders rating system, hereby members can rate another member for a good trade, be that a 'here, have these parts' or an actual sale. this shows up next to your name in your profile and in your posts.

just a thought, not sure if it's been suggested before.

Kelvin
poyntesm

Re: Trader rating?

Post by poyntesm »

Hi Kelvin,

Thanks for the suggestions. It is something we want to do for sure. How we actually do it is another thing.

I had a look at exisiting phpBB based rating system and did not find anything that overly impressed I might have missed some though..so can you point to a board with a good system and I will have a look at how they do it.

We have developed a system called the Garage which we hope to launch soon, it allows users to store lots of info relating to vehicles and modifications done to them....currently my plan is to impliment a garage rating system into this. We you add a modification to a vehicle you will select the garage that did the work and rate it..we already let you enter the price. So we just need to add the garage how fitted it and rate the install.

Then it is really just displaying this in a good way.

To check out the garage have a look at http://www.13awingfield.com/imoc/forums ... cle&CID=80

Regards
Esmond
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

I like the system on www.mr2oc.com

Next to the persons name when they post it shows their trader rating. This represents the number of people who've left feedback. You can then click on the number to go in and see what different people have said. But it then also shows the total feedback received.

E.g.

Someone may have 100 feedback rating = 100 different people left feedback.

When you go in to see the details there maybe 115 to look at in there as some may've bought on more that one occasion.

It seems very functional to me and does everything you'd want. I've bought loads of stuff from the US and never had a problem when I've bought from people with a good feedback rating on that site :)
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

The main problem with rating systems is that they will turn out to be an admin headache with people complaining that so-and-so unfairly left bad feedback. If it works ok on another site then maybe it'll turn out ok, but you don't know how much of a ballache it is for the admins behind the seams.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

Hi Esmond,

try;

http://www.avforums.com

they have very very strict classifieds rules and everybody, well, 99% of people obey them. Any transgressions, month ban and post deleted. It may be worth having dedicated mods/administrators to specific forums.

Kelvin
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Steve,

That is one nice looking system they have....they use a different forum though :cry: . I will see if I can findout if it is a solution available for vBulletin or a custom piece of code.

If I can get my hands on the code I could port it to phpBB. Porting the garage from IPB to phpBB proved doable so I would guess this would too. Cheers for the info.

Regards
Esmond
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Kelvin wrote:Hi Esmond,

try;

http://www.avforums.com

they have very very strict classifieds rules and everybody, well, 99% of people obey them. Any transgressions, month ban and post deleted. It may be worth having dedicated mods/administrators to specific forums.

Kelvin

Kelvin,

Well that answers my post about...most be code for vbulletin and not custom to mr2oc.com..that is good news. I will find it on the web and get in contact with the owner and see if they will let me port to phpBB.
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Aidy wrote:The main problem with rating systems is that they will turn out to be an admin headache with people complaining that so-and-so unfairly left bad feedback. If it works ok on another site then maybe it'll turn out ok, but you don't know how much of a ballache it is for the admins behind the seams.

Thats up to the mods to say "shut up and stop wingeing" :) If someone has left bad feedback its because they werent happy about the service or product they got.

At the end of the day, whats the point in having a feedback rating system if everyone leaves +'ve feedback all the time lol.
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

Aidy wrote:The main problem with rating systems is that they will turn out to be an admin headache with people complaining that so-and-so unfairly left bad feedback. If it works ok on another site then maybe it'll turn out ok, but you don't know how much of a ballache it is for the admins behind the seams.

Thats a possible case to have dedicated topic admins, but thats probably a decision for elsewhere. It would cut down that particular admins loadwith probable better service to the users. I think it's a fact that the site has grown faster than expected and some tinkering in the way these sites are run is always needed once things settle down.

A rating system is just something that I have encountered elsewhere with positive results and could help in cases such as that mentioned in the general forum with a bad trader.

Kelvin

Return to “Club News and Announcements”