Removing the AFM

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbob

Removing the AFM

Post by Jimbob »

Does anyone know which additional sensors are required and if they can be wired into the Rev2 to allow the AFM to be removed?

I would like to remove mine for obvious reasons, but don't want to have to get and fuelling comp as yet

Cheers

James
Jimbob

Re: Removing the AFM

Post by Jimbob »

Anyone?
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

Jimbob wrote:Does anyone know which additional sensors are required and if they can be wired into the Rev2 to allow the AFM to be removed?

I would like to remove mine for obvious reasons, but don't want to have to get and fuelling comp as yet

Cheers

James

option 1

go stand alone, apexi pfc, motec, hydra etc.

option 2

junk gen2 ecu and rewire to run gen3 ecu, also need maf sensor map sensor 540cc inj intake temp sensor ignitor all from gen3

option 3

hks vpc only availble second hand as hks has discontinued them.

www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Chris what is the HKS VPC? Am i being stupid? Never heard of one?

By using a piggy back e-manage and the pressure sensor could I acheive the same results?

Thanks for ya help

:wink:
screech

Post by screech »

you're lucky you've a got a rev2, if you've got a rev 1 you seem to be f*cked as know one know's what the hell goes on with rev 1s, it's the completely unknown mr2
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

HKS VPC is a vein pressure convertor (or something like that). Basically its a plug in map sensor with a chip for your car which converts the map signal to suit your car and allows removal of the AFM. By the time you buy a second hand one from the states and fit it, you'd be half way to buying an EMS anyway - bit of a waste of time really.

As Chris said above;

EMS or gen 3 ECU or VPC/similar

I'd go EMS, you'll get better fuel economy, more power and have more potential in the long run. I bought my Apexi FC with datalogit and sensors for under 500 quid second hand.

EMS's start from around 500 + mapping and go up to motec levels.

Budget solutions are really Apexi FC, SDR and Link. Then you have ones like the Nemesis and AEM, then you have the more expensive options like Motec and Autronic
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Cheers Steve.

I've heard ems can be a pain though? with long mapping sessions, dodgy tickover and low revs running etc.

Considering i'm going for 350-380bhp would a link or e-manage be good enough?

I'd like to ditch the afm, 1. cos its big and ugly, and 2. its a big resriction.

Cheers
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Depends which ems you go for.

Some have a better base map to start with. My apexi base maps are great!

Lumpy idle is often due to cams etc. This is often why idle is sometimes a bit higher than usual.

LINK is an EMS. Emanage is a piggy back. This is the difference. An EMS doesnt rely on the stock ECU.

If you just want to remove the AFM try looking at the perfect power smt7 www.perfectpower.com or something like that. Do research and find out about it, its a new bit of kit that is far far more advanced and powerful than emanage or unichips etc
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

Dunno how it compares to the other options but:

http://www.performancemotorresearch.co.nz/about.html

I have mentioned the above a few times but am yet to here of anyone in the UK using one, I do know there is a UK supplier though, I had them listed at one point but Im having trouble finding it.

Car: 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo
Modifications: T04 compressor wheel, 3" custom downpipe, bored throttle body, MR2 Type III airbox lid (no Air Flow Meter).

Red line: Stock Air Flow Meter (stock 10 psi boost)
Blue line: MAP-ECU (stock 10 psi boost)

Note: Without the MAP-ECU there was virtually no gain in power over the completely stock configuration.

Just another possible option:)

Cheers
KiwiMR2
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Hi,

Are you using this configuration yourself? Its still around £500, This is almost as much as a power FC, but is it as good or more user friendly. It sounds nice and simple.
KiwiMR2

Post by KiwiMR2 »

Jimbob wrote:Hi,

Are you using this configuration yourself? Its still around £500, This is almost as much as a power FC, but is it as good or more user friendly. It sounds nice and simple.

Nope.....I have a Type III so no AFM :D

Apart from that example on there site I haven't come across anyone using it......even here it's a bit overpriced as your right, not far off a power FC :) That is NZ pricing though so UK prices may be better??

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Return to “Modifications”