My car broke down

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

W0mbat

My car broke down

Post by W0mbat »

Mk2 Rev 1 turbo, i stopped at a petrol station after a 300 mile run and it just wouldn't start.

it turns over but nothing happens, the RAC guy said it was not getting any fuel in.

some garage towed it yesterday and haven't found the problem yet :S anyone had similar problem?
MattLG

Re: My car broke down

Post by MattLG »

You don't have a dodgy immobiliser fitted do you? A previous owner fitted one to my Mk1 and it started immobilising the car as i was driving along and stalling it at traffic lights. It took 2 weeks to track that one down but simply disconnecting the immobiliser fixed everything.

It's a long shot I admit :-)

MattLG
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

W0mbat wrote:Mk2 Rev 1 turbo, i stopped at a petrol station after a 300 mile run and it just wouldn't start.

it turns over but nothing happens, the RAC guy said it was not getting any fuel in.

some garage towed it yesterday and haven't found the problem yet :S anyone had similar problem?

Did you get any warning lights on the dashboard?

Could be something relateively simple - eg Blown Fuel pump fuse, ECU Fuse, Main relay dead etc ?

My Mk1 had a dodgy contact on the main ECU relay - symptoms were that the car would completely cutout and refuse to start. Whilst it had played up one evening a friend was experimeneting wiggling sockets so and fro and found that moving the relay would bring the dash back to life and the engine would start.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

this is going to sound like a ridiculous question but you did put petrol in didnt you? not diesel? just thought id say the obvious as i used to work for green flag on patrol and 9/10 cars i went to broken down in petrol stations had the wrong fuel in.

After that try bridging out B+ and Fp in the diagnostic port to check the fuel pumps working,stick a noid light or non flashing LED across an injector terminal and crank to make sure you get an injector signal.
Raistlin

Post by Raistlin »

I had the same problem the starter turning but the engine not firing....

It turned out that the coil and ingniter had gone down, Toyota price £460, salvage price £70.... No problems since... Fingers crossec

Return to “Mechanical”