[Mk3 Generic] Vibration

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dylan

[Mk3 Generic] Vibration

Post by Dylan »

Hi, everybody. Just picked up my 2 year old MR2 (6 speed), love it. One quick question though. How much vibration should I be getting through the steering wheel?

I did have an earlier MR2 Mk3 (5 speed) and I don't remember the vibration being as bad. Any advise would be great. :?
jonb-

Re: [Mk3 Generic] Vibration

Post by jonb- »

Get the front wheels balanced off a stud plate (ie not off the center hole). If that doesn't fix it report back.
BenF
Premium Member

Re: [Mk3 Generic] Vibration

Post by BenF »

Dylan,

Definitely get the wheels balanced at a specalist rather than your local ATS / Kwick fit - they're sensitive to veyr slight wheel imbalance.

Explain the car is sensitive to wheel balance when you go in, and ask for a 'high speed' or 'fine' wheel balance.

Something I had done recently which made a huge difference was to get a four wheel alignment done. I got mine done at Elite @ Dagenham in London, and before I was getting vibrations at certain speeds which felt like imbalanced tyres.

They found the front end and one of the rears was toed out - rather than in :shock: and now it has been sorted it is completely smooth on the road - you can even feel the difference in the surface quality (tarmac -> Concrete) through the steering wheel.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”