celica gt4 gearbox

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

paul_4xxxx

celica gt4 gearbox

Post by paul_4xxxx »

i was reading banzai magazine from the other month with the alfa mr2 in it, and it said that it had a celica gt4 gearbox in it coz its stronger than an mr2 turbo gearbox...

whats involved with fitting the gearbox into the mr2?

whats involved with converting it to run 2wd instead of 4wd? is it just a matter of taking the transfere box off and fitting a longer driveshaft to fill the bigger gap? or will i need to change the diff and other bits???

i am asking coz i just bought a celica gt4, and i am in the process of swaping the engines over, and the only thing that i have a problem with really is the gearbox, and axles.....

cheers peeps!
paul_h

Re: celica gt4 gearbox

Post by paul_h »

the celica box isn't ant stronger, pretty much the same box

paul
paul_4xxxx

Post by paul_4xxxx »

but... will it fit in the mr2 without too much work? i dont wanna spend on an mr2 turbo gearbox if i dont have to......

also.... is it better to stay with the charge cooler setup? or go with the mr2 turbo intercooler setup???
paul_4xxxx

Post by paul_4xxxx »

anyone??? really would be usefull to find out... coz its getting done this week....
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

If you have an ST205 chargecooler stick with it!

If not get one or an aftermarket intercooler.

As for the gearbox, Mark Edwards has one I believe after destroying his Tubby gearbox. IIRC his has a higher top speed due to the ratio's too.
paul_4xxxx

Post by paul_4xxxx »

so the gearbox will fit in the mr2 without hassle???
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'm not entirely sure how to fit it but afaik yes it goes on.
greeny

Post by greeny »

I believe the selector fokrks are on the wrong side of the box so you'd have to figure a way to get the cables round the other side.

TBH would be a right PITA.

Cheers Michael.
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

matt_mr2t wrote:If you have an ST205 chargecooler stick with it!

If not get one or an aftermarket intercooler.

As for the gearbox, Mark Edwards has one I believe after destroying his Tubby gearbox. IIRC his has a higher top speed due to the ratio's too.

didn't he just fit the final drive out of a celica to give the slower acceleration / higher top speed combo?

paul
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Quoted from Mark

"And then we come to my history with gearboxes of course. The first one was changed due to a dodgy syncro as I’ve said, then I completely mashed 4th gear in the second box due to me being a little over enthusiastic at santa pod one day. That was then rebuilt with new cogs only for me to break the 3rd/4th selector fork. With that fixed and effectively on my 4th box I went to TOTB IV only to wreck the same selector fork again on only my 3rd run, not a good day out really. Which then brings us to it’s current box. After deciding the rev1 internals just weren’t up to the job it was time to scrap the box in favour of the stronger and better geared rev2+ box, but before it went in I had a few bit to do to it. First up was the TRD diff as having one of these in the rev1 box. I was very happy with the way it behaves. Also fitted was the higher ratio final drive thanks to massive input from Dino helping with part numbers and what needed to be done. Currently this gives me a theoretical top speed of 186mph, but I’ll be changing tyre sizes soon for other reasons, but these will then increase that speed to 191mph. "

Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

gt4 gbox....change the oil cooler, the selectors forks, and you'll need the mr2 blanking plate for the transfer box i believe.
So no, not simply bolt on.
paul_4xxxx

Post by paul_4xxxx »

so what u lot suggest i do??? keep the gt4 gearbox? or buy an mr2 turbo box???

the car is off the road now until all the bits are done...

shopping list so far is....

hks f-con ecu,
apexi boost controler,
apexi afc,
hks sqv blow off valve,
arc intercooler and hard pipe kit,
samco coolant hoses,
samco ancilary hoses,
samco turbo hoses...

when its all in, i will take it for a custom down pipe to join it to my custom system, then it will go off to get mapped,,, dunno wer to take it tho. think it might have to be either fensport or tdi north...

then it needs to go to the body shop tp get rid of a load of vandal damage, then it needs a new windscreen,,,

then i am having the wheels powder coated white and lowered on tein coilovers...

so what ya recon? i have a load of time on my hands,... is it worth the hassle to keep the gt4 gearbox???
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

keep the gt4 box and make it 4wd
paul_4xxxx

Post by paul_4xxxx »

i aint doing that much work! it isnt a 50-50 split is it??? it will willy the handling up!

Return to “Modifications”