How well does an MR2 perform on track?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MattLaw

How well does an MR2 perform on track?

Post by MattLaw »

Hiya,

I was just wondering if people have ever taking their MR2's on trackdays. I'm more interested in Rev3 + turbos and how they handle as standard and with any 'track' modifications.

I used to own a rev 3 tubby but had it pretty much all through Winter and sold it just before the roads were drying out and becoming less greasy. Unfortunately at the point where I sold it, I never really got to see how well it performed on good dry twisties.

The reason I'm asking is I may well buy another MR2 this year but I really want something I can hoon round a couple of tracks on.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers
Matt
JJ

Re: How well does an MR2 perform on track?

Post by JJ »

With the right tyres, they're pretty impressive !

A recent donny day in the wet proved to be so much fun !

I have lowered springs (£100) and stock shockers ( bilsteins ) - mines a rev 2 too !

It went alright around the corners ! Well balanced .. at most, there were a few complaining about understeer ! In that case back off, then stick your foot down on the corner, hang the butt of the car out and simply drift the corner ! :lol:

Worked for me ! :wink:

Oh ! Not for solid grounds on basis, but went round the track at Ten of the best 3 ( TOTB3 ) .. only hammered it round once and pulled out the fastest time in class ( RWD ) :shock:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
MattLaw

Post by MattLaw »

Great stuff. I had a feeling there might be quite a bit of understeer from them.

Does anyone know where I can download any 'in-car' MR2 trackday footage? Or if not just videos of SW20's track racing?

Cheers
Matt
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

Theres some in the track/Motorsport part of the forum - from the recent donny day - in a MK1 though, but still useful footage. Theres other footage kicking around on the net if you look hard enough, I had a vid of a MR2 doing a hill climb, but then ending up in the ditch about 4 mins later.

I would say that the MR2 would be a great track car, as you have everything where it needs to be (ie engine in the rear, rwd etc.) and that it'd handle remarkably well - wet or dry dependant on the tyres you're running.

As for track modifications - lose all the un-necessaries - ie Aircon, abs, carpets, most of the weight you can find - ie light seats etc. Then start with harder suspension - which you can fully adjust - some track day wheels with slicks on for dry weather. And then you should have a fairly quick, fun track car.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MK1 is a much better bet tbh. Just take a stock MK1 with some springs and dampers and you are away.

Its much, much cheaper than a tubby to run and just as much fun, if not more IMO.

The tubby is quite a heavy car so consumables costs need to be considered.

I have done a lot of trackdays (i work for bookatrack) plus i've raced etc so i have driven a lot of cars over the last four years on track. If you can't afford a caterham or an elise then for no money a MK1 is hard to beat.

I should point out that Dave mentioned Slicks. You can't use these without a rollcage for obvious reasons. If anything keeping grip levels down places a lot less wear on suspension and brakes etc.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

MattLaw wrote:Great stuff. I had a feeling there might be quite a bit of understeer from them.

Does anyone know where I can download any 'in-car' MR2 trackday footage? Or if not just videos of SW20's track racing?

Cheers
Matt

Matt, I've done loads of trackdays in my Mk2 - got lots of footage from Anglesey, Nurburgring, Donington, skidpan sessions etc etc

The Turbo is vey quick around the circuit - I've not had any problems with understeer with the car, but with my driving style I tend to provoke oversteer as I'm a bit of a goon at heart :D . In the wet though I've found you get very little feedback from the Mk2, so you've got to be on the ball.

I'll see if I can get some Windows Media encoded clips up online in the next couple of days and post back here..
Gazboy

Post by Gazboy »

Lauren wrote:The tubby is quite a heavy car so consumables costs need to be considered.

Can't agree, I've done two trackdays, and found it to be very good on consumables, infact, my brakes and tyres are in such good shape from the last one, they'll easily do another track day in Febuary.
steve b

Post by steve b »

got my 3rd trackday booked in feb, car will have the same discs, pads and tyres, just MOT'd last month and they are fine,.... but it did need a new engine, although in fairness it was probably dead before i started (cracked block 3sge) got a turbo in it now tho :D

On 2nd trackday before the engine died I was out with 3 westfields 2 in front 2 behind for 2 sessions, don't remember what was behind them, but the ones in front never got away, and the guy behind said he was shocked at the MR2's cornering ablility and that there was no way he was going to catch me :D I was chuffed :D

Cars got some suspension mods H&R coilovers, GAB strut braces and at that time only a rev2 3sge to power it. Both days it was warm and dry, I'm actually honestly worried about the day I've booked in feb as driving the car over the last few months I don't feel that confident to push it hard in the wet and cold that feb's bound to bring.

p.s.

Lauren - may need some wet tuition, will you be at combe on 12th feb?
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
jonno

Post by jonno »

Cant fault the MkII on track, brakes faded quickly on mine when it was stock but JJ seemed to manage on track pretty well with just some fast road pads and dot 5.1 fluid.

I would have thought after Donny that these MkI owners would stop whining about how bad the MkII is on track - maybe we will have to show them a few more times before it sinks in ;)

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Gazboy wrote:
Lauren wrote:The tubby is quite a heavy car so consumables costs need to be considered.

Can't agree, I've done two trackdays, and found it to be very good on consumables, infact, my brakes and tyres are in such good shape from the last one, they'll easily do another track day in Febuary.

I know what you are saying but a tyre for a MK1 is £30 for example. A whole set of reasonably decent pads can be had for £60. Its these kind of things that add up if you do a lot of trackdays.

In my SC i've found a set of tyres have lasted me pretty much all year and still have some tread left, plus i've done some road driving on these too.

Trackdays in the summer tend to be more wearing on the car as higher track temperatures equal more grip than you'll get at this time of year. A wet day will see a big reduction in how hard you use the brakes and will significantly reduce tyre wear to practically zero.

It stands to reason though that a lighter car will be less heavy on these consumables.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jonno wrote:Cant fault the MkII on track, brakes faded quickly on mine when it was stock but JJ seemed to manage on track pretty well with just some fast road pads and dot 5.1 fluid.

I would have thought after Donny that these MkI owners would stop whining about how bad the MkII is on track - maybe we will have to show them a few more times before it sinks in ;)

Neil.

I'm not saying a MK2 is not a competent car. It is. All i'm saying is that if you are considering doing a lot of trackdays that a MK1 NA makes the most sense costwise and is equally as much fun.
jonno

Post by jonno »

Lauren wrote:
jonno wrote:Cant fault the MkII on track, brakes faded quickly on mine when it was stock but JJ seemed to manage on track pretty well with just some fast road pads and dot 5.1 fluid.

Neil.

I'm not saying a MK2 is not a competent car. It is. All i'm saying is that if you are considering doing a lot of trackdays that a MK1 NA makes the most sense costwise and is equally as much fun.

True, but forced induction is soooo much more fun :)
jonno

Post by jonno »

Just need to do a couple more posts to catch up with Lauren.....

:)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Sorry but its unlikely i will be at Combe on the 12th as its too far for me to make it financially viable.

I did a day at Combe last Saturday for my BaT Xmas do and it was very, very greasy out there.

Camp Corner was a bit of a nightmare in the morning as it was very slippy and changeable throughout the corner. I actually ran wide on the exit and onto the grass which is really not what you want to do as i missed the armco by about 2 feet.

Why not get some tuition on the day? Even if it isn't wet track temperatures will ensure that grip is at best mediocre and Combe does have its nasty parts.

Honestly don't worry about it being wet because if you do trackdays a wet day will happen thats for sure! My first wet trackday was my first time at Spa and that was daunting to say the least! But you just get on with it. I actually much prefer a wet track over a dry one (but i seem to be in a minority for some reason) because its a great leveller and a wet track means the focus is on the driver rather than how much power you have.

You'll learn a lot from a wet day and this will translate to your road driving too. I always say that driving in the wet must be easier because you are going slower. Its really about getting a feel for the car and the controls and learning how to correct a slide smoothly and in control. Once you get used to it its a useful skill to have.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jonno wrote:Just need to do a couple more posts to catch up with Lauren.....

:)

GLOL! ;)
steve b

Post by steve b »

So Lauren, do you instruct for bookatrack?
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I'm not an official instructor. Generally i run the pitlane for Bookatrack.

I have instructed on occasion though for BookaTrack and with Formula Woman.
steve b

Post by steve b »

Ah I see, had instruction on my first trackday and it was invaluable, think i'll need some more for the winter conditions.

BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Gazboy wrote:

It all really depends how you drive the car. My first few trackdays in the Mk2 didn't cause much wear to tyres, but as I got more experienced and quicker a set of rear trackday tyres would last 3 or 4 trakdays at most before wearing down to the cord.

I'll post some pics and video clips later which should show why ...
steve b

Post by steve b »

i found my fronts took the biggest beating, looked like they were melting at the end of sessions, i guess that may be different now its got an extra 100bhp

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”