how do i know when my clutch is going?????

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

how do i know when my clutch is going?????

Post by jimGTS »

on the weekend, it felt like the clutch didnt want to rise to the top at one stage, it sort of stayed half way.

this has only ever happened once, and on one gear change, (i did pull away in 2nd at the time???)

any advice would be good!!

(ps, i didnt have the same problems for the next 500miles, and its still fine)!
JJ

Re: how do i know when my clutch is going?????

Post by JJ »

jimGTS wrote:on the weekend, it felt like the clutch didnt want to rise to the top at one stage, it sort of stayed half way.

this has only ever happened once, and on one gear change, (i did pull away in 2nd at the time???)

4th gear @ 3K rpm, then boot it... all that torque will break the plates frictional contact if its worn.

Then, this time of year, the plates will be getting rapidly cooled from the cold. When you've been driving for a bit, test it again.

You can do a hard pull in 3rd too, change quickly in 4th and see if you can hear it slipping with the engine note rising and dropping a little.

How many miles on the car ???

:)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

JJ wrote:
jimGTS wrote:on the weekend, it felt like the clutch didnt want to rise to the top at one stage, it sort of stayed half way.

4th gear @ 3K rpm, then boot it... all that torque will break the plates frictional contact if its worn.

Then, this time of year, the plates will be getting rapidly cooled from the cold. When you've been driving for a bit, test it again.

You can do a hard pull in 3rd too, change quickly in 4th and see if you can hear it slipping with the engine note rising and dropping a little.

How many miles on the car ???

after it happened, i done around 500miles in it with no problems at all!!
its done 66k miles?

any more ideas?
JJ

Post by JJ »

Check your fluid level ont he clutch, you'll find this int he front wheel well, next tot he brake reservoir... its under the black covers to the right of it.

Check the level as its a hydraulic unit. Occasionally, the seal can get a little dirt on the seals path causing it to drop and not pull up all the way.

I have an issue currently with mine where on long journeys, the slave cylinder ( gearbox part of the mechanism ) is heating up ( I didn't put my heat shield back on !! DOH ! ) as a result i loose all pressure.

I'd check levels first, top up accordingly.

If problem persist, have the fluid changed... the fluid can go gritty with moisture in the metal pipes, it rusts with the brake fluid in there and creates its own contamination ... hence why its recommended to replace brake fluids after so long.

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

JJ wrote:Check your fluid level ont he clutch, you'll find this int he front wheel well, next tot he brake reservoir... its under the black covers to the right of it.

Check the level as its a hydraulic unit. Occasionally, the seal can get a little dirt on the seals path causing it to drop and not pull up all the way.

I have an issue currently with mine where on long journeys, the slave cylinder ( gearbox part of the mechanism ) is heating up ( I didn't put my heat shield back on !! DOH ! ) as a result i loose all pressure.

I'd check levels first, top up accordingly.

If problem persist, have the fluid changed... the fluid can go gritty with moisture in the metal pipes, it rusts with the brake fluid in there and creates its own contamination ... hence why its recommended to replace brake fluids after so long.

so are we talking under the front bonnt here??? near the ECU?

cheers by the way!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

yep under the bonnet in front of the cabin bulkhead on the O/side.

Its the smaller one of the two.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Under the bonnet yes :!:

Looking at it head on, its to the top left ! You'll see the brake reservoir, the clutch master cylinder is to the right of it, under the plastic covers.

Nice day for it ! :)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

cheers!
will

Post by will »

I had a similar problem with my car, after a bit of driving (and it wouldnt happen every time) the clutch peddal would go very limp and would need pumping befor it would work again, abaout 2-3 pumps would do it. In the end I decided that the either the master cylender of the clutch slave cylender was on its way out. So I bought from Toyota for about £17 a clutch master ccylender seal kit. when I removed the old slave cylender the seals were quite worn, put the new parts in, bled the system and its been fine sice and this was about 3-4 months agao. I went for the seal kist as it was the cheapest option first. is quite easy to do but you will need a few extra pairs of hands to help you.

hope htis is of some use.

Will.

Return to “Mechanical”