My money pit

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Andy F

My money pit

Post by Andy F »

First i got myself a rev1 NA, got it chipped but always fancied a turbo, so i went over to MRD in Liverpool in Feb 02, he had a stockish rev5 turbo in purple, i really wanted it, but it was 16k the other car he had was a GOLD rev2 with all the body kit on, so i had a go in it...wow i had to have it i wasn't botherd about the kit it just felt great.
Later i found i was running stock boost (204flywheel), but had a MBC so i took the car to Well lane and they upped the boost to about 1 bar, think this made 260bhp. The bug had bitten, next i got a HKS intercooler, back on the dyno and 281bhp lovely :) thats when we found out the car had a Farina racing ecu fitted and a hybrid CT26, so we pushed it further and finally got 337bhp, not bad for a rev2 in 2002.

I then had a go at drag racing i managed 13.06, not brilliant but not bad at the time.
Next i started looking at bigger turbo's and all the stuff needed to go with them, so i went for it 15k loan and i started ordering.I wasn't to sure what i was getting, there wasn't many people doing it then, so wasted loads of money really.
Extreme boost GT30 kit, this was a good buy.
Tec3 ECU, this was a bad buy, no one to map it really.
Soon all my bits turned up, so i went to the guy that was going to build it....he was busy and behind schedule, i waited 6 months, he was still behind. I then met Dino who put me on to Ian Ashton, so i picked all my bits up and took them to Ians.
2 months later we fired the engine up, things were great so i drove the car home so i could get some miles on it before mapping started.
A couple of days later i took the car out of the garage and left it to warm up on the drive then i started to hear a nasty ticking noise, i switched the car off straight away. The oil pump pulley had worked loose and come off so the entire engine had been starved!!
We changed the bearings and cleaned the cams up, then Thor had a go at mapping and the car made 408 @hubs... not bad but the engine let go a few months later.
Engine # 2
I was able to use injectors and things like that again but the block, head, pistons crank, cams and even my TTE rods were ruined.
I started again, currant list bits
GT30 turbo
Piper 272 cams
Group A manifold, Tial wastgate
Group A Charge cooler
Chris K long rod with CP pistons
Rev1/2 block
Rev3 head
HKS fuel rail and FPR with 1000cc top feeds
Tilton carbon carbon clutch
Motec M4

At this speck the car made about 400 flywheel at Tuning Japanese, but the cams were not dialled in propley,at the moment the car is with Dave Rowe at Motec UK getting the cams set up spot on then a final map. I think 450 RWH should be quite easy, but not as easy as the US guys get it...........
Built by YVS Performance
Every car that leaves runs 2 bar+
matt_mr2t

Re: My money pit

Post by matt_mr2t »

Any reason why the engine let go ?
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

matt_mr2t wrote:Any reason why the engine let go ?

The engine was never the same after the oil pump pulley came loose, cams were scored, also i now think we replaced the big end bearings with the wrong ones.
Reving it to 8k at Elvington sealed its fate :mrgreen:
Built by YVS Performance
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

A few more picys....
This is the first engine build
Second engine, build with more reliable parts.
Alloy alternator and engine mount bracket :wink:
This is the TTE charge cooler

And this is how it doesn't line up when you use a GT30 and a Group A manifold
Built by YVS Performance
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

how did you get over the step in the intake pipes from the st205 cc and the gt30? the outlet pipe on the gt30 isn't that far off the ct20b and being used on a gen 3 head and manifold i can't see why they don't line up that well.

Any pics?

Tim
xxxx
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Hi Tim
The manifold is the Group A jobby, and the turbo mounts futher over to the front of the engine,,,also the CC is a Group A 185!
To get round it i had the CC inlet cut off and and piece the same diametre as the turbo outlet welded on at a weird angle.
Not the best picture to see it
Built by YVS Performance
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

hello buddy.

Hope your well.

Ah just wandered. So technically if your using a st205 CC and a turbo using a gen 3 turbo manifold you shouldn't get the same problem.

Tim
xxxx
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

xxxx wrote:hello buddy.

Hope your well.

Ah just wandered. So technically if your using a st205 CC and a turbo using a gen 3 turbo manifold you shouldn't get the same problem.

Tim
xxxx

I don't think so mate :? but the bigger turbos will be getting very close to the clutch bleeder thing!
Built by YVS Performance
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

yeah you have real problems mounting anything larger than a t3 size intake housing. but i'm using a gt2860rs which fits fine :)

This is also why i'm running tubular manifolds for the larger kits i'm doing, this will move the turbo's over slightly to the same place as the gen 1/2's and remove that problem.

Tim
xxxx
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

You seem to have it hand Tim :D
Built by YVS Performance
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

hey can't say i don't do my homework :)

You still got my stickers on the car :wink: or they fall of at some point

Tim
xxxx
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

1 is still on mate, take a look at the picture of the car from the rear (1st picy) i think, where the 16 valve turbo should be :mrgreen:
Built by YVS Performance
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

yeah i remember when you sent me the pics when you fitted them. I just wandered if they were still on :)

If you want any nice ones for the side windows let me know :wink:

Tim
xxxx
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

If your coming up to TOTB, just bring some up and stick em on the car.....oh and a free turbo of corse :clown:
Built by YVS Performance
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

if you don't mind keeping them on the car i'll send some over to you. Get them done a custom colour for you if you want.

I've always said if i can help you out with something to give me a shout :)

Tim
xxxx
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

xxxx wrote:if you don't mind keeping them on the car i'll send some over to you. Get them done a custom colour for you if you want.

I've always said if i can help you out with something to give me a shout :)

Tim
xxxx

Cool...go for it :D
Built by YVS Performance
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

ok buddy.

What colour do you want?

If you send me a colour sample i can get them done in that colour if you want.

Tim
xxxx
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Hi mate, i see you had an HKS i/c. How did you find this unit and did you alter the i/c pipes at all??

At what stage did you decide that that i/c wasnt up to it and went for the cc??

Thanks,

Nathan

p.s nice engine build mate \:D/
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

nathanfreke wrote:Hi mate, i see you had an HKS i/c. How did you find this unit and did you alter the i/c pipes at all??

At what stage did you decide that that i/c wasnt up to it and went for the cc??

Thanks,

Nathan

p.s nice engine build mate \:D/

Hi Nathan
The HKS did well on my standard engine, it was only when i did the 1st rebuild that i swapped it. The IC pipes were in a stupid place, as most seem to be (running over the top of the exhaust manifold) i heat wrapped it to help a little.
I would go CC at any stage of engine tune, consistency of power as opposed to fits and spurts!
BTW
I bought the HKS IC, i didn't find it :clown: :mrgreen:
Cheers fella
Built by YVS Performance
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Andy, where did you get the alloy alternator bracket, or was it custom made? This must save a ton of weight!

Return to “Project Cars”