Damn car!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rich

Damn car!!

Post by Rich »

Right, first back in August the big ends went after I spent montha and thousands of pounds putting the kit on and respraying it. Fixed that to find a cracked thermostat housing after the engine was in so used some cylinder block sealer to fix that and was fine for 6 weeks till I booted it down the M5, got in to Weston and saw steam pooring out the back end lol.

Its coming from round the thermostat housing and the little black pipe, not sure if its the pipe or the housing yet. Anyone know what needs to be doe to change the housing if its that? Dont think the cylinder block sealer worked as well as I hoped.

PS I hate my car lol.
JJ

Re: Damn car!!

Post by JJ »

Rich wrote:Right, first back in August the big ends went after I spent montha and thousands of pounds putting the kit on and respraying it. Fixed that to find a cracked thermostat housing after the engine was in so used some cylinder block sealer to fix that and was fine for 6 weeks till I booted it down the M5, got in to Weston and saw steam pooring out the back end lol.

Its coming from round the thermostat housing and the little black pipe, not sure if its the pipe or the housing yet. Anyone know what needs to be doe to change the housing if its that? Dont think the cylinder block sealer worked as well as I hoped.

PS I hate my car lol.

Rich, are you sure the water pump isnt bu88ered ??? When the bearings are worn ont he water pump, theres a channel for it to leak from, so looking at it, looks like its leaking... and this is at the lower half go the thermostat housing !!

Block sealer will never work, you have to consider whats breaking them and thats down to material tolerance / movement to heat, the alloy housing is simply expanding and contracting and breaking the bodge.

You can buy a whole new water pump and housing for £110.. problem being, its a timing belt off jobby ! Yours a normally aspirated or a turbo ??

If it is simply the thermostat housing ( towards the main hose - from front of car ) then i might be able to help you with a replacement.

I know exactly where your talking about, it could also be the piping network that plugs into the back of th water pump.. theres a black pipe that comes from the oil cooler that dissapears up to the base side of the water pump.

Instead of simply messing about, new water pump, pipe, associated gaskets in that areas and new screws and bolts too. Its simply too labour intensive around that area to buy parts sequencially as a process of elimination.

Theres no point sticking radiator bodge in the coolant system either as its coming off the pressure area of the block... it'll throw out coolant and draw in air too, you'll only cook the engine and warp the alloy head.

Park it up and rectify it... if you drive it, you'll risk the engine overheating and damaging the entire unit.

:( feel for you chap !
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Rich

Post by Rich »

got to block sealer and stopped reading.

Basically its a new engine, reconditioned 3 weeks before the mr2 it was in crashed. Housing was damaged during transit I assume. The sealer, according to wynns and a few mechanics I know, should do the job and sort it out.

Mine is a N/A model 3SGE and I have a spare housing from my old engine (the one with no big ends anymore lol)

Yeah thats the pipe im on about too, is it easy to replace? Thats around the area so im hoping its a pinhole in it or something.

The rest of the engine SHOULD be ok cus its only been in mine for 6 weeks and was only in the one before for 3 weeks. I did 1200 miles in it and the guy before only did about 300 lol (i feel for him more!)
JJ

Post by JJ »

Hey rich, may be as simple as you havent replace the hose clip over the nozzle off the back of the water pump !!

I did that once, too busy building the rest of the engine and totally overseen the clip in the middle of the pipe.... right bu88er to get at too.

Might just be able to squeeze in a small jubilee clip and tighten it up... those toyota ones are a pain to grip... wide head pliers needed and plenty of patients !

:wink:
Rich

Post by Rich »

Will be having a looky over it over xmas, finish work wednesday lunch time so will put some water in then and get her fired up and watch where it comes out of.

Need to clean the engine now, brown poo all over it where the expansion bottle lid went pop when i cut the engine off lol. Just sat there on the phone to the AA and hear a pop and brown xxxx fly out from behine the passenger seat. God I love hot dirty water :lol:
JJ

Post by JJ »

If you want to run the car on very short journeys, you can do this by loosening the rad / filler pressure cap.... you'll feel its two positions... basically it allows air to escape, instead of locking it in the coolant system, then exploding essentially !

Have fun :wink:

Return to “Mechanical”