My beast

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mark Edwards

My beast

Post by Mark Edwards »

Well it all started in May 2002 with a pretty much stock 1990 revision 1 tubby that I now realise I paid a little over the top for but hey, it wasn’t too bad.

All was quite slow going to start with as I was learning all about the car and what could be done to it, most of which knowledge came from joining IMOC and getting to know the people who knew the cars best, Dino and JJ at the top of the list of my guru’s. All that was done for the first year or so was a grainger valve and some cosmetic parts. Even then though I thought 1bar was incredible.

Then came the Blitz NUR spec, which at the time was a fairly rare exhaust followed later that year by my biggest gamble, which to this day has probably been my best single mod, the ST205 chargecooler setup. I can’t take all the credit for this idea as I first read about it in the banzai feature on other IMOC members. It was Dave Hirst I believe that had done it and I really liked the sound of doing it….. And so it began. I knew it wasn’t going to be a straight forward mod as it wasn’t ever fitted to the MR2 in the first place, but being fitted to the same engine in the Celica it couldn’t be that bad. Biggest problem was to find a pre-rad that would fit at the front without going to the expense of a custom item. A few weeks of hunting round local scrap yards with a tape measure turned up a fiat cinquecento that had been front ended, of which the main radiator turned out to be almost the perfect size. I then purchased a brand new item and went about bodging it to fit. Running the pipes wasn’t all that fun either as I decided to try and run 25mm pipe work to get more fluid in the system. As the aircon had never worked on the car the pipes for it were ripped out to make room for the new CC pipes instead. This mod instantly made the car feel quicker and still to this day keeps the car nice and cool, even at the current 1.6bar.

I then found myself needing a new clutch so bought myself the fantastic RPS street max clutch that is still holding on nicely now. Along with an amazing scrap yard find, my JUN 3.5kg flywheel and a different gearbox as the original one had a 2nd gear syncro issue.

This was then followed with the new turbo, a turbo technics stage 1 hybrid. I decided to go for this particular turbo as it would get me to the 300fwhp figure I wanted but without compromising the low down grunt that the ct26 can give. Then came the aussie downpipe. On the stock ecu and afm I managed 310bhp on the dyno with this little lot at 1.2bar now using the apexi avcr.

Next came the expense, the motec M4 ecu along with the larger rev3 injectors. There’s not much I can say about this bit of kit that I doesn’t say for itself really. Originally set up for 1.3bar and the afm removed but later for 1.4bar the car just flew in this guise and made 346fwhp, but as always, you always want more.

This is where things went a little wrong. Having it remapped again, this time on a dyno not on the road; I decided to push my luck a bit. Now I always knew it was a risk, but wondered if I could get away with it, but no. We tried pushing the boost up to 1.4 bar but the stock head gasket decided to say goodbye all over the dyno.

Good excuse to go even further though, so it was delivered on the back of a flat bed to Andi at AMTUNING (my hero O:) ) to be sorted.

In went the JE forged pistons, TRD 1.4mm head gasket and the ARP head studs. Now it was ready for some serious boost levels.

After a couple of disappointing mapping sessions with niggly bits going wrong it was wound up to 1.6bar . What an animal! On the dyno it now makes 364fwhp which I thought I would be happy with…….yeah right! You soon get used to it. More to come on that in time though.

It’s had various body mods done along the way which are all visible from the pics in my garage so no real need to mention those, except to the point of my other current aim, to lose weight from it.

Now it’s my only car and mainly a road car so I didn’t want to go to the extremes on completely stripping it out so the interior is pretty much stock to look at. I’m trying to get the body parts as light as possible at the moment, using a carbon bonnet and carbon t-bars and modifying an n/a engine lid. It’s had bits and pieces removed all over it and far too much to list really. Let’s just say if it’s not needed I’ve removed it. Still loads more to be done on this front though, just need a bit more money for more carbon.

Suspension is really the other main area that has been looked at. Using parts from my sponsor; Tim at xxxx (you’re a star mate :thumright:) it now has KYB adjustable inserts in the stock rev1 struts and some amazingly hefty anti-roll bars. Also fitted are a full poly bush set (which is a worthwhile upgrade to anyone whose car is getting on a bit now) and front and rear strut braces. This little lot has completely transformed the handling of the car from not too bad to absolutely amazing.

And then we come to my history with gearboxes of course. The first one was changed due to a dodgy syncro as I’ve said, then I completely mashed 4th gear in the second box due to me being a little over enthusiastic at santa pod one day. That was then rebuilt with new cogs only for me to break the 3rd/4th selector fork. With that fixed and effectively on my 4th box I went to TOTB IV only to wreck the same selector fork again on only my 3rd run, not a good day out really. Which then brings us to it’s current box. After deciding the rev1 internals just weren’t up to the job it was time to scrap the box in favour of the stronger and better geared rev2+ box, but before it went in I had a few bit to do to it. First up was the TRD diff as having one of these in the rev1 box. I was very happy with the way it behaves. Also fitted was the higher ratio final drive thanks to massive input from Dino helping with part numbers and what needed to be done. Currently this gives me a theoretical top speed of 186mph, but I’ll be changing tyre sizes soon for other reasons, but these will then increase that speed to 191mph.

Well that’s pretty much the last 4 years work to date in basics.

Next on the list was going to be a bigger turbo and 2bar boost, but due to financial issues I doubt that will now be happening. So the plans have changed for now to just up the fuel pressure to gain me enough fuel to run 1.7bar and bigger cams.

I’m hoping this along with a remap for a higher octane fuel will see me to the 400fwhp mark still using the ct26.

Fingers crossed.
[-o<
Last edited by Mark Edwards on Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
Mark Edwards

Re: My beast

Post by Mark Edwards »

Well i've finally done it. The ABS is gone. :mrgreen:

Fairly straight forward job to do in the end too.

It started off with buying the part i needed from another IMOC member (mrrwaction1, thanks mate) and getting some fresh dot 5.1 fluid.

It started off looking like this,

Really simple to remove, 3 electrical connectors, 2 12mm nuts and 3 brake pipes later and it was out.

Including the ecu for it behind the glovebox, 7kgs this little lot has saved me. :mrgreen:

I managed to manipulate all but one of the old pipes to fit into the new part, only having to make up one new pipe but using the old unions as they're a wierd thread, typical jap as usual. :roll:

And after a pig of a bleed, the finished article.

All well worth it as the pedal feels so much better now and i fanally have some confidence in being able to stop. 8)
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Only just found this thread (project cars)

Got to say mark that's a fantastic write up about your car, I've always wondered what you actually had done to it.... now i know.

Really enjoyed reading about it..... seems like you've had a fair few headaches with the gearbox though (all 4 of them lol ) i admire what you've done there, just wish i had the knowledge and the money to do the same.

Is fitting the st205 cc a right pain in the ass then? its something i've always considered but never had the balls to go ahead with it.... would you reccomended it as a good starting mod or something thats only required on highly tuned cars (like yours :tongue: )

Good call on removing the abs.... you didnt just do this for weight saving though did you :?: Never liked abs for some reason and really glad mine aint got it.

Also glad you use it as a daily driver, i think its a complete waste when people build fantastic cars but only keep them for the track... mind you i suppose it depends what your end goal is. :?

Keep it up mark 8) =D>

Lee
jonno

Post by jonno »

Why did you remove the ABS Mark? Personally I have found the MkII ABS pretty good - some cars have a terrible implementation but I find you can really lean on the MR2 ABS ;)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Thanks for the comments guys

Spittinflames wrote:Is fitting the st205 cc a right pain in the ass then?

It's not easy to fit the ST205 to the earlier engine as it was deigned to go onto the rev3 engine obviously. Loads of people have done it now though so it's not that bad i suppose.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

jonno wrote:Why did you remove the ABS Mark? Personally I have found the MkII ABS pretty good - some cars have a terrible implementation but I find you can really lean on the MR2 ABS ;)

The rev1/2 ABS is notoriously poo. It was changed for the rev3+ cars and so i've been told was vastly improved. I just never really felt confident with it as the o/s/f locked up as and when it felt like it and when you did need to stamp on the pedal, it just felt like you were never going to stop. :?

Feels so much more confidence inspiring now and has saved me 7kgs in the process. :mrgreen:
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

What does your car weigh now?
T
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

tonigmr2 wrote:What does your car weigh now?
T

The weighbridge i use only weighs to the nerest 10kgs and it was 1190 before so a good guess would be 1180 now.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
the-dog

Post by the-dog »

where did you get your anti roll bar set up
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

the-dog wrote:where did you get your anti roll bar set up

xxxx mate, amazing bars they really are.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
the-dog

Post by the-dog »

is there a website and how much was the set up mate,

thanks,
adam.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Check his signature in the 1st post
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Yep, link is in the pic, though i'm not sure the bars are actually listed yet. Give him a PM or email him.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
EarL

Post by EarL »

Mark Edwards wrote:
the-dog wrote:where did you get your anti roll bar set up

xxxx mate, amazing bars they really are.

They're going on mine too! :twisted:

...apparently 155% stiffer than stock Rev 1's :shock:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

You'll be amazed. \:D/
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
EarL

Post by EarL »

Mark Edwards wrote:You'll be amazed. \:D/

Andi said that along with the subframe nods and the coilovers, it would be a totally different car to drive.

...bloody hope so! It was a wobbly, shaky old thing before! :lol: Can't wait for some track action now. :twisted:

Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

The bars, shocks and bushes made a huge improvement on mine.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
EarL

Post by EarL »

Mark Edwards wrote:The bars, shocks and bushes made a huge improvement on mine.

What shocks/springs have you got on yours Mark?

Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

EarL wrote:
Mark Edwards wrote:The bars, shocks and bushes made a huge improvement on mine.

What shocks/springs have you got on yours Mark?

KYB adjustable inserts in the stock rev1 struts with PI springs.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
EarL

Post by EarL »

Well when mine come out mate, if you can make use of them, just let me know. The two rear Koni inserts are only a few months old. :wink:

Return to “Project Cars”