Fuel Breather Valve

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

abs4263

Fuel Breather Valve

Post by abs4263 »

Getting that fuel smell in the cabin, I've put up with it for a while now but Its time to get it sorted, I've rang Toyota and they've quoted me £45.55 inc VAT i read somewhere that it should cost around £30.

Any ideas where I can get it cheaper??
AW11 Forever..!

Re: Fuel Breather Valve

Post by AW11 Forever..! »

I get this with mine, what is it and how do you fix the problem - feel like passing out when driving.!!
System-G

Post by System-G »

Search function yields loads...

Try here for starters :wink:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ight=valve
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Ok, i'll go through this again. Buying a new vapour trap will not cure your problem & you will be throwing nearly 40 quid away. I have this info on good authority that Toyota realised they had this problem way, way back & their only cure was to take the pipe off of the passenger side of the vapour trap where it goes into the chassis & route a longer section of pipe facing towards the rear of the car, this can be attached using cable ties to the top of the handbrake cable, this is perfectly safe as any fumes exit to the rear of the car & not into the engine bay. the reason for your cabin smell which is nearly always when the window is open, is due as mentioned above that the system is partly presurised. Toyota in their wisdom put a valve ( vapour trap ) in the system with one end connected to the upper part of the tank & the other end via the trap venting it into the chassis section, unfortunately when the spring in the vapour trap is weak fumes are allowed past & enter the chassis, with the windows down, the fumes are drawn into the cabin through various holes in the chassis/ floor. On the flip side of this, when the spring is strong in the vapour trap & the fumes are held back they exit via the non presure tight pipes on top of the tank & fumes enter the cabin this way. believe me i had the most awful petrol smell in my cabin since i owned the car, i even dropped the tank ( nightmare job !! ) & replaced it prior to replacing every gasket on the top ( sender & petrol pump gaskets ) tightening every bolt, even bought a new vapour trap, put it all back together again, went for a drive............. and the smell was still there, put my old vapour trap on, vented the other end to the rear of the car & not a sniff of fumes since then .... absolute bliss !!, i hope youve not all dropped off to sleep, but this is the only way to explain it all, hope this helps everyone, cheers, Jinxy
HT

Post by HT »

abs4263 wrote:Getting that fuel smell in the cabin, I've put up with it for a while now but Its time to get it sorted, I've rang Toyota and they've quoted me £45.55 inc VAT i read somewhere that it should cost around £30.

Any ideas where I can get it cheaper??

Heres one from ebay... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-MK1-AW ... dZViewItem ... just wonder how effective it is used?? :-k HTH
Tony jinxy froude

Due to club rules i personally cant comment on your last post, maybe someone else here can answer your question., cheers, Jinxy
NuttyNik

Post by NuttyNik »

I was just told the same from friend in toyota he said take out the pressure valve and turn it around and also vent the pipe out the back of the car from the chassi.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Tony, strange you mention that about the hose not plugging back into the chassis rail... I was told this exact same thing by my mechanic (also ex MrT). When I did my original write up, I got flamed for telling people to leave the hose un-attached and venting to the engine bay... which does make sense as the engines are known to be quite volotile (sp?) to igniting.

The photo shown in my original post shows the hose left out the rail, but I added a note that it should be plugged back into the rail for this reason. All it would take is a small spark from electrics or someone to flick a lit cigarette out their window to cause a potentially really bad situation.

Also leaving the hose trailed to the rear of the engine bay venting quite a bit of fumes must be unpleasant for motorists traveling behind?

After I replaced my fuel breather valve the problem was partially solved. once I replaced my petrol cap with a 2nd hand item (with good seal) the problem was completely solved, until recently where I have found the 2nd hand seal now perishing too and *slight* fuely smell in cabin when windows/sunroof open...

If MrT's solution WAS to leave the hose out the rail, how come all the cars I have seen with full MrT history have these hoses still plumbed into the chassis rail?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Tony jinxy froude

Hi Garrick,
the pipe needs to be long enough to vent alongside the engine bay, NOT into it, the way to do this is to cable tie it along the top of the h/brake cable, the pipe needs to be approx 18" - 2ft long. Motorists, even pedestrians behind the car wouldnt even get a sniff of petrol as this pipe never gets actually wet & most of the fumes are held back by the vapour trap anyway, believe me ive tried this method and it works & its an instant cure. As for Toyota, well i cant answer that im afraid, all i know is that when i spoke to Hills of Woodford, their mechanic told me that there was a directive from Toyota to do exactly as ive done above maybe as with most company directives not everybody follows them !. Its a shame he hasnt got the paperwork anymore, would have made an interesting read :mrgreen: As for the chassis rail, no need to plug it up, there is nothing in it to ingite, i must stress though the pipe does need to be long enough to make sure it doesnt vent directly into the engine bay. hope this helps, Jinxy
abs4263

Post by abs4263 »

Thanks for the response guys.

I'm new to this forum just had my 2 restored having paid £100 for it!! from an un loving owner. Still got a few jobs to sort out so I'll be asking for help from time to time.

Cheers. :wink:
Porl\'\'

Post by Porl\'\' »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Ok, i'll go through this again. Buying a new vapour trap will not cure your problem & you will be throwing nearly 40 quid away. I have this info on good authority that Toyota realised they had this problem way, way back & their only cure was to take the pipe off of the passenger side of the vapour trap where it goes into the chassis & route a longer section of pipe facing towards the rear of the car, this can be attached using cable ties to the top of the handbrake cable, this is perfectly safe as any fumes exit to the rear of the car & not into the engine bay.

I bought the fuel vapour trap and it didnt fix the problem. Is adding the new pipe easy to do and where would you buy a pipe long enough to do this? :)

thanks

Paul''
Tony jinxy froude

Any good motor factor will supply enough pipe to do the job, make sure its fuel grade pipe though, if nesessary remove the little piece of pipe from the end of the vapour trap where it goes into the chassis ( passenger side of vapour trap) & take it with you to the shop, they should be able to match the diameter for you. Jinxy
If i get a chance today i will take a piccy of it on my own car.
HT

Post by HT »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Any good motor factor will supply enough pipe to do the job, make sure its fuel grade pipe though, if nesessary remove the little piece of pipe from the end of the vapour trap where it goes into the chassis ( passenger side of vapour trap) & take it with you to the shop, they should be able to match the diameter for you. Jinxy
If i get a chance today i will take a piccy of it on my own car.

That would be very handy, not even sure where this vapour trap is on the car - is it within the engine bay or underneath somewhere?? :?
Tony jinxy froude

Its just behind the battery low down on the front of the chassis rail, the picture below was taken leaning over the engine from the drivers side between the battery & fire wall, you can see the extended pipe from the vapour trap facing the rear of the car. About 5 inches from the vapour trap you can clearly see where the original pipe dissapears into the chassis. The other piccy shows the view from under the rear of the car on the passenger side, follow the pipe from the vapour trap & you can see where it comes out next to the camera shot :-

Hope this makes things clearer, Jinxy
HT

Post by HT »

Porl'' wrote:
Tony jinxy froude wrote:Ok, i'll go through this again. Buying a new vapour trap will not cure your problem & you will be throwing nearly 40 quid away. I have this info on good authority that Toyota realised they had this problem way, way back & their only cure was to take the pipe off of the passenger side of the vapour trap where it goes into the chassis & route a longer section of pipe facing towards the rear of the car, this can be attached using cable ties to the top of the handbrake cable, this is perfectly safe as any fumes exit to the rear of the car & not into the engine bay.

I bought the fuel vapour trap and it didnt fix the problem. Is adding the new pipe easy to do and where would you buy a pipe long enough to do this? :)

thanks

Paul''

Top tip! Thanks :D
BarneyMk1

Post by BarneyMk1 »

Hi. I am having this problem now. Petrol smell only with drivers window down or sunroof open. I will sort this out with the jobs mentioned in this thread but is the car safe to drive like this?!
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Absolutely. Mine's been like it for years now. In fact since I read this thread when it was first posted.

Bod.
BarneyMk1

Post by BarneyMk1 »

Nice one. Thanks for the reply. Getting it sorted anyway as it bothers me! £50 for the part though!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

£50 isn't that much though is it really for something you'll only change once.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”