Frozen Handbrake - Car stuck on drive

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rowland

Frozen Handbrake - Car stuck on drive

Post by Rowland »

Hi guys,

In a bit of a pickle this morning.
I can't get my car off my drive for the handbrake is frozen on well and truly!
It's my own fault I should have anticipated the cold snap and left it in gear instead.
I just wondered if anyone has any tips, advice or experience on how to get the brakes un-locked on the back?

Cheers in advance!

:lol:
BenF
Premium Member

Re: Frozen Handbrake - Car stuck on drive

Post by BenF »

Rowland_W wrote:Hi guys,

In a bit of a pickle this morning.
I can't get my car off my drive for the handbrake is frozen on well and truly!
It's my own fault I should have anticipated the cold snap and left it in gear instead.
I just wondered if anyone has any tips, advice or experience on how to get the brakes un-locked on the back?

Cheers in advance!

Rowland, the only thing to do is to get some heat onto the cables - a fan heater, or running the engine until the ice melts and they release.

Fensport do replacement rear cables (each side is about £30) but in the meanwhile, you'll have to park the car and leave it in gear rather than using teh handbrake :?
JJ

Post by JJ »

Fensport do replacement rear cables (each side is about £30) but in the meanwhile, you'll have to park the car and leave it in gear rather than using teh handbrake

Realistically, they only need greasing up, due to ingress of water... unfortunately the cable holding down position sort of points up ... hence the cable is allowed to accumulate moisture and water - then frozen like poor rowland.

Silly thing to do, but you can just get a hairdrier and aim at where the cables are going into the calipers... only take a few moments to free it off !

:wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
michael

Post by michael »

I was anticipating this one today, I wonder how many more we'll see :)

Brakes International also do new cables, an expensive fix for to sort out some split rubber on otherwise OK items but it all seems worth it when everyone else is frozen up and you aren't :twisted:
JJ

Post by JJ »

michael wrote:I was anticipating this one today, I wonder how many more we'll see :)

Brakes International also do new cables, an expensive fix for to sort out some split rubber on otherwise OK items but it all seems worth it when everyone else is frozen up and you aren't :twisted:

Im driving my second car which seems to be on its last legs too.. which is not good being a 2001 Y reg either !! :D

I'll probably get into the smokey, farting Mr2 T later on and find it stuck on the drive too !! :lol:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Cheers chaps.

After a combination of hot water and leaving the engine running a while the cable's eventually released allowing me on my way.
I feel a closer inspection and a call to Fensport / Brakes Int' is in order!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”