Weird brake "feel"

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pizza boy

Weird brake "feel"

Post by pizza boy »

As described in an earlier post I have replaced my calipers and DOT4 has replaced the previous DOT3. Before this change...the brakes had a great initial bite with lets say...20% travel into the pedal. Now..there is no real braking force until a good 70% of the way in.
Why would this happen?
stevel

Re: Weird brake "feel"

Post by stevel »

How did you bleed them? air could be a possibility. i am not to sure about the different dot's though.
michael

Post by michael »

Bleed them again, properly, and use decent DOT 5.1 this time.
motep

Post by motep »

Sounds like Air for sure! I don't know why, but the MR2 brakes seem to be a real b!tch to bleed. (maybe something to do with the twin piston, sliding caliper?).
I had a similar problem with mine and re-bled - problem solved. Didn't actually see any air come out though!! :?
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

Air in the system eh...it was a mechanic that carried the work out. Ill be seein him tomorrow...mention the problem an see what he says...its just so I dont get fobbed off with crap.

Definitely air. Changing brake fluid isn't hard to do at all, you just need two people and a 8mm spanner + hose to do it. I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect a little air leaks into the calipers past the bleed nipple threads when you lift your foot off the brake pedal - causing the soft pedal you're getting.
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

Thanx dudes it was air in the system.And he sorted it. :lol:

Return to “Mechanical”