Sticking rev counter.......

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

billy

Sticking rev counter.......

Post by billy »

Hi,
As the 2 is in the garage for the winter I tought I would get on with a few mods...so I stripped the interior dash right down, fitted some speedhut dials, cleaned up a bit and re-fitted the dash. All the time being very careful with the intrument cluster.

On re-fitting and testing, everything works as advertised apart from the rev counter which now has the following symptoms....

On engine start....the needle will jump to 1k, but obviously has no life in it.
If you rev the engine the needle will not move, but if you tap the perspex, it will jump to the correct rev reading.
After allowing the revs to settle back down, the needle will stay at the high rev reading unless you tap the perspex again and it will, after several taps, work it's way back down.

I have taken it back apart, the rev counter has....no dry solder joints, con-checks fine all over, no undue resistance in needle movement, all screws are making the contatcs beneath, and I was very careful when handling the rev counter out of the cluster......running out of ideas.....is it just a case of keep using it and it will work itself free?

Please help!!!!!!!

Return to “Electrical”