Crap forum software.

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dean Dale

Crap forum software.

Post by Dean Dale »

phpbb is a bit rappy for a site so big with so many members.

Ever considered vbulletin? (i'd help with the payment and installation and transfer of database members etc if required).

Also...

If you're not going to change to a better software, perhaps try getting hold of the SEO mod_rewrite script for this forum to get a HTML copy so SE spiders can crawl it easier.

You'd see a good % increase in new members and defo' the amount of guests as you'd be showing inrankings for more terms.

Just a thought.

D
Rikki

Re: Crap forum software.

Post by Rikki »

phpBB can run with loads of members, its all down to the server its situated on.

A quick look on phpbb.com for instance shows:

Who is Online
Our users have posted a total of 1975620 articles
We have 240633 registered users

The newest registered user is lance2785d
In total there are 461 users online :: 31 Registered, 2 Hidden and 428 Guests [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]
Most users ever online was 961 on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Thats not bad now is it :D
michael

Post by michael »

Dean Dale wrote:
Ever considered vbulletin?

I suspect the admin team are fed up with me going on about vBulletin all the time but it is pretty damn cool :)
Dean Dale

Post by Dean Dale »

vBulletin wipes the floor with phpbb, so basic, so unsecure, so 2004. If you ever want to look around the admin area of a fully modded busy vbulletin forum let me know. ;)
Draven

Post by Draven »

Amen. Praise to the heavens Vbullitin will take over the world.

Draven !! :twisted:
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

nahh, SMF is better than vBulletin and phpBB :mrgreen:

TBH, there is a fair amount of integration in the background which would all need to be ported across to a new piece of software. If it ain't broke and all that.
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
michael

Post by michael »

Speedy wrote:If it ain't broke and all that.

But it *is* broke :)
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Dean Dale wrote:If you're not going to change to a better software, perhaps try getting hold of the SEO mod_rewrite script for this forum to get a HTML copy so SE spiders can crawl it easier.

SEO isn't #1 on our list of priorities at the moment. We do get a lot of traffic from people who never sign up anyway - our forum doesn't require signup to view the boards (apart from the Premium members section - but that doesn't *really* contain anything technical). We rely on the good nature of the IMOC public to join as Premium Members and help support the website if they find it's of use to them.

But it *is* broke

:mrgreen:
Dean Dale

Post by Dean Dale »

But the features and the garage and all that phpbb has, is better on vbulletin. SMF is no patch on VB eitehr *frowns*
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Dean Dale wrote:But the features and the garage and all that phpbb has, is better on vbulletin. SMF is no patch on VB eitehr *frowns*

Ok, point taken, you'd like to see IMOC running on VB, because it's *better*. At the moment, phpBB does everything we want it to do, and Esmond has written a whole bunch of things in the background which do stuff (some of which are still in the pipeline), all of which would have to be re-written for the new software.

On a personal note, there is always a better piece of software for doing things, phpBB, vB, SMF etc etc. Doubtless there will be some forum software soon which doesn't need to use tables, then that will be the next great thing. For the meantime (or until phpBB gets totally broken/unwieldy/whatever), we'll stick with it.
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

Dean Dale wrote:vBulletin wipes the floor with phpbb, so basic, so unsecure, so 2004. If you ever want to look around the admin area of a fully modded busy vbulletin forum let me know. ;)

So free, so modifiable, so uptodate...

Yadayada, I moderate a few VB's myself too and at the end of the day a forum is a forum.

/end of discussion
michael

Post by michael »

Rikki wrote:
/end of discussion

Who made you God?
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

michael wrote:
Rikki wrote:
/end of discussion

Who made you God?

Satan.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Speedy wrote:
Dean Dale wrote:But the features and the garage and all that phpbb has, is better on vbulletin. SMF is no patch on VB eitehr *frowns*

Ok, point taken, you'd like to see IMOC running on VB, because it's *better*. At the moment, phpBB does everything we want it to do, and Esmond has written a whole bunch of things in the background which do stuff (some of which are still in the pipeline), all of which would have to be re-written for the new software.

On a personal note, there is always a better piece of software for doing things, phpBB, vB, SMF etc etc. Doubtless there will be some forum software soon which doesn't need to use tables, then that will be the next great thing. For the meantime (or until phpBB gets totally broken/unwieldy/whatever), we'll stick with it.

What Alex said is basically spot on.

There were a few good reasons why we went the phpBB route originally, and to be fair it works very well.

We've put a lot of development in on the site to customise it and bring new features forwards - and for the moment, it ain't broke so ...
michael

Post by michael »

BenF wrote:
There were a few good reasons why we went the phpBB route originally, and to be fair it works very well.

1. Free

2. Free

Was that mainly it? ;)

We've put a lot of development in on the site to customise it and bring new features forwards - and for the moment, it ain't broke so ...

If it ain't broke where are my thread notifications? ;)
Draven

Post by Draven »

free my favorite price.. \:D/

Would it not be a mission to transfer all this data to Vbullitin. Or would we start from scratch people would loose thier precious post count..

#-o I'm in two minds. I think phpbb is old and outdated now there are lots of better forum softwares out there. But also they have problems to so its a double edged sword....

Technology no place for wimps.... !!!

You can't ever win. .!
michael

Post by michael »

Psst... it's still broke... :-$
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

michael wrote:Psst... it's still broke... :-$

:lol: I'd burn it if I could. :whistle:
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

If there's an IMOC migration to vBulletin CMS Suite, you can separate it all out nicely into discrete parts that effectively run with a single sign on.

Firstly, the front page, you can recreate that in part of the Content Management System and "sell" the club, and link articles to events, rotate around upcoming events and link to Calendars. The CMS can also be expanded to include the knowlege base - via a "promote thread to article" feature, where it can then be trimmed, filed and used for any future reference. You can also then use the Blog for permission based use, i.e. the Committee can update informally via Blogs. Fully Affiliated traders can also update via Blogs too.

Forum wise, you can keep the same look and feel of the current setup with a bespoke CSS. The PM/Search/UserCP in vBulletin is significantly better within the vB4 setup.

Addons, you can lose the For-Sale Bot and include iTrader, which works on the very same premise. Same for Garage. Same for Premium Memberships.

The Committee are doing a great job of "internationalising" IMOC UK, but the base site seems to be a let down.

Happy to help in anyway I can.
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
michael

Post by michael »

I've tried already Mr G... deaf ears it seems.

Return to “Club News and Announcements”