Which turbo for my (special) needs....???

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mikejc

Which turbo for my (special) needs....???

Post by Mikejc »

Thought i'd ask everyones opinions on this one before making my final choice!

Currently my car is running 293bhp @ the hubs. I am for the most part happy with this but am un-happy with the prospect of the CT20b going bang, not to mention how un-efficient it must be now also!

So here's what i'm looking for from the replacement...

1) Low lag (or at least not too far away from the CT20b performance)

2) Something happy to run 1.2 bar (so no massive over kill turbos)

3) Efficiency (most of all)

Not too much to ask for... :lol:

Some more power would be great but not at the cost of losing drive-ability. I'm not aiming to create a drag strip monster here. I'm more interested in creating a car that is an all rounder, if that makes sense?

As some will know i've been looking at the Power Enterprise PE1919T. But do not know enough to be completely sure it will do the job? Here's some info on it... http://www.madpsi.net/MR2PEKit.htm

I've also had these suggested... TD06...GT28. But again would like as much advice and info as possible before making my final choice?

Thanks a bundle for any help you guys can offer :wink:

Mikejc
V8Killer

Re: Which turbo for my (special) needs....???

Post by V8Killer »

Internally wastegated GT28, which Fensport used on their car. I think Neil Johnson has this turbo.

Then there the GT25R / 0.63 AR, which'll probably get you to about 360BHP and then theres the GT25R / 0.86 AR, which'll get to about 400BHP.

These are not bolt on turbos, you'll need adaptor plates, custom lines, downpipe, wastegate, etc etc.

If you want a bolt on turbo you could try an Owens stage 4 turbo.

Cheers
M5
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Yup - I'd go with what jonno has for general drivability, gt28. GTS Chris had a GT25r and I dont think he liked it that much, the 0.8 AR was laggier than a T67 without the potential.

That power enterprise turbo is a sort of hybrid ct20b isnt it? Direct bolt on.

Could be worth hanging fire till the spring when you can see what some of the other cars dyno prints look like. Chris, myself are going T67, jonno will be getting a better CC setup for the GT28. Theres a few TD06's kicking about as well. It'l give you a few to compare
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I think I might just have to do that Chris. It's a shame because i've got some nice 800cc SARD injectors to plumb in and I thought i'd through a new turbo at it before the remap too! Save myself a little cash all that :cry:

Mikejc
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

I think GT4 forum is doing a group buy on
Gready TD06 20G turbo with Tial 38mm waste gate, including ALL fixings and fittings, gaskets, a decat down pipe, water lines, oil lines the f*cking lot! Nothing else to buy, just bolt it on and away you go!
This turbo is good for well over 450bhp and spools up almost as fast as a CT20, very efficient! It has 360 degree ball bearings, external waste gate (Tial 38mm) the works.
The cost? £1000 to your door all in job done

more info on group buy is here
http://www.gt4oc.net/viewtopic.php?t=21634
and
Turbo info is here
http://www.atsracing.net/ats_racing_td0 ... er_kit.htm

I am really want to go for it but i must resist
Bry

Post by Bry »

why do these great deals come up just before christmas,when I'm skint :cry:
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Mikejc wrote:As some will know i've been looking at the Power Enterprise PE1919T. But do not know enough to be completely sure it will do the job? Here's some info on it... http://www.madpsi.net/MR2PEKit.htm

I've just read that article in more detail, and I now understand a bit more about that turbo. Essentially, it's a new turbo with NO common parts between itself and a CT20b!

Basically, what they've done is make a new turbine housing to match the IHI internals they'd chosen, with the twin entry scrolls and the same flange pattern as the stock CT20b, but note it has a single wastegate outlet port. ;)

They've also got a new compressor cover to match the IHI internals, and to fit straight onto the stock induction bits.

It's unclear about the power figures, and the it seems to me that they're claiming 337bvp at the hubs on a dynapack. That's about 360fwhp at most. Now, I'd assume that if this was in the states, that this was done on a US Gen2? In which case the smaller injectors. Can you REALLY get this much fueling out of a stock Gen2 MR2?? :-s If this was done on a Rev3, I'd say it's possible though.

The other point I noted was that it didn't make peak boost until 5500RPM, which is what a CT20b would do with a free-flowing exhaust system, but it just wouldn't drop off boost as quickly as the PE (according to their dyno graphs).

I'm still not convinced on it, myself, but I guess it's an option instead of having a hybrid CT26. I'd personally choose the CT26 hybrid instead. ;)
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

SFLee wrote:I think GT4 forum is doing a group buy on
Gready TD06 20G turbo with Tial 38mm waste gate, including ALL fixings and fittings, gaskets, a decat down pipe, water lines, oil lines the f*cking lot! Nothing else to buy, just bolt it on and away you go!
This turbo is good for well over 450bhp and spools up almost as fast as a CT20, very efficient! It has 360 degree ball bearings, external waste gate (Tial 38mm) the works.

and
Turbo info is here

The TD06 is not ball bearing. And even though people have made alot of power with it, i think you'd be pushing the turbo to its limits to reach 450BHP.
M5
nutter

Post by nutter »

thats a good price for the td06. I paid around £1300 all in for the same kit :( . Quality is good, apart from the downpipe which i have attacked with a dremel to smooth the internal welds on.

Mike ... what did i tell you dude :lol:
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I'm not aiming for any more than 350bhp @ the hubs realistically. At least not whilst i'm still running standed internals. So I really need a turbo that can make the best amount of power possible whilst pushing 1.2bar max!?

I'm unsure at to the cost of a top (or at least what I need) hybrid turbo and unsure as to who would be best to buy one from for that matter??? I can get the Power Enterprise turbo for £1000 all in for example.

But at the end of the day i'm not looking to cut corners due to cost. I simply want the absolute best turbo possible given my needs?

Mikejc
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

At the end of the day mike, 350hp at the hubs at low boost levels requires a pretty meaty turbo! The PE turbo is rated to about 360hp levels isnt it? Not really what you are after.

What you could consider would be perhaps a set of cams on your current setup. That should see you to low 300s at the hubs. Whilst maintaining drivability

MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Mikejc wrote:I'm not aiming for any more than 350bhp @ the hubs realistically. At least not whilst i'm still running standed internals. So I really need a turbo that can make the best amount of power possible whilst pushing 1.2bar max!?

I'm unsure at to the cost of a top (or at least what I need) hybrid turbo and unsure as to who would be best to buy one from for that matter??? I can get the Power Enterprise turbo for £1000 all in for example.

But at the end of the day i'm not looking to cut corners due to cost. I simply want the absolute best turbo possible given my needs?

Mikejc

The more I think about this, the more I'd say it points to using a TD06, if you don't want to run more boost. I think that if you went for the PE turbo, there wouldn't be much of a difference between it and your stock CT20b.

The one thing that would make me decide is whether the PE has a ball bearing assembly, or when they say "metal bearing", do they mean your traditional type turbo bearing? If it's the latter, then I'd go for the TD06, given your goals.
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

SFLee wrote:I think GT4 forum is doing a group buy on

and
Turbo info is here

Unless its a specially built TD06 20G then its not a ball bearing turbo and certainly doesnt spool anywhere near as quick as the ct20.

Either way its a good turbo a might hit around the 400bhp mark on a well built engine 450 again sounds a little ambitious.

Price is excellent and definately worth the money I would recomend one unless your after building a drag car then its probably a little on the underpowered side

paul

TD06 powered Mr2 :)
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

The GT28RS has been suggested and it would seem to be the best choice so far from what I can gather!?

I'm as in the dark with this turbo as with any other truth be told. But I heard many good things about it today from a whole host of tuners, and it would seem from what i'm told, it offers all and more than I need! Good power over stock @ 1.2bar, very quick spooling times due to being roller bearing etc...

Any thoughts guy's?

Many thanks with all your help fellas

Mikejc :wink:
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

this is a very techie post but one i'm wtaching and reading in interest. i love me little CT turbo but one day i'd like something where the boost would cut in at 2.5k RPM for a good kick in the back :D

hope you find the right turbo mike, don't the evo's use TD06 turbo's? they make pretty big power from them! but the 405bhp evo uses something else i think so the TD06 looks like it isn't the one your after to me anyway.

damn what a dull post for me! no help and no sarcy coments to ad either :D
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

:wink:
AdamR

Post by AdamR »

stevecordiner wrote:Yup - I'd go with what jonno has for general drivability, gt28. GTS Chris had a GT25r and I dont think he liked it that much, the 0.8 AR was laggier than a T67 without the potential.

lol, I bought that turbo - dont worry about my feelings!!!! :roll: :P

Makes full boost by around 4k rpm, so its not hugely laggy. I'm gonna be using it primarily for drag, so its always gonna be in its power band - I can see how in a track car you might want something making full boost earlier.

Powerwise apparently there are sr20's in the states making just under 400bhp at the wheels with the .86A/R version, and as I'm looking for around that at the fly, it SHOULD be ok. Possibly. Maybe. Ish.
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Lol .... sorry Adam :oops:

Dont get me wrong, its still a damn big turbo and will put out the ponies, just havent seen much success with one yet on an MR2. They certainly produce the goods on other 2 liter turbos though :)

MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

AdamR wrote:Makes full boost by around 4k rpm, so its not hugely laggy. I'm gonna be using it primarily for drag, so its always gonna be in its power band - I can see how in a track car you might want something making full boost earlier.

Actually, a track car needs an engine that revs well. So as long as the power band is 3000RPM wide (eg yours is properly on boost from 4k to 7k), and that it's reasonably OK low down (to get you out of hairpins, etc), then it doesn't really matter how laggy it is. That's what the gearbox is for! ;)

AdamR wrote:Powerwise apparently there are sr20's in the states making just under 400bhp at the wheels with the .86A/R version, and as I'm looking for around that at the fly, it SHOULD be ok. Possibly. Maybe. Ish.

This is where US figures tend to be a bit optimistic, but I've seen that turbo push 400FWHP when pushed close to its limits.

The GT25 is not the best of the GT range - the GT2871 is probably the best bet for this level of power (has the same kinda outright flow, but is slightly more efficient than the compressor wheel used in the GT25).
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Have heard good things about the Power Enterprise PE1919 from Bry and John Rees....

Return to “Modifications”