i'm new and know nothing

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

longjohn

i'm new and know nothing

Post by longjohn »

I bought a rev 1 turbo about 2 weeks ago and am about to get it back from the garage that has serviced it for me and sorted a couple of problems. thing is i know little about mr2's really. am moving to the mr2 from a rover tomcat turbo ya see. Is the rev 1 220bhp? what are the performance figures and how does it compare to the 240bhp ones? will some nice easy mods like de-cat, induction, exhaust sort it out some bigger bhp...? can the turbo run higher boost?
Sorry to ask questions like that cos i bet loads of new guys do but i'm itching to get her on the road and to know more. i would be really grateful of any answers.

Thank you
Sidewinder

Re: i'm new and know nothing

Post by Sidewinder »

Welcome to IMOC, mate! Don't worry about not knowing much about your MR2 at the moment, as you'll soon pick up loads of information from this site and get an idea about which direction you want to take your car (i.e. improved looks, handling, acceleration, ICE...or all of them!).

I can't give you a definate answer on the Rev 1 tubby Vs Rev 3+ tubbies as I've owned both - and both have been modified, so it's hard to tell what the standard cars compare like.

Oh...and yes, the turbo can run more boost! How much depends on many factors, and I'll bet someone will be along in a bit to explain more...
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by craig »

I bought a rev 1 turbo about 2 weeks ago and am about to get it back from the garage that has serviced it for me and sorted a couple of problems. thing is i know little about mr2's really. am moving to the mr2 from a rover tomcat turbo ya see. Is the rev 1 220bhp? what are the performance figures and how does it compare to the 240bhp ones? will some nice easy mods like de-cat, induction, exhaust sort it out some bigger bhp...? can the turbo run higher boost?
Sorry to ask questions like that cos i bet loads of new guys do but i'm itching to get her on the road and to know more. i would be really grateful of any answers.

1- REV 1/2 = 220BHP approx 5.7 secs 0-60
2- REV 3+ = 240BHP approx 5.2 secs 0-60

Mods like de-cat, induction, exhaust will definately release some more power. Mine is a rev 1 also, I have these mods and also raised boost to 15 psi. The end result - 262 bhp @ the flywheel!!!! 8)

As a recomendation on a rev 1 do not raise boost higher than 15 psi. A fuel cut defender is also needed to bypass the standard fuel cut of about 11 psi

Hope this helps bud :wink:

Craig
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

If your rev1 is running clean 16psi is the absolute limit with a well mapped boost raise + decat+ induction kit generally get a responsive 270+odd bhp and 260ish lb/ft. But it dependant on your rev1's condition remember.. a rev1 is old...so its best to check its condition before any mods...turbo, actuator, belts, gbox or things will go kaboom!
How are you planning on raising the boost? Cheap n dodgy Gvalve? AFC? Unichip? ooo choices!
stevel

Post by stevel »

Welcome longjohn

A lot of people know nothing when they first get there 2’s. I certainly didn’t & I still have much to learn about the cars & that’s before even before I start modding. So don’t worry about that.
The best advice I could give you is enjoy the car for a few months at least before any mods. It is so tempting to rush out & spend dosh on mods not really knowing what’s out there.
Raf

Post by Raf »

stevel wrote: It is so tempting to rush out & spend dosh on mods not really knowing what’s out there.

well said Steve.... definatley worth checking her out first before going crazy. If its your first 2 then some careful winter driving is recommended. i havent driven a turbo but its easy enough in the NA's to step out (in the wet).
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Welcome mate ... the MR2 is a nice step from T series oil leak misery :D

Basic difference between a rev 1 and the rev 3 is the turbo. The rev 3 one is a bigger unit basically and flows more air. Its engine management also allows it to run a bit more boost.

Performance wise - to be honest, in lightly modded form the rev 1/2/3's all perform very similarly. All have similar torque, which at the end of the day is what propels you forwards. All are quick when running properly with light mods
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”