cat and fiddle run. april 9th

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hicks

cat and fiddle run. april 9th

Post by hicks »

want to do a run through some roads around derbyshire including the cat and fiddle. did a mini run last year with tom and a couple others but want to do the full run this time with more people.

meeting point is at the big tescos next to Silk road which is the main road through maccelsfield at 11:00 am with a prompt 11:30 depart.

ive timed it for the midlands imoc rolling road day weekend so i can get my car rolling road tested and go for a nice drive day after.

a few of us have bought walkie talkies for the day so we can have a bit of banter and hopefully warn other drivers of problems ahead.

the route has now been finalised and below are some directions which i will be prints several copys off for the day and hand out, all i ask is that you bring a map.

DIRECTIONS

Leg 1

Come out of Tesco and turn right at the lights. At the roundabout, take a left onto a short dual carraigeway until you get to a crossroads with a set of lights (you need to be in the left hand lane). Take a left at the lights which is sign posted Buxton (A537). This is now the Cat and Fiddle.

Stay on this road all the way until you reach a junction - turn right then up the hill followed by a left. This road misses out Buxton and is still pretty good with a very spectacular dip in the road. You will come to a junction - turn right (towards Harpur Hill) and stay on this road till you reach the end. Turn left followed by another junction which you need to turn right (onto A515) followed by immediate left which has a filter lane and puts you on the A5270. Stay on this road until the end - turn right towards Bakewell (A6) - this is a 50 limit and has police cameras on a regular basis but soon opens up to national speed limit down a steep dual carraigeway and some nice twisties.

Before you go into bakewell, turn left towards Chesterfield (A6020). This road cuts out Bakewell and the boring 40-30 limits and links the route up with more nice roads - this leads to a roundabout. At the roundabout go straight on, onto a fast long straight with yet another junction at the end. Turn left followed by an immediate right sign posted Chatsworth House - go through Chatsworth untill you reach a junction. Turn right (A6) and head back towards Bakewell and look for a left (towards Ashbourne) which is just after the piece of road with the central reservation this links us to Wirksworth.

Take your first left (B5056)over a stone bridge and head down an excellent section of road until you get to the end - turn left towards Matlock (A5012). You now need to be looking out for a right turn then a quick left (B5023) - this road goes up hill - it runs parrallel to the road you are on. You need to be on that road. Go through Middleton - turn right (B5035) signposted Carsington Water. Just after the Knockerdown Pub turn left (again signposted Barsington Water). Carsington Water features some very fast sweeping corners ending in a fast straight with a junction at the end (surprise surprise) - turn left towrads Belper (A517) and head down that road until you get to a set of lights at a cross road - go over the lightsand The Railway Pub is on the left - WELL DONE - PARK THE CAR AND GRAB A WELL DESERVED PINT (of coke, of course!!)

Quick Notes

leave Tesco - turn right at lights.
at roundabout, take first exit.
keep left, left at lights - A537 C&F.
at junction turn right, take first left - Harpur Hill.
at junction turn right - towards Bakewell.
at junction turn left.
at junction turn right (A515).
take first left (A5270).
at junction turn right (A6 Bakewell).
take left (A6020 Chesterfield).
at roundabout - 2nd exit.
at junction turn left
take first right (Chatsworth House)
at junction turn right (A6 Bakewell)
after centre reservation take a left (Ashbourne)
take first left (over stone bridge)
at junction turn left (A5012 Matlock)
turn right, then immediate left (B5023)
turn right (B5035 Carsington Water)
take left after Knockerdown Pub (Carsington Water)
at junction turn left (A517 Belper)
over traffic lights
the Railway Pub on left.

Leg 2

Turn right (A517 Ashbourne) out of the The Railway Pub carpark and turn right at the crossroads with the traffic lights (B5023 Wirksworth). Enjoy this rollercoaster road (careful of the hidden bends in the hidden dips) and enter Wirksworth. Turn left to stay on the B5023 (Ashbourne) up a very steep hill towards Middleton.

Now retrace your steps from earlier up this road to the junction and turn right. Turn left onto the A5012 Buxton. At the junction turn right (A515 Buxton) and enjoy the fast straights, quick bends and the great views. Turn left into a filter lane and retrace your steps back through Harpur Hill (take this left followed by an immediate right). In Harpur Hill, turn left towards Macclesfield (with the spectacular dip).

Ok nearly on the Cat and Fiddle now. When you come to the end of this road turn right (A53 Buxton). Turn sharp left (A537 Macclesfield). Now your back on the first part of the Cat and Fiddle.

Instead of going the full run, turn left onto the A54 Congleton. This is a fantastic stretch which is national speed limit and has virtually no straights - with a good view ahead allowing you to use all the road.

You come to crossroads with a set of lights - turn right (A523 Macclesfield) and head back into Macclesfield Town.

WELL DONE, GUYS - A FANTASTIC RUN - GIVE YOURSELVES A PAT ON THE BACK, EXCHANGE NUMBERS WITH YOUR NEW FOUND FRIENDS AND HEAD BACK TO IMOC.CO.UK TO POST UP YOUR PICS AND SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES!!!!

quick notes

right out of The Railway Pub (A517 Asbourne)
turn right at lights (B5023 Wirksworth)
in Wirksworth, turn right (B5023 Ashbourne)
at junction turn right, then left (A512 Buxton)
turn right (A515 Buxton)
turn left into filter lane then immediate right
turn left signposted Macclesfield
filter over to right and turn right (A53 Buxton)
take sharp left (A537 Macclesfield)
turn left (A54 Congleton)
at crossroad lights, turn right (A523 Macclesfield)
you are now in Macclesfield.

as you can see the directions are split into two legs with a detailed description and some quick notes to help people without a passenger to be able to have a quick glance and see what coming next.

below is the most upto date list but if you want to join us then could you please go to the end of the thread and past your name in the last list posted up.

see you there

alex.
Last edited by hicks on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Goldy

Re: cat and fiddle run. april 9th

Post by Goldy »

Might be up for this so you may as well put my name down... I'd prefer to meet somewhere around the manchester side of the cat n fiddle.

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN

hicks-mr2 turbo
goldy
ImageImage
hicks

Post by hicks »

last time we met near ripley. i met tom at his house then he led us to a pub where we met another guy and then convoyed over the cat and fiddle but only got half way before turning back as it was getting dark and weather had gone sour.

hopefully tom will be coming with us but he says he cant commit just yet.

we can see how many are interested then find a meeting place central to everyone and arrange mini convoys to the meeting place.

we are now upto 3 by the way.

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN

hicks - mr2 turbo
goldy
rob - supra tt
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Could always meet at the cat and fiddle itself?
ImageImage
hicks

Post by hicks »

could do. its a nice run upto it though and is always nice to go in a big convoy. might have a couple of impreza owning freinds interested aswell. looking at getting a big turn out with a variety of cars and making a regular event i.e. once a month once weather is good.

this will be a test run more than anything sorting out a good route. if we see what interest we get and sort out route meeting place for begining of next month then ill start spreading the word on a couple of other forums.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

A starter for 10! :D

(Click to read)

Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Put my name down.... I'll get in touch with bradda in his tubby too. \:D/
hicks

Post by hicks »

i was hoping you were going to show up tom. thats a belter of a route hope you can make it again.

ill add you to the list lee. better reponse than i expected with 4 on the list already. the more the merrier as far as im concerned.

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN

hicks - mr2 turbo
goldy
rob - supra tt
spittinflames - mr2 turbo
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

i wont be able keep up in my na, but i might be tempted come :)
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

rubbish rob... i've only got 120 horses... and i'll be showing the turbo owners how to drive the cat n fiddle :wink: Speed isn't important its all about the twisties :twisted:
ImageImage
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

i got nankangs coming on my new alloys though so i dont want be in a ditch lol
hicks

Post by hicks »

mate i wouldnt worry about keeping up with each other. its not about whos car is faster than the other but about enjoying the road and having a great day meeting new people.

now get your name down so i can own you na ass :lol:

joke. :clown:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

As of now its a yes from me! Will have to double check a bit closer to the time to garuntee though! If nothing else i'll be sure to add a bit of colour :tongue:
hicks

Post by hicks »

im impressed by the interest in this run. lets make it a huge event lads, tell all your mates. ill add you to the list neil and rob just say if you want it taking off dont worry about letting us down as there will be a few going anyway by the looks of things.

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN

hicks - mr2 MK2 turbo
goldy - mr2 MK2 NA
rob - supra tt
spittinflames - mr2 MK2 turbo
robbrookes5 - mr2 MK2 NA
neil_turbo - mr2 MK2 turbo
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Count me in :thumleft: . Missed Toms similar run last time round. Been wanting to do the Cat and Fiddle for ages. Do you have any idea of mileage so I can get a rough idea of petrol costs as I would be coming from the wirral.
Thanks!
Dan :D
hicks

Post by hicks »

not sure about mileage mate tbh. planning on doing a pre run on my own next month to test the route and find a stopping place as the cat and fiddle pub wont have enough parking space for the amount that wil be attending.

CAT AND FIDDLE RUN

hicks - mr2 MK2 turbo
goldy - mr2 MK2 NA
rob - supra tt
spittinflames - mr2 MK2 turbo
robbrookes5 - mr2 MK2 NA
neil_turbo - mr2 MK2 turbo
blue2 - mr2 MK2 NA
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

how many miles would be good though and a few points incase people get lost address that sorta thing, to punch in sat nav lol

but miles would really be useful then we know how much it might cost :)
leewaring

Post by leewaring »

Last time I drove the Cat and Fiddle had a kamakazi sheep bambble down the hill and on the road infront of me! Managed to stop in time =D> Was a great run to do. I'll have to commit nearer the time tho
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Rob you having new wheels?? What you doin with the lexarse ones :-k
hicks

Post by hicks »

hes selling the wheels in the forsale section i believe.

im going to try and roughly calculate mileage for you guys as well as print maps of the route off for the day so that people will have directions if they lose the convoy and it means we dont have to worry about overtaking and making sure the car behind doesnt lose us.

Return to “Past Events”