Oil Temp ??? Rev 1 Turbo

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Drummer_andydrum

Oil Temp ??? Rev 1 Turbo

Post by Drummer_andydrum »

Can anyone tell me what oil temp a rev 1 turbo should run at normally. I am using a sandwich plate adapter between the oil filter and the oil cooler to monitor mine but the readings I seem to get are a bit hot !! I dont know if the exhaust down pipe maybe influencing the readings as it is quite close to the oil temp sender gauge.
^Trickster^

Re: Oil Temp ??? Rev 1 Turbo

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Best place for oil temperature readings is in the sump. they can be irratic and altered by other things in most other places.

Graeme
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I'm currently taking my reading via the same method. Mine will sit at 90 degrees whilst just pottering around of boost, between 95-100 degrees on boost in town and between 100-110 degrees on the motorway with very little effort to be honest!

I'm also removing the probe for the oil temp and re-locating it into the sump. This is because i've a new oil-cooler to fit which means removing the sandwich plate that's on there now. In any case I too have been informed that the sump is the most accurate place to take the reading from :wink:

Mikejc
Drummer_andydrum

Oil Temp ??? Rev 1 Turbo

Post by Drummer_andydrum »

Hi thanks for that, thats the readings Im getting. How are you going to mount it in the sump ?? Are you going to utilise the sump drain plug and use and adapter or drill another hole and mount it that way ??
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I did look into using the sump drain plug as a means. But it proved to hard to find something in the UK market although I believe they are availible in Japan. In any case, I think the probe would have been likely to get damaged after time due to oil changes every 3000 miles :cry:

The plan is now to drill the sump in a suitible location and with the aid of a nut, a couple of washers and some silicone seel, to plumb the oil temp probe in here for what I hope to be a more accurate reading :D

Mikejc

Return to “Mechanical”