Handbrake cables

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

moon_monster

Handbrake cables

Post by moon_monster »

my drivers side caliper is seizing due to the handbrake cable, do i replace both of the rear cables or just the one?

Cheers Peeps
Brian_S

Re: Handbrake cables

Post by Brian_S »

You can change them individually. Good job really, they're about £30ea!
Baker

Post by Baker »

best do both..specially with the cold weather here.
reggie

Post by reggie »

What car is it? If it's the Mk1 your handbrake cable is actually in 3 parts and personally I would replace the lot (while you're at it and all that). As a bare minimum, I would get the 2 main parts replaced.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

reggie wrote:What car is it? If it's the Mk1 your handbrake cable is actually in 3 parts and personally I would replace the lot (while you're at it and all that). As a bare minimum, I would get the 2 main parts replaced.

FWIW, the mk2 handbrake cable is in 3 parts too - but you don't normally have to replace the part that runs from the handbrake inside the car down to the underside - normally you just have to replace the pair going to the rear calipers. Its worth cleaning up the rear calipers too if at all possible too to make sure the mechanism doesn't gum up with road grime.
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

Actually they are £48 each..I just had to get a couple off my mr T. Basts!
nutter

Post by nutter »

Try brakes international. They do a discount for Imoc members. I think mine cost me around £40 for both sides. The front cable is a bit of a mare to replace. Mine snapped so i had no choice. but as others have said it's normally fine cos most of its inside the car.

thanks
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

aaargh!! You got em for only £20 each! I have been shatfed once more grrr Mr T!..Yoouuu xxxxxx! :x
nutter

Post by nutter »

sorry m8 :lol: the details were under affiliates on the old site, it wasn't a secret :). Plus they do next day delivery.
Baker

Post by Baker »

yeah..as a rule, go to toyota at the LAST resort. thieving so and so's

Return to “Mechanical”