Which Car Would You Choose

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jasona

Which Car Would You Choose

Post by jasona »

OK guys

Two adverts

Which one would make you feel warmer than the other.

Ad 1
1992 TOYOTA MR2 G LTD 2.0,
J reg. 80000 miles, black, 1yrs MoT, tax, new tyres and brakes, major service Jan, e/w, e/m, pas, CAT1, vgc. £2,600.

Ad2
1995 TOYOTA MR2 GT Sports 2dr
Coupe, Met Green, M Reg Revised Ed. 86,000 miles, manual,good condition, FSH, well cared for car. Alloy wheels K+N air filter, uprated stereo/speakers, AC EW F/Fogs,Clifford Cat1 Alarm,just serviced,Taxed/MOT. £3,650 . ono.
ENSMR2

Re: Which Car Would You Choose

Post by ENSMR2 »

I take it these are ones your considering to buy?

The second piccy looks black though. Or is that just me!

Both seem good. AD 1 has new tyres and brakes and major service so thats good

AD 2 has just been serviced. It has higher mileage than the earlier car in ad 1.

so its down to choice really. See them both and decide. Both look clean
michael

Post by michael »

Number 2 appeals more - the car looks unmolested, has a few sensible mods and doesn't have a missing front light. It's also newer and the green is a really nice colour.

I don't like the wheels on the first one, the missing light throws the "vgc" out of the window.

Not sure on pricing for NAs these days.
jasona

Post by jasona »

Yeah I'm looking at the first one tonight and the second too if I'm not too impressed with the first - I do like the price of the first and the mileage is less - however the seconds is REV3 - but it has an induction kit and is not called a G-Limited so I'm not sure what the insurance is going to be like as I have only got a quote on the G-Limited.

My gut is to go for the first because its £1000 cheaper new brakes tyres and a £300 service and a new MOT...but I don't want excitement to get in the way of clear judgement.
michael

Post by michael »

Don't read into the name on the 2nd one too much - it's an import NA so it's a G-Limited (or a G but that's unlikely).
Grajey

Post by Grajey »

All things being equal I'd go REV3 every time.

Besides it's dark green which is a relatively rare colour. It does look good in the flesh, something you can't see in a pic.

80k or 86k is neither here nor there in terms of mileage these engines can cover if looked after.

Spend the extra and get the later model. You'll only regret it later.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Id definatley go for the Rev 3 if they are both in a similar condition! Not sure about NAs but I know Turbos have a greatly improved suspension setup from Rev 2 onward. The first add looks like it could be a rev 1 car. Its also got a fog and a side light missing. Take your time when looking. You dont need to rush into buying the wrong car!
And they both appear to be imports!!

Rory
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I too would suggest the 2nd. 6000 miles makes no odds. Both cars look like imports despite ad2 saying it's a GT. Having just bought an N/A myself (may last year) I do regret not spending a bit extra on a later car (or even a Turbo which you'll find yourself wanting in about three months).
I paid £3100 for mine (k-reg with a bit of SH and 115000 on clock), seems that I bought mine a few months too early as the bottom has fallen out of the prices - only real difference was T-bar and UK spec (imports are usually cheaper - but very little difference (I had to buy UK because of w@nk insurers))

Anyway, would suggest later model any day.
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Have to say for me it would be the rev3.

Mileage should be no problem. Plus that green colour is one of the nicest MR2 colours you can get. But as mentioned already don't rush into buying one. I spent two months looking for a totally standard and untouched NA (only to go down the serious mod route!!!)

Some I looked at had slight accident damage or had not been looked after. It is worth getting the most for your money so take your time.
craig

Post by craig »

I reckon the rev 3 defo :wink:
JJ

Post by JJ »

No1's the quicker one ! :D

No.2 has nicer asthetics.
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Rory

Post by Rory »

JJ wrote:No1's the quicker one ! :D

No.2 has nicer asthetics.

I didnt think of that JJ. How much quicker is the Rev 1 over the Rev 3 NA? Surely there cant be much in it?

Rory
jasona

Post by jasona »

I'm off to look at the 2nd one now first one maybe later :)

One thing from an insurance point of view

I have a good quote on an MR2 G-Limited

This car doesn't seem to say G-Limited however its not a turbo i.e. GTS so should I still insure this as a G-Limited ?
Rory

Post by Rory »

How old are you Jansona? What kind of quotes you been getting on a g-limited? Im sure it wont make much difference as they are both imports. If I was you though id get an insurance quote on the car before you buy it.

Rory
JUIC'IN

Post by JUIC'IN »

jasona wrote:I'm off to look at the 2nd one now first one maybe later :)

This car doesn't seem to say G-Limited however its not a turbo i.e. GTS so should I still insure this as a G-Limited ?

Thats because it is a UK car, therefore G-Limited doesn't exist in England only Japan. Thats why the car is a GT.
michael

Post by michael »

JUIC'IN wrote:

Thats because it is a UK car

Is it?
Rory

Post by Rory »

JUIC'IN wrote:

Thats because it is a UK car, therefore G-Limited doesn't exist in England only Japan. Thats why the car is a GT.

They are both imports. If you look at the first picture you can see the orange side marker infront of the front wheel. If you look at the second car its got a jap spec rear plate.
JUIC'IN

Post by JUIC'IN »

Thought you of all people would of noticed that!
JUIC'IN

Post by JUIC'IN »

Rory wrote:
JUIC'IN wrote:

They are both imports. If you look at the first picture you can see the orange side marker infront of the front wheel. If you look at the second car its got a jap spec rear plate.

Very unlikely the car is a GT then & has a FSH......... :?:
Rory

Post by Rory »

JUIC'IN wrote:Thought you of all people would of noticed that!

Who me? or Michael?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”