Bedford Autodrome anyone?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonb-

Bedford Autodrome anyone?

Post by jonb- »

Looking at doing a trackday at the autodrome before heading over to wales just as a shakedown (first one in the '2, more run off at bedford and closer to home if something brakes :))

Would anyone be interested in joining me? It'd be an open pitlane day on the full 4 mile gran turismo circuit sometime in Febuary / March.
Bender Unit

Re: Bedford Autodrome anyone?

Post by Bender Unit »

I would love to in the Hachi. Thing is it would need to be later on in the year - Car lands Feb and I will have to get it registered, MOTed, converted etc

Want to get the suspension set up properly so an open pit lane would be excellent and the Bedford track is supposed to be very good.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

The GT circuit is a wonderful layout in my opinion and you get all the benifit of an airfield circuit (ie nothing to hit, no horrible gravel) with a track type layout and surface.

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/track ... uctID=1225 gives you a great amount of track time (7.30 sign on time). So tempting.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Very tempted.
Need to brush out those trackday cobwebs..its been a while!

Like the sound of lots of run off area etc. Bedford Autodrome was one of the circuits on my shortlist to do! Will have my new Tein's on by then as well so should see a vast improvement in the handling. Bring it on!
Dependant on date...count me in!
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Wow only £119 for the day!

If you want to do somthing for March or even a bit later I am in. It will be nice to break my AE86 in as I mean to go on :twisted:

Until my Hachi lands I can commit to owt. knowing my luck it will blow up on the docks.

Think I might be struggling to keep up with you turbo owners in my AE86, or maybe not :-k :mrgreen: Engage "Ken Nomura" driving stiles ..... 8-[ :mrgreen:
lower

Post by lower »

The s2000 club is doing a day there on the 29th april. Anyone that is interested in attending from the IMOC would be very welcome.PM me if interested.

We did a club day there in december last year with the full GT circuit. Its a good circuit with some interesting corners, load of run off (you don't get black flagged if you spin) and a non abrasive surface. Down sides are that the noise restrictions are strictly enforced, the circuit takes some time to learn because its so long, and its a brake killer with 2 long straights with chicanes or tight corners at the end.

Very enjoyable circuit.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I may well be interested in this to shake down this season's race car ahead of the MR2 challenge series starting in April.

Mental note to self: must renew race license! #-o

Rogue
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

What's the noise limit on the race car? Bedford are very strict at 101db iirc
peterjf

noise limits at bedford

Post by peterjf »

last year my mr2 turbo and at least 8 other cars were black flagged for a drive-by noise limit of 87 decibels at bedford, at entrance to circuit it was 101.i have never been stopped for noise at any other circuit so always read small print on booking form. on a previous visit no probs?. marshall said it was todo with atmospherics but council who licence track wouldnt accept,SO BEWARE bedford to expensive to get done for noise,superb track otherwise.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Bummer. Just realised the track day is on a Friday and i have no holiday left until the beginning of April! Gutted.
:(
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

I've done three trackdays in my tubby at Bedford and had no noise issues whatsoever.

If you give them a ring, you can pop down and have your car static noise tested.

Could be quite interested in this, although I am already there on 25th February with the Ford RSOC to give them a bit of competition!
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

........... and for a very cool picture:

8)
Redrummo

Post by Redrummo »

I was just thinking about doing my first trackday in a car the other day and then i read your email about the autodrome! Its only down the road me too! :D

Im a little worried (not that worried really but......) about the noise restrictions. I dont want the stress of dishing out cash only to be turned away! #-o

I have a mongoose with decat. I dont think its that loud but can anybody give me comfort it will meet the restrictions?? :-k

I think i will pop by and check first.

Other wise count me in. \:D/

Excited and looking forward to it!
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Red, i'm heading down their this saturday hopefully for a noise check. Gonna phone them later on, i'll let you know the result. (i'm worried too about the driveby)
Redrummo

Post by Redrummo »

I just tried them and they said i need to talk to a chap called Alex who is out right now - I left a number and he is gonna call me back later.

I actually have a basic noise meter at work so at some point today I'll try and give it some beans (Fingers in ears !) and see what the noise is like approximately............ [-o< [-o< [-o<

Lets keep posted.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

I just phoned the guys mobile - they can only do noise tests weekdays so i'm looking at running over friday am everything permitted.
Redrummo

Post by Redrummo »

He just called me back - gave me the Bedford number (01234 332400 Phil)

Told me the same. Gonna try to skip work early (any excuse) and get there this afternoon otherwise another weekday.

[/quote]
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

You get over? I'm heading there for 10am friday.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Jon,

FWIW Bookatrack will loan you a noise meter in the post for about £10 allowing you do to your own noise tests - I did this when I got my Roadster and again after I turbo'd it.

Then again, if you need an excuse to drive down there ... :)

Ben.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Ben, Bedford are REALLY strict and you'll quite often pass on the static test only to be blackfagged at the start of an event for failing a drive by test.

Friday they'll get me to run past a sound guage at full chat, saves me paying my £120 and getting 2 laps out of it!

Fortunately i'm only 45 minutes away.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”