AP Calipers and custom discs on a MK1 with 15" wheels..

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

AP Calipers and custom discs on a MK1 with 15" wheels..

Post by tonigmr2 »

Its tight, very very tight! But looking good. :D :D

michael

Re: AP Calipers and custom discs on a MK1 with 15" wheels..

Post by michael »

Precious!!!

LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

:shock: :shock: How much did that set you back Toni?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Dunno yet!

Gonna post some more piccies in a minute...other stuff done :D
T
Jon Bradley

Post by Jon Bradley »

nice!
Last edited by Jon Bradley on Tue May 02, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Shoulda positioned the wheel better so could see the calipers perhaps!

Literally 2-3mm clearance, I've even got to re-position the balancing weights as there's no room for them to be stuck on the inside of the wheel now!!
T
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

very trick indeed. Like that a lot.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

What have you done with the rears Toni?

Oh and what a tart! ;)
pistol supercharged pete

Post by pistol supercharged pete »

very very nice
how much please say:)
i want a brake upgrade on mine i am just not happy with them at all
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Upgrade to 16" wheels?
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Looking really good Toni

What size are the disks ?

...... <compares them to the teeny early Mk1 fronts> ;)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Lauren wrote:What have you done with the rears Toni?

Oh and what a tart! ;)

Yes I am a tart :D

To answer all this costs IRO £1K. Not cheap because there are no off-the-shelf solutions hence custom mounting brackets etc. However, I've chatted up the chaps who made it fit and they might offer it as a kit/conversion if there is enough interest...

Not sure of diameter of discs yet, no time to measure them when I was there, but I will have full specs shortly.

Rears are standard calipers, black diamond grooved discs Lauren, unfortunately AP don't cater for the handbrake else I would've done both...I'm going to suck it and see, possibly with adjustable bias valve for playing.

T
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

thats a lovely brake conversion toni ,i like that a lot....2-3mm is plenty of clearance,i only had a mil on my st205 conversion if you remember so it will be fine.

One little point though, "there are no off the shelf solutions"? yes there are,the ST165/185 single and twin pot calipers will bolt straight onto a mk1 hub without the need for mounting brackets,hell you can even use its disc too as it has the same 54mm centre,pop the 4 stud holes into its face,job done for a few hundred quid which includes new discs,this will work as is with 15" wheels too.As for a rear upgrade bolt on some rev2 turbo rear calipers,slightly bigger piston but the beauty of these is they allow a much wider disc...the corrado G60 front discs (vented 280mm) fit straight on with no mods.The only thing you need to do to the tubby rear calipers to get them to work is reposition their mounting holes by 10mm,i found it childsplay to be honest and it was a cracking rear upgrade.

Of course we know about the st205 front upgrade but cant be used with 15's but that too bolts straight on and should work with a 16.

Are you going to use braided hoses with that set up? what are you using for suspension? we need more updates!

Just in case anyones new to mk1 brake upgrades and fancies a read http://www.mr2mk1club.com/Bigbrakes.html
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Hi Paul, what I meant was AP don't do any off-the-shelf kits for MK1s! I was aware of the other solutions, it's just I'm a bit of a tart and fancied going this route! :D

Yep braided hoses already on there, along with master cylinder brace, 5.1 fluid and a new MC 'cos I don't want any problems.

Leda gas double adjustable coilovers too! I can adjust for hard/soft and bump/rebound. Excellent and a huge improvement on the Konis I had on there.

Interested on tubby brakes on the rear, I genuinely thought there was no difference in caliper size as they take the same pads as MK1 later rears, hence didn't think they would make any difference. Might take a look now.

T
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

ah im with you now...nice suspension,ive got a set of ohlins full adjustable coilovers going onto lily soon,26 stage adjustable dampers,cusco adjustable top mounts too...of course i can adjust the ride height but cant do anything about the spring preload,can yours be adjusted this way without it affecting the height? apparently the newer stuff has adjustable preload?

Yeah slightly bigger rear piston,same pads as mk1 but the big bonus is the width of disc it allows ,25mm thick from memory which lets you use a vented disc on the rear of a mk1 which is cool.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Ooo, I should add I've got the Cusco adjustable top mounts. They are a SERIOUSLY sexy peice of kit.

Leda are 24 position dampening, and I am very impressed with how they keep the tyres in contact with the road. My car is lowered, can't remember spring rates off top of my head...also have got uprated bushes. I'm very happy with the car's handling!

Thanks for the tip on tubby calipers, kicking myself as I sold them all off the tubby I broke!

T
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

lol yeah now using cusco top mounts on a mk1 is total tarts behaviour given that the cambers can already be adjusted at the hub!

They do look rather marvellous though!!, my ohlins set up is ready to bolt on too,getting quite excited about that...are you doing the mk2 turbo rear anti roll bar upgrade? thats one of the best cheap mods going,it made a big big difference on the turbo.

Im looking for a set of superflex poly bushes if you know where i can get them cheap? the going rate at fensport seems to be around £150 +vat....is there a cheaper alternative?
vashy

Post by vashy »

Paul Woods wrote:...are you doing the mk2 turbo rear anti roll bar upgrade?

Paul do you know the width of the tubby ARB?

John
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

its width mate? about 4ft...or do you want the bar diameter? i think its 14mm but dont quote me on that,i will check both dimensions today for you.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Paul - I've managed to get hold of an original TRD rear ARB for the MK1, hence shall be using that. It looks pretty much the size of the tubby one though tbh.

Got my bushes from Fensport many moons ago and did pay that price! However, I've noticed TRD bushes for AW11s on ebay several times for cheaper money, so just keep an eye out, specially with the dollar so weak at the moment.

T

Return to “Modifications”